Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
I've trawled the site to find plenty on the reversing judder in Fiat Ducato's. However, most seem to say that it does not occur on the 3lt engine. Well it does on our's. We bought a 2010 Autotrail Tracker with a comformatic gear box. Very pleased with it too. Have done around 3500 miles. OK so far but... we avoid reversing on any slopes or wet grass if we can avoid it. The judder is frightening.

Have spoken to the local Fiat people and .... well if I can understand the conversation correctly I should practise better clutch control or learn to drive. OK for the latter but the hell I can find the clutch peddle:)

My question is what causes this judder, and I hope I'm stating the obvious in thinking this is very bad for the whole unit. And as I'm due to have a yearly service can I tell the garage anything that might solve the problem? One local garage has already informed me they will not service auto gear boxes because they have so much trouble with them.

Doesn't sound good. Any thoughts?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One local garage has already informed me they will not service auto gear boxes because they have so much trouble with them.

I wouldnt want them anywhere near it......they obviously dont know what a comfortmatic box is.

It is a standard manual box with robotised clutch and gearchange mechanisms.

The reverse judder on the 2.3 engines was allegedly an overgeared reverse ratio which was too high to be useful at low revs so the box started 'bouncing'
Fiats initial response was to rev the engine higher before letting out the clutch.....difficult with a robotised clutch.

From memory it involved engine and g/box mount replacement and possibly a new set of lower ratio reverse gears

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine is a 2008 3 litre comfortmatic with 42k miles and never juddered

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just a thought but could the engine gearbox mountings be perished
IMHO that would be extremely unlikely given the age and such little mileage.

EDIT I see the OP does not say the mileage? only the mileage they have done

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you actually checked the production year of your Fiat base? It could be one from one of the years when there 'were' problems with 'juddergate' being a 'swear word' to Fiat! Our van is a June 2012 registered Fiat but was actually built in 2011, this is not unusual, so you may find your base is older too, it has been known for some to be anywhere up to 3 years older than the registration date!!!! If yours is one of the older ones there may be a 'fix' which has not been done so worth finding out if you can.

As for how to manage it, have you tried putting on more revs? Although we have a standard manual gearbox which shouldn't be afflicted by judder, if hubby is a bit toooooo slow in his reversing it doesn't like it, putting just a little bit more power through does make a difference and any 'judder' disappears.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
ours is the 3ltr Auto on 08 plate, up to now never had a problem it will reverse lovely almost just on tick over revs.....

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
ours is the 3ltr Auto on 08 plate, up to now never had a problem it will reverse lovely almost just on tick over revs.....
Same here 3lt model 08 plate no problems fantastic engine

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
2011 model, 3ltr with built in judder.
When I tried to get it sorted Fiats official answer was "more revs"
Funnily enough, I use tick over and clutch control and it only judders if I reverse to quickly.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Ours 2007 Fiat 3 litre - never had a judder problem!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours is a 2006 , neither have we.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back