Query re Electricity on Aires, (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Ive noticed that on some Aires there is the provision of obtaining electricity.

However, I've also noticed that on some the provision is for say 1hour costing say 2€.

Can I ask, Why would anyone want lekky for such a short period of time? It's not enough time to charge up the batteries. What am I missing?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have no idea, only ever use it if I can stay plugged in. Cheapest to date was in Brittany, 5€ for the night with water and electric. Seemed rude not to (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I can't say I've ever understood what such a short burst of electricity would achieve either, especially via a pay as you go service point socket, but I've had to drive over peoples' extension cables to get to the service point drain before now. I rarely use the free EHU points, never mind the pay ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When you think about it , if you are on hookup you probably don't use more than a couple of hours in a night unless you have heating and all the works on mains, but it's ok if you just have the odd things that need to be hooked up, such as hair drier , microwave , Hoover, charge laptop , etc but saying that most iv seen is lecy or water , same price never tried if they both work together as we very rarely use hookup anyway (y)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
but I've had to drive over peoples' extension cables to get to the service point drain before now.
The only ones I've ever use it on are old municiple sites that have been converted to aires, you get proper pitches on them so no risk to your power cable. :cool:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You can charge your phones and laptop and not take anything out of your batteries. Indeed, put a little in. It might not be much but saving what you might have taken out of the batteries and putting a little in is a good plan in winter when you solar is not doing anything. Plus you can use a microwave and anything else. A no brainer for just 2 euros

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This aire was €5 water+electric for 24hrs (EDIT 48hrs)
tarrif-XL.jpg

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We use short time hook up for Nespresso machine, Towel Rail, hair dryer and toaster
One thing to consider is that at some Airs that your 2€ is for elec AND 100ltr water, so you can't get one without the other.
Regards
Robert

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Gwen did get some funny looks when she took her hair drier to the borne expecting to be able to plug it in an dry her hair.
She never made that mistake again!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have never used the borne ehu pay on aires. Not really needed to.
But I have often wondered - If you put in your 2 euros do you get both electricity (+/-1 hour) and water (+/- 100l)? Or is it one or the other?:unsure:

I ask this because I once noticed someone connecting to the ehu but not putting any money in the machine.
Was he getting electricity paid for by someone else who was paying to fill up with water?o_O

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You get both electricity and water on most. What is common is for people (mainly french) to connect their electricity if they are nearby when you have taken your water and driven off.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You get both electricity and water on most. What is common is for people (mainly french - or Scottish!!!) to connect their electricity if they are nearby when you have taken your water and driven off.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Marcoing Aire near Cambrai offers free electric but only when street lighting comes on and goes off at daybreak also free water. I tripped our supply (overloaded) but after about 5mins power came back on. There are eight spaces and is in a nice quiet location.

Rob

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
You get both electricity and water on most. What is common is for people (mainly french) to connect their electricity if they are nearby when you have taken your water and driven off.
Mmm, thats what I thought.
So, if you keep you lead plugged in you can have almost unlimited electricity so long as someone else is paying for water!
I was first suspicious of this a few years ago at the aire in Giffaumont-Champaubert.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Mmm, thats what I thought.
So, if you keep you lead plugged in you can have almost unlimited electricity so long as someone else is paying for water!
I was first suspicious of this a few years ago at the aire in Giffaumont-Champaubert.

In theory. But if someone else wants water and electricity you would need to disconnect, of course they might not know how long you have been connected for, but if they do ...

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Possibly on most, but definitely not all as we discovered last week. Token in the unit and had to choose either/or. As a result we blocked the borne for an hour as it would not take another token for water for us or anyone else until we disconnected.

A little embarrassing, but only a few users on the Aire, and only one approached us looking to top up his tank. As we were in the last ten minutes of the hour he was happy to wait. An apology in French elicited a big grin and "Pas de problem, Monsieur".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back