LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
While traveling around I always try and use Park & Ride when visiting Towns, only to find height restrictions. Visiting Chester I was pleased to find they have parking for Motorhomes in fact they show a notice anyone parking a car will be fined. Why can,t other Towns provide this. I am sure there must be more, if any Funsters have found them please let me know.

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Durham - Sniperley P & R to the north west of the city. Don't think you can overnight there though!

And, of course, Canterbury at Dover Old Road....

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ipswich has two P+Rides .. one has a barrier.. the other doesn't..

The one on London Road , just off the A12 near the junction with the A14 has no height barrier..

The one at Martlesham on the A12 has a height barrier.

However.. I read recently that they are installing a barrier at the London Road site .. so check before arriving.

EDIT

just found the info for Ipswich

Are height barriers installed at any of the Park & Ride sites?
Yes. A height barrier is installed at the Martlesham entrance. This barrier measures 6 feet, 6 inches (2 metres) in height. London Road is due to have a height barrier installed in 2014.

- See more at: Broken Link Removed

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've used the one at Chester, very good although only parking for 5/6 vans and bit tight for all you large rigs.

I think Bath Landsdown hill park and ride is ok but check first been a few years since I've used it.

Why don't more towns have them? Cos they shortsightedly keep trying to keep us out, instead of making provision for us and our pennies.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I love using the Ipswich P+R .. it's cheaper than driving into town and paying parking charges, also less stressful .. but once we buy a Campervan and have no other vehicle, we will not be able to use... so our visits to Ipswich will be severely reduced..

I fully understand why they install height barriers.. but why can't they install them so they can be opened on request..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I try to maintain references to all P&R sites from Motorhome Parking, with details of whether or not it is possible to park motorhomes there.

Height barriers tend to be installed for good reasons, like not having to continually spend tens of thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money dealing with the after effects of unauthorised camp sites. If anyone wishes to know the reason at a specific site then send an e-mail to the council concerned and they will tell you.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Two park and rides in Truro.
Park and ride in Falmouth during the season, Park and float! if the tide is right. all for a fiver, per unit

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Park n ride in Scarboro has no height restrictions, tho as far as we could see, no marked bays for MHs.

StickyWicket

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, Bury St. Edmunds has 4 specified MH only bays in a car park very close to town centre. Only suitable for up to 7 metres I would say but very convenient and reasonably priced. We used it midweek in September whilst travelling from Lowestoft to Cambridge. I cannot imagine you can use it for overnighting but great for a shopping trip. We were pleasantly surprised as to how nice the town is.
Denis

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Salisbury has one, on the main road south.

It certainly does. I have only ever seen three or four rigs in there. As you can see from the overhead the larger vehicles or car caravan combos can pull up in the longer marked bays, as they have made the bays small or large.

Salisbury South Park & Ride.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just for your information we drove to pick our daughter up at Ingilston tram station (Edinburgh new trams) to save is driving MH into city and they had loads of parking with no hight barriers. They did have signs up saying no overnight parking allowed, ideal place if you want to visit the city and only a couple of pound for the journey.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just for your information we drove to pick our daughter up at Ingilston tram station (Edinburgh new trams) to save is driving MH into city and they had loads of parking with no hight barriers. They did have signs up saying no overnight parking allowed, ideal place if you want to visit the city and only a couple of pound for the journey.
The individual pages for each Edinburgh P&R site (including the Fife and Midlothian ones) can be accessed from Here. Each page gives details of any height restrictions. Wallyford actually states "Motorhome parking allowed".

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Two park and rides in Truro.
Park and ride in Falmouth during the season, Park and float! if the tide is right. all for a fiver, per unit
Only the Truro West P&R is currently open, but has a designated MH section & is an easy drive from the A30. Great value - day ticket £1.80 or £1 concession. The East PR is due for completion Jan-May 2015.
Haven't used Falmouth car parks for years, so I don't know if they have designated MH spots. I tend to P&R in Truro then go to Falmouth on the train.
Taunton has height barriers.
Stratford has height barriers.
Shrewsbury has height barriers, but if you find the brick cabin and talk to the staff they'll let you in or tell you to park on the cobbled area.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
While traveling around I always try and use Park & Ride when visiting Towns, only to find height restrictions. Visiting Chester I was pleased to find they have parking for Motorhomes in fact they show a notice anyone parking a car will be fined. Why can,t other Towns provide this. I am sure there must be more, if any Funsters have found them please let me know.

Just in case you were not aware, you can also park on the Roudee car park in Chester 5 min walk into Chester City Centre and stay overnight for £1.50p , normal car park charges in the day.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi, Bury St. Edmunds has 4 specified MH only bays in a car park very close to town centre. Only suitable for up to 7 metres I would say but very convenient and reasonably priced. We used it midweek in September whilst travelling from Lowestoft to Cambridge. I cannot imagine you can use it for overnighting but great for a shopping trip. We were pleasantly surprised as to how nice the town is.
Denis
Yes, you can stay overnight. I have done several times. Each time I was the only one there.

If you are breaking an overnight journey & want to be on the road by 8am, it's even free! Travelled down for an early morning appointment a few miles beyond Bury St. Edmunds, left home after dinner, avoided all the rush hour traffic on the A14 both evening & morning, arrived nice & refreshed for my appointment.

Not what B St. E provided it for of course, but I suppose I made a small contribution to reducing the rush hour traffic. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Taunton has height barriers.
Stratford has height barriers.
The height barriers at Taunton P&R are set at 3.5 metres so motorhomes under 3.5 metres can get in.
The barriers at Stratford were introduced when the site was altered to accommodate a new railway station (I think). At the same time, alternative motorhome parking was provided at the Leisure Centre Car Park (formerly Riverside).

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good to know both those things GJH, as we're regular travellers to both towns & weren't aware of those alternatives, thanks!

Reactions: GJH
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yep you are right cwh the east is still being built, more or less where the A390 and the A39 meet, used to be the old Cattle Markets

Falmouth P&R is only open for "the season", bays are big enough for a 6mtr, as long as you have a ticket in the window, and are parked in sensible way, then everything is A OK
The Quarry Car Park, only a short walk to town centre, will accommodate a 6mtr IF YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT BAY! I have parked there quite a few times in the M/H with no hassle, As I've already said you need to chose the right bay!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Cornwall Council's web site has full details for off street car parks, including height & weight limits and notes where there are no motorhome bays.

I've been in touch with the Service Delivery Supervisor at Truro P&R today and he confirmed that there are Motorhome parking facilities on site. They are located along the top edge of "Oak" Car Park, spaces for at least 4 medium sized Motorhomes. He also said he will ask the County Council to add information to their web site.

I've also sent an enquiry to Falmouth Park & Ride/Float.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Gosh GJH what brilliant "service"! [in other words, what a star you are, what a wealth of useful knowledge you share with us!] Thank you.

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Exeter park and ride at Marsh Barton has spaces for large vehicles and extra space for bus driver to open gates, but not on Sundays as the area is taken over by a large car boot sale.
Don

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's a good spot to wait when picking up from the airport, especially if there is a delay and you don't want to pay the extortionate airport parking charges.

If the passenger hasn't a lot of luggage they could even get the tram or 35 bus to Ingilston P&R.

Pick-up parking at the airport isn't easy or well marked - the designated pick up and drop off is in the multi-story but there is an open air carpark beside the multi-story. Not sure how to get in there though as I had the car not the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back