LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just done a price comparison for next years trip..

Both sailings,,

Portsmouth to Le Harve, 2300 sailing arrive 0800, recliner seats,, L.D. Lines = £170. :thumb:

Portsmouth to Caen, 2300 sailing arrival 0800, recliner seats. Brittany Ferries = £302. :whatthe:

L.D.Lines Friday night sailing.
Brittany Saturday night sailing.

Saving £132..

L.D.Lines no Frills just basic crossing mainly used by truckers..
Only 90 kilometers approx between both ports.

Only guesstimated the size of truck and 5er. till I get it.. :Doh:

I know it would be cheaper to go from Dover to Calais but I would have 332 kilometers and about 9-10 hrs drive to get from Weymouth to Dover and about the same distance and time to get back down the other side to approx locality of Alencon..

I thought the L.D.Lines was a reasonable deal,, What say you ? :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi old-mo.

It can be daunting choosing the best ferry crossing however the one that you have selected for your trip sounds fine.

We have friends who very regularley use LD Lines to travel to France where they have a couple of businesess. Then on to Spain where they have a couple of Villas. They swear by LD Lines. They have reccomended them to us before. They tell me that they are predominantley used by truckers but always come up with good deals. They have never had a problem with them and these are the kind of folks who would tell me and the world if there was anything amiss.

Cheers Jim :Smile:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we always use L D line they are great . good on price and the staff treat you like you are on a cruise . the boats are clean and the food on board is first class.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know it would be cheaper to go from Dover to Calais but I would have 332 kilometers and about 9-10 hrs drive to get from Weymouth to Dover and about the same distance and time to get back down the other side to approx locality of Alencon..

I thought the L.D.Lines was a reasonable deal,, What say you ? :thumb:

332 km in 10 hours :Eeek::Eeek:

now i know you're new to 5ers but 20mph is just a bit too slow.:Doh:
you'll get done for loitering........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
332KM, since when were British roads measured in Km, miles it is and must always be, bring back gallons, feet and inches, pounds and ounces, £.s.d. We are British!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Here Here, Hee Hee

Lesley from Sunny Ilfracombe :Smile: ::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
332KM, since when were British roads measured in Km, miles it is and must always be, bring back gallons, feet and inches, pounds and ounces, £.s.d. We are British!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nah we are not......we are confused 'europeans'!

Signed up to the EU but our Government only wants the 'bits' it likes and ignores the rest.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Nah we are not......we are confused 'europeans'!

Signed up to the EU but our Government only wants the 'bits' it likes and ignores the rest.

Biggest mistake we ever made. We are BRITISH, we most certainly are, well you can be whatever you darn well please.
But me, I am British and proud of it. National identity and way of life is being blurred into mishmash of nothingness

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I alway find the various discounts I am suppose to be able to get daunting from organisation who can supposedly pass on discounts.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
332 km in 10 hours :Eeek::Eeek:

now i know you're new to 5ers but 20mph is just a bit too slow.:Doh:
you'll get done for loitering........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6 Stops for cuppa tea, and 17 fags,,

3 stops for the little boys room and another 12 fags,,,

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to work it out,, :winky::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

And it took me four an a half hours to work that out from miles to kilometers,, no bloody pleasing some folk,, :winky: :ROFLMAO:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Takes me 3 1/2 hours from Wimborne to Dover max and Id get from wimborne to weymouth in bout an hour so what you doing for the other 5 1/2 hours? :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Takes me 3 1/2 hours from Wimborne to Dover max and Id get from wimborne to weymouth in bout an hour so what you doing for the other 5 1/2 hours? :ROFLMAO:

Stopping off at a garage every hour at that speed,, :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
6 Stops for cuppa tea, and 17 fags,,

3 stops for the little boys room and another 12 fags,,,

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to work it out,, :winky::ROFLMAO:

with all that 'T' and fags i'd allow a little longer, just incase. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Biggest mistake we ever made. We are BRITISH, we most certainly are, well you can be whatever you darn well please.
I'm English......born 'n bred in England.

Nationalism is something 'brits' don't do particularly well. The days of the Empire and colonialism are thankfully long gone, but appear to have been replaced by Sun readers and the BNP.

RickB

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
south devon uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
four years+
I'm English......born 'n bred in England.

Nationalism is something 'brits' don't do particularly well. The days of the Empire and colonialism are thankfully long gone, but appear to have been replaced by Sun readers and the BNP.

I used to refer to myself as British until i worked in Wales, now i'm English, on my van i fly the cross of St George and the flag of my adoptive county Devon.
(As an aside St David was welsh all the other uk saints were foreign)
RickB

dethleff

Free Member
Aug 21, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
15 years
Pay that bit extra for SLEEPER SEATS not recliner seats, well worth it.

Stan

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

We use LD a lot with our motorhome. How anyone can say this is a trucker vessel beats me. Compared with other ships of other lines it has good seating, cabins and food services second to none. OK, truckers are well catered for but the normal traveller gets a fantastic trip at a price more competitive than say Brittany Ferries whose ships compare favourably wth LD. Next year there will be 2 ferries out of Portsmouth to Le Harve so avoiding a night crossing. I believe that LD are a much bigger ferry company and as they spread along the south coast we will see more competitive fares.Next year we are told LD will operate out of Dover beside Newhaven. Hopefully they may sneak into Poole our home port with cheaper crossings.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cost/Benefits

Hi

Thinking about this, I just done a cost analysis;

Same date (Jan 2009) Dover Calais Versus Portsmouth Le-Harvre

D-C = £47 Ports; Le-Havre = £144

Mileage saved 118 Cost= £37 Saved Net cost INCREASE = 106.81

(Ferry prices from "ferry cheap .com")

Pete

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
So let me get this right

Portsmouth - Le Havre..... £144
D-C £47+ £37 fuel.............£84
saving by going to dover of £60

That is a large percentage cheaper so are you going to Dover?

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
So let me get this right

Portsmouth - Le Havre..... £144
D-C £47+ £37 fuel.............£84
saving by going to dover of £60

That is a large percentage cheaper so are you going to Dover?

Sounds feasable,, but I was working out on the conservative side at approx 10/12 to the gallon..

Then once over I have to get from Calais to the vicinity of Le Harve/Caen,,

So I dont think there will be much saving, but a lot more driving.

So I will stick to the Portsmouth to Le Harve,, as Portsmouth is only 1-2 hours from me.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Are these fares single or return ? I have an 8metre MH and usually book through the caravan club, this year in April it was £56 return with sea france and p&o were £77. what discounts are available apart from the two main camping and caravan clubs. i forgot to mention the price was for driver + one passenger. :thumb:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ferry fares

Hi

Single fares both times. Driver + one passenger, mid January (I come back Bilbao-Portmouth in April ;; Note:-this ferry is "off" during January for maintenance) The Journey from Yorkshire to Dover is only slightly less than to Portsmouth. (9 Miles) Costs/Mileage based on 12mpg.

Another interesting fact is that the Portsmouth-Bilbao route at certain fare periods is actually cheaper than the cost of motoring thorough France, AND french diesel is currently dearer than the UK, first time ever??.

At this time "fery cheap" are undercutting BOTH clubs on fares.

pete

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

Just returned from France and Spain. The price of French fuel was 108 Euros, equates to 91P in GB when taking into account the conversion at say 0.8.
You are right PeteH the Bilbao trip is justified on cost taking into consideration the fuel used and the fare across the channel. Also when we cross its normally about Feb or early March so the comfort is essential. We were forced into the Bilbao trip having done the trip through France previously in minus 9 conditions, it was so hairy we kept driving until 03.30am so the vehicle would not freeze up. If some feel they would still travel through France at that time of the year choose the Le Havre, Rennes ,Nantes, La Rochelle, N137 to Marans, ( Super U cheap fuel and supermarket ) then to Bordeaux, thereafter motorway to Spain. This route, no tolls except small amount before entering Spain.
Stops :- Mont san Michel at service station ( don't park near lorries, get near to cafe doors), Marans Aire, Caprise de Blaye Aire ( don't miss after April Mun campsite in Blaye Citidel with views over Gironde-- Cockle shell heros), Bidart service area at the rear near toilets.
Have a nice day Ron W

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

We can`t leave before Xmas/New year, otherwise I would have already Gone!!!.
Our trip down last January was a disaster, with an enforced stop to wait for a New Alternator to be flown out, followed by 2 days of driving in "rain,hail,snow,wind" Oh and a low blinding sun in your eyes when it did appear!! added to by overnight frost, which required much de-frosting each morning!!. NOT nice. So I am not looking forward to a repeat this Jan; but we have no options if we want to go. Other than to wait `till Feb; when the Spanish boat comes out of dock.

Pete

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Still can't find a fare to beat Eurotunnel using Tesco clubcard vouchers, £61 or £15.25 in Tesco vouchers. We have always booked the cheapest fare we can but have usually been bumped on to an earlier train. Thought we found a good deal with Norfolkline, we could get one for £14 but it was for a motorhome up to 6 metres as mine is 7metres there was a supplement of £15 :Sad: I wonder if I could save another pound by booking 2 spaces at £14 each :RollEyes:
With Sea France I could get £22.50 using a 10% discount code.
These are for one way, we will just take our chance on booking a return as we would prefer to come home when we feel like not just because we have a ferry to catch.

When we have made our minds up on the date we are going I will try ringing around the different ferries to see if they have any sort of special deals on, I have in the past managed to get a bit more off by asking :thumb: We ae flexible with the times we can go which helps.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

The "chunnel" is a total non starter! You won`t get "Management" down a big pipe in the ground, ESPECIALLY with all that water overhead!!!. I have problems with some of the Alpine tunnels and they are at the most a matter of a few minutes long!!, we even have the "hebe-jeebies" with the tunnel on the aproach to Rouen.

The fare`s I quoted are for 9.4M R-V. With "toad".

pete

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Iv'e just done a ferry search [ prices ] for our forthcoming trip , I can cross from Dover Calais ,return £50. Sea France; or I can cross Portsmouth £ 225. return .LD lines LE HARVE. We live in Southampton so Portsmouth is the shortest route and rough estimates on diesel prices bring each crossing to roughly the same cost .I did my sums using TOM TOM milleage to Murcia. Portsmouth LD lines must be the winner as I dont have that horrible drive to Dover. I use A FERRY TO for my pricing and their quotes were cheaper than Sea France or LD Lines direct.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back