g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
just been confirmed my MasterCard has been used in various transaction,s including as far away as France,lux, been used to try and book a hotel in France [luckily it was refused] also Google, net flick, amazon plus loads more phoned bank and was put through to fraud squad who confirmed my fears also stated it was still trying to be used,the card apparently was stopped a while ago as i very rarely use it,i can recollect the last time i used it but who,s to say where and how they got my information

wheres the sunshine i want to get away ,

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
my MasterCard was also scammed .got a call from them to say some one was trying to use it ,I did use it to by tickets for Lincoln that's all ..the card is linked to ebay /paypal did change password when paypal was scammed
only used this card the once this year ,,,,

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Mmmm Luxembourg was the same destination that came up when Barclays contacted me a few weeks ago when my card was cloned. Luckily they had done a couple of 0.00 transactions which alerted the Fraud Dept as they said that was quite common. Barclays acted so quickly they had already posted me a new debit card before I even realised what had happened. Then they rang me to ask if I'd tried to buy an X-box that morning, I'd only just got up :cool: so they just stopped my old card immediately and I had a shiny new card ready to start using straightaway if I wanted to (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
g8ysn

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we used ours to pay for Lincoln as well,now i come to think of it before my last transaction,but who knows how they do it,

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
My Santander Debit Card was used just before our holiday this year, phone call from the bank to ask if I had used it to purchase a few said items, that card was cancelled and a new one was promised before we left for our trip. It arrived the morning we were leaving home Phew !!! When we got to Euro-tunnel I Put my new card in to validate the booking, it didn't work and I had cut my old one up Panic !!!! The queue behind us was growing rapidly, eventually after a lengthy conversation we were allowed through it didn't half put the old heart rate up just a tad. My Debit Card lives in Don's wallet and I only use it online with all the necessary security in place, it beats me how these people manage to get hold of this information so easily.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Reading this thread brought to mind a rip off Britain programme I watched this morning outlining a scam involving fraudsters posing as credit card fraud dept. phoning to notify some irregular purchases on a credit card. The victim was told to ring off and phone the telephone number on their credit card. What the victim did not know was the fraudsters had not rung off so when the victim dialed they went straight back to the fraudsters who then went through the method of transferring the victims fund into a new current account - THEIRS.
This might not be new scam to many of you but it was news to me and maybe to others. If you receive a phone call from the fraud dept and need to phone back, go on line and see if their are any outstanding debits waiting to be cleared and wait at least an hour before phoning the Fraud Dept number on your card; the fraudsters wont wait that long before they move on to another potential victim

Reactions: GJH

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
My card details had been stolen recently, and used for a lot of online poker sites and other gaming ones. Fortunately the bank were very quick to refund the money into my account, but it leaves a nasty taste. I still have no idea who did it and how they got my details :(

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Thank goodness I check my credit card a/c every morning, only had 1 problem so far , I noticed a payment for £249 which I knew wasn't mine and phoned straight away to capital one, who said that there were now 2 payments then another one while I was on the phone (done from abroad) . needless to say a/c closed , new cards and nothing to pay . Glad I check.

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
New MasterCard cloned today although the bank stopped two payments of £500 and £250 to online gambling sites just one month since the last time.it was cloned. How do they do it. Although I must say the banks Fraud dept are on the ball

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
My debit card has just been compromised again, 2nd time this year. Had a letter this morning. funnily enough, the last time I used it was Thursday at the dentist - all ok. Then tried to top up mobile phone immediately after - refused. Never been out of my sight. Had used it to book Lincoln and used once at the show but obviously can't point any fingers. The bank said they had been informed by Visa but couldn't/wouldn't give me any details. Looks as though cash is King!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Me too, checked my Sainsbury's MC last Monday to make sure I had enough in the bank for the next DD and there was a MS Xbox purchase for £49 made on the Saturday. Now I have been known to forget things including a £495 wine purchase once and racked my brains knowing we'd been to Screwfix on both Friday and Sunday (I know how to treat a woman) and the Range and B&Q on Friday but certainly couldn't make this one out. As the details suggested it was a something purchased on the Xbox site but when I phoned them they had no record of my CC number so how the purchase was made who knows. In dispute with the Bank at the moment but I won't be paying it.

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
The first time mine was cloned was for £49 to Microsoft XBox for a years Subscription the bank refunded it but declined a further transaction for games.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Payments Council has now admitted to me that it only "encourages all retailers to use CVV when accepting payments, as well as other fraud prevention tools such as Verified by Visa, SecureCode by MasterCard and American Express Safekey. However, ultimately it is a decision for an individual retailer."

That means that they know that there is a security hole in their systems but they will not close it because it might upset some retailers. I've sent a complaint to them in response to their message. If I don't get a satisfactory answer in a few days I'll be contacting the FCA again with their admission (might do it anyway).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Every card fraud that ever happened anywhere in the world, happened before or after the Lincoln show :doh:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Every card fraud that ever happened anywhere in the world, happened before or after the Lincoln show :doh:

But not, of course, during the show.

Having read of some of the problems, I'm glad we don't even have the opportunity to get to the shows, perhaps. We prefer to get in to the UK for birthdays, anniversaries or w.h.y. and then get back across la Manche and then we can live life at a more leisurely pace again.

J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back