Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
My girl has an i pad with ios 5 on it but to get some apps she likes it says need to upgrade to ios 8, i looked into it and shows a monthly cost to do this is there a free way of getting ios 8 ?

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Settings / General / Software update.

Depends upon the age of the iPad ? Possibly will not download latest software if it's an older one. You should get a message to say either there is an update available or the one you have is the latest.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you can see a monthly cost you aren't looking at an IOS upgrade.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I have an older I pad and it cannot download the new ios8 not enough memory or something! All previous downloads have been free.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When you go into Settings/General/Software Update, if available it should show the latest update which is iOS 8.1, I downloaded it yesterday, I downloaded it onto an iPad3 and an iPhone4s with no problems and everything works as it should with no reduction with speed and Camera Roll is back on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Look at the iPad. On the front page should be an icon saying settings. Open this and you'll see the heading General. Open this and it'll tell you if there's a software update. Then follow the details on the iPad :)

No cost involved......ever :)

First picture shows settings. Mine shows a red number 1, as I'm due to update to IOS 8 too.
image.jpg

Next picture shows how to find the heading General.
image.jpg

And finally the last showing the details ref the software update.
image.jpg

Hope it helps :)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I have an older I pad and it cannot download the new ios8 not enough memory or something! All previous downloads have been free.

If you can't download because of lack of space you can get over this by connecting your iPad to your PC with the sync/charging cable, open up iTunes on your PC and you will get a prompt to download the latest iOS. To your iPad. ( Google IOS 8 and it will give you precise instructions)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007

Try downloading it onto your iTunes account and then update the iPad from that. You need extra memory to download it but not to run it. You could also try deleting any photos or music that you do not need.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
W
If you can't download because of lack of space you can get over this by connecting your iPad to your PC with the sync/charging cable, open up iTunes on your PC and you will get a prompt to download the latest iOS. To your iPad. ( Google IOS 8 and it will give you precise instructions)

wish I'd of realised that would of saved a bit deleting
just put ios8 on my iPad 2 at no cost

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Sorted it now , thanks for the replys i connected it to laptop i tunes and after a few hours of updating, getting past error messages, deleting stuff to make space and a few swear words it now has ios 8.1 upgraded and a few other things to do with clouds ? i can give it back to my girl in morning to make sense of it all now (y)

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we had all sorts of problems with ours when we "upgraded" to 8..its full of bugs. 8.1 came out a week later:cautious:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How do I connect my iPad to my iTunes account.?

I did it years and years ago but have completely forgotten.:blush:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
How do I connect my iPad to my iTunes account.?

I did it years and years ago but have completely forgotten.:blush:
Chris, connect your iPad to your PC with the Charger/sync cable, open iTunes on your PC and you will be offered the option of downloading iOS 8.1 to your iTunes on the PC and Syncing with your I Pad(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Chris, connect your iPad to your PC with the Charger/sync cable, open iTunes on your PC and you will be offered the option of downloading iOS 8.1 to your iTunes on the PC and Syncing with your I Pad(y)

Thanks for that.

I need to find my laptop. I don't think I have switched it on for about 4 years.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for that.

I need to find my laptop. I don't think I have switched it on for about 4 years.

You don't even need to do that. There are two other ways to do it:

If you do a major software update, to IOS8 for example, it will prompt you to enter your iTunes account details as part of the setup process.

The other way is go to SETTINGS>ITUNES & APP STORE and you will see it there at the top of the page.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you are having technical difficulties. Put the question in Google and nine out of ten an answer will appear. A lot of the time with youtube video. Google really is your friend (sometimes) but I would prefer if they paid their taxes!

We could do a lot as a society with the estimated 40 billion a year that goes missing......and maybe stop looking around for convenient scapegoats just like the nazis( rant over)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back