EHU Query (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I am hoping an electrical wizard can help me with what I think could be a solution to a niggle I have. I park my van on my drive up against neighbours fence very tight. Six to eight foot is between bungalow and fence very tight. So getting electric hooked up is a right faf on and not possible solo. Now the ehu socket is on passengers side against fence but I have a 240 socket on other side I can get to. So can I utalise this ? I have spare plugs leads etc is it plug and play or not Evan possible.

As always thanks in advance for any help offered Paul.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Your hook up connection is actually a PLUG not a socket. The hook up socket is on the end of your hook up lead.
The socket on the other side of your van is a SOCKET OUTLET not an inlet

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably using EHU on the drive will only be occasional so the simplest solution might be to park facing the other way when it is necessary. You can exit/enter the van through the passenger door and the EHU plug will be accessible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your hook up connection is actually a PLUG not a socket. The hook up socket is on the end of your hook up lead.
The socket on the other side of your van is a SOCKET OUTLET not an inlet
But you could make a lead with a plug on both ends.
no advisable though as the live pins are accessible in a plug which is the reason for the point on the van is a plug.....but it isnt live until you plug the lead in then the pins are sheathed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok then could I change my outlet into an inlet if so how ?
Simple answer is yes, you could change it to the same one as the hookup point.............BUT....
the pins in that plug would then be live and exposed when on hookup.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
But the only thing to be able to reach those pins be a spider lol. Think its best I struggle on as I am mmmmmmm what can I tinker with now

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you really need that extra inlet it is perfectly possible to do as suggested (one inlet on each side of the van). A simple switch inside the van would allow you to choose which one to use and would be perfectly safe.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As already stated by iandsm the simplest answer is to lay cable out and connect to EHU socket on side of MH and drive over cable into place, then plug in to mains socket................ sorted.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
But you could make a lead with a plug on both ends.
no advisable though as the live pins are accessible in a plug which is the reason for the point on the van is a plug.....but it isnt live until you plug the lead in then the pins are sheathed.
Exactly why I didn't suggest it. Imagine the consequences in the wrong hands

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I always plug the van in first. I NEVER trust 'strange' hook up points, or RCDs.....If you make that your 'operating procedure', it just becomes a habit. Same when un-hooking. live end out first.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Quote: But you could make a lead with a plug on both ends.

BOOM....................

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Or a right angle connector and tape the flap up vertical
CA_03011417035867-L.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That would help me a fair bit it really is pretty tight and chances are I'll snap it off at some point

If it's that tight I've got to take my hat off to your driving skills.

It should be pretty simple to move the inlet to the rear, blank off the side one.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Its tight really have to watch the awning on the fascia boards. My sprinter goes down the side no bother both vans have to come out bin day. Rather have it this way than a smaller van or one instorage though.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
If I have understood correctly,

You cannot really change the outlet on the side of the van to an Inlet or use a cable with three pins plugs either end as you will be connecting to the van circuit to the mains power the wrong side of all the protection, or consumer unit, for all of the circuit breakers and earth trips. If you have a problem with elec then the only protection you will have is a 13a fuse!

Have you considered connecting into the back of the EHU socket in the van, or use a 90deg connector as suggested on a shortish lead. Plug in manoeuvre the lead over the van so you can plug into this shorter lead with your usual one from the other side

Or why not exchange the socket on the side of the van with a shortish flying lead, coiled under the flap, this would allow the flap to close with the cable extended

Adrian

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Circuit breakers would work either way as it is AC however NOT recommended
Circuit breakers work when current is passed through them, so connecting mains to a socket outlet would allow current to pass from one socket outlet to another or indeed any other electrical appliance without passing throughout the circuit breaker, making it in effective

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes if there are multiple skts on the radial but it would have to pass through the breaker to the bus bar to feed the charger fridge water heater etc. They would also be protected by whatever protects the hook up lead. However this is hyperthetical talk and as I said NOT recommended or in line with regulations

tattoobluedog12345

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
manchester/ winton eccles
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato burstner A647
Exp
about 8
hi I have the same problem I have just bought another connector to fit on the opposite side to plug in my cable but when I come to fit it I cannot get access to my cable on the problem side as I need to remove the mains box inside the wardrobe but then I cannot get the bottom of the floor in the wardrobe out so im stumped now unless there is somewhere else I could connect it too.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have the same problem. My solution was to have a socket placed behind the van and make a coiled extending lead.
You plug in, and then reverse into the parking spot. The coiled lead is under tension and keeps clear of the ground and wheels as you reverse.
I made my lead from a scrap cable assembly from work but a similar lead can be purchased from RS components, albeit at a cost!!!!

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-power-cable/4516919/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back