Emission Control System warning Light (1 Viewer)

shezza

Free Member
Jun 4, 2009
Funster No
Hi All, today I decided to take my Peugeot Boxer motor home 2009 out for an outing (last time was about three weeks ago) and it took ages for it to start up. After travelling a few miles I noticed that the Emission Control System light was on (if it was on from the start up I dont know) Anyway I decided to take it to a main dealers not far away to get some idea of the problem, They wouldnt even send anyone outside to have a look!
So reluctently I booked it in for this coming tuesday.So as the guy at the desk said it would be ok to drive we had a run out up into derbyshire.
Sometime during the trip the light decided to go off,and has been ok since.
Even when it stayed on the engine ran ok, Any ideas????

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had exactly the same problem with the car the other day. SWMBO came home saying there was a strange light showing in the dashboard, it was the ecu warning light. Oh b****r I thought a costly visit to the garage looming.

Whilst interrogating her she said that it came on when she drove over a speed hump. So it was up with the bonnet and sure enough one of the connectors on the ecu had come off reconnected it and the light went off.

Could be that you have a similar problem

I have also advised SWMBO that she might consider slowing down for Speed Humps in future.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
More than likely as it was a job to start, the sensors in the cat were 'overwhelmed' with excess unburnt fuel.

As you drove it the excess was burnt off and back to normal, if the light stays off, dont bother to take it in.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes I know exactly what it could be :Doh: hundreds of things
when scanned it will/should or maybe not throw up a P code
See list Here
Find a local garage who can scan it and clear code if any present then see if same code returns, then get it sorted these little lights pop on as a hobby some times and more often than not it was a one off, dont waste money on main dealer first scans unless absolutely sure its a reoccurring fault
Even with the code its a very hit and miss science
Geo

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Always worth bearing in mind the colour coding for these lights similar to traffic lights

Green - advisory ( lights on indicators etc)

Amber - warning ( be aware - washer water low - coolant low etc ) drive but be aware until rectified

Red - serious problem needs immediate action ( PANIC - brake fluid / hand brake on / engne over heat / oil pressure low etc) Stop until sorted

Last edited:

alanvm64

Free Member
May 5, 2013
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 130
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
I am in the South Costa Blanca Spain, I have an Elddis Sunseeker 130 2008 done 26000 miles with 2.2 Boxer Engine, drove down with no problem 2000k, been stationary for 3 weeks went for a run to charge the battery when the orange emission light came on, and did not go out even after driving 30 mile.
I am with Saga Motor Home Insurance and I have their European Breakdown cover, spoke to their technical people for advice, they said do not worry about it it is quite safe to drive home as it only for the emissions from the engine and will probably go out after a while. For peace of mind I found a local Peugeot dealer and have asked them to run a diagnostic check on Monday, should I be duly concerned.

Alan

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi
I am in the South Costa Blanca Spain, I have an Elddis Sunseeker 130 2008 done 26000 miles with 2.2 Boxer Engine, drove down with no problem 2000k, been stationary for 3 weeks went for a run to charge the battery when the orange emission light came on, and did not go out even after driving 30 mile.
I am with Saga Motor Home Insurance and I have their European Breakdown cover, spoke to their technical people for advice, they said do not worry about it it is quite safe to drive home as it only for the emissions from the engine and will probably go out after a while. For peace of mind I found a local Peugeot dealer and have asked them to run a diagnostic check on Monday, should I be duly concerned.

Alan
No - just drive it home.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
just beware when taking it to a garage.
They may suggest that you need a new emission valve at a cost of many hundreds of pounds, when all it really needs is them plugging in their computer and taking out the code that has caused the light to come on.
Very often the valve gets stuck on due to carbon build up. Buy Forte decoke fluid and put in your next tank of diesel, also drive the van like you stole it for a few miles, i.e. drive hard ( but safe) revving the engine to over 3k revs to burn off the carbon.

This is what happened to us last year and we did as above and it worked.
I also bought a bit of kit of e-bay that will plug into the vans computer and will take out the codes for you

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Trouble is there are lots of things that can cause this light to come on.
If it has gone off and stays off then I wouldn't worry. If it stays on then I would get it checked by someone who has the kit to check the codes. I would say it is safe to drive in the meantime. There is a safe mode of operation which it will drop into if necessary.
I had exactly this a while ago and in my case it was a butterfly valve that had gone. We had to drive home right through france with almost no power. It took Peugeot a month to get a new part. I was not impressed but no long term harm was done.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Had this 3 times in the last few years, teice on a recent jaunt to france.
all 3 times happend shortley after a diesel fill up from having the fuel low warning light on,
And all 3 times it was cleared after putting in some diesel injector cleaner and having a good run..over 100 miles

Recently bought a obd2 plug in and linked it up with phone( see this thread from techno) and confirmed it was an emmisions related thing

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"More than likely as it was a job to start, the sensors in the cat were 'overwhelmed' with excess unburnt fuel."

Actually no Peter, there are no sensors in the CAT to be overwhelmed, there is an oxygen sensor before the CAT that might show an excessively high fuel/air mixture.

"Could well be a blocked diesel particulate filter. Apparently one needs to clear this filter regularly by driving at high revs - I do this when mine (Citroen Relay 2009) feels sluggish, drive in 4th gear between 2500 and 3000 revs for 15 minutes."

You surprise me, I was under the impression that DPFs are only fitted to Euro5 onwards and Euro5 didn't come out on Relay/Boxer/Ducato till 2010/2011.

D.

alanvm64

Free Member
May 5, 2013
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 130
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Update on my emission control alarm, took our motor home to the local" Peugeot Dealer" near where we are in Spain South Costa Blanca, they did not have a clue where the diagnostic plug was located after stripping half the dashboard apart, so I got them to put it all together and left.
Took it today to a garage run buy an English guy, he cleared the alarm, he thought the alarm came up after I had to jump start the engine as the battery had run down as I had the alarm on, also advised me to use premium diesel fuel as in Spain the normal fuel can and I quote be s***
Starting our drive back home on Saturday, fingers's crossed all will be well.

Alan

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've mentioned this before but it's probably worth repeating.
I had the orange warning light come on after a starting difficulty one morning (don't know why), which wouldn't go out although the van ran perfectly well. I had read somewhere that the fault could be cleared by switching off then restarting the engine five times so I gave it a go. Light went out and stayed out. I passed this tip on to someone I met on the road and worked for him too.
Just an idea before having expensive checks carried out by people of indeterminate experience!

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Just had this happen today after a few days out and 700 miles covered.
Ran beautifully, but had a very steady 170 mile run back home yesterday.
Tried the on / off 5 times and worked a treat đź‘Ť

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back