Burnt dusty smell from Transit heater. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Chausson which I bought is 7 tears old and they never went very far except for the summer holiday to France,, He worked for P&O so got a free trip every year. These were taken in the summer so they never used the van heater. When I got it I have used it more in the few months than they did in a year, but It is a bit chilly now so the heater was put on and the smell of hot dust is quite pronounced and unpleasant. I have tried putting my airline down the vents and putting the blower on full power when I am not in it, even vacuuming with my industrial cleaner but the smell persists. I suppose it will go but I do not like it at all ( It stinks and I sneeze)
Does anyone have a good idea to get the 7 years worth of accumulated dust and dirt out of it WITHOUT taking the dash and heater unit out. It is probably on the actual heater matrix buried depp in the unit.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What chassis is the Chausson built on?

Does it have a pollen filter - if so replace it. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It will take a long time to burn off the accumulated dust as there is no electric element to burn it off quickly.....But it will go eventually.
As said, pollen filters can become contaminated and they do stink so change it if there is one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Are we talking about the Transit cab heater or the heater in the living area. If the latter then telling us what make of heater it is may just help.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes PJ, I missed that bit :-(

To the OP, you could try getting the engine hot then leaving it running with the heater on full hot fan setting one, this might just burn off the accumulated dust. If you put the fan on higher than pos 1 the dust won't get hot enough to be burned off. After half an hour or so put the blower on full to remove the dust (putting your vacuum cleaner into the heater outlet at this point may help.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Face mask dust filter with cartridges I think for me until it goes away the living area heater is fine I blew that out with the airline. I want to use it in the cold time but only have so many thick jumpers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back