Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Heres a question for the "Techies"
My Santara has 50 amp electrics but it seems that on 16 amp hook up the charger won't charge the leisure batteries.:Sad:
It works fine on main engine and works fine on genny
I'm told it's something to do with Megahertz , has anybody experienced this problem

S

stagman

Deleted User
My Santara has 50 amp electrics but it seems that on 16 amp hook up the charger won't charge the leisure batteries.:Sad:
I'm told it's something to do with Megahertz , has anybody experienced this problem

Hi Tony,how long have you had the van.How old is the van .Is it manual changeover from mains charger to cab charger or is it automatic.Is there a blown fuse on the mains side or is there an MCB triped.Sorry Just a few questions to start:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Tony

the yank charger is 60hz, UK supply is 50hz, I suspect the charger isn't reaching it's full output, but you know that already..

I changed my charger, which was useless, for a Victron 70Amp charger / 1600 watt inverter. Not a cheap solution but I was lucky a got mine second hand.

Link Removed

Also look at Sterling
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

hi tony,

if its the original charger, that may be the problem.........uk leky is 50hz....us leky is 60hz. not sure if it would affect your charger though.
your usa built genny may be chucking out 60hz so it will run the charger ok.
engine alternator will bypass the charger anyway and feed the batteries direct.

have a look Link Removed

john.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My transformer hummed and finally stopped charging and had to upgrade to a UK spec one via Linda.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I had to change the charger on the winnie, just didn't work right, got a 50amp prodigital from sterling, not a cheap solution but its solved the problem.

Not sure the Hz is anything to do with it, as its the ratio between the primary and secondary windings which determine the voltage output of the charger transformer, and this is obviously set when its built. But maybe some of the associated electronics don't like it.

Modern ones like the sterling and I believe the Phoenix, work over a wide range of Hz.

Just a thought tony is anything else not working on EHU? aircons, heaters?

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi I had to change the charger on the winnie, just didn't work right, got a 50amp prodigital from sterling, not a cheap solution but its solved the problem.

Not sure the Hz is anything to do with it, as its the ratio between the primary and secondary windings which determine the voltage output of the charger transformer, and this is obviously set when its built. But maybe some of the associated electronics don't like it.

Modern ones like the sterling and I believe the Phoenix, work over a wide range of Hz.

Just a thought tony is anything else not working on EHU? aircons, heaters?

Olley

Hi Olley

everythings working ok on hookup , just not charging the house batteries

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
A silly question but have you got a 240 volt circuit breaker point hidden away (a house style one) this happened to me and just remembered it:RollEyes:

I know most 240 volt things are working.

Just a trip switch on off, would be worth a thorough search Tony, might well be nothing:winky:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your not running a huge telly by any chance Tony, probably nothing left for the batteries:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
you might as well just hand it over mate, you just know its going to be the cause of every fault you get:Doh:
Geo

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
A silly question but are you sure you are getting a 110/120 volt feed to the mains charger when on hookup?

I don't think that the Hz would be a problem just maybe cause a humming noise, as asked earlier how does the mains charger get it's feed is there an automatic change over trip from the generator or do you have to change a switch or plug manually?

Regards Pat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A silly question but are you sure you are getting a 110/120 volt feed to the mains charger when on hookup?

I don't think that the Hz would be a problem just maybe cause a humming noise, as asked earlier how does the mains charger get it's feed is there an automatic change over trip from the generator or do you have to change a switch or plug manually?

Regards Pat

hi pat,

an exert from my link........
Larger motors or transformers are only made for a specific amount of Hertz, so either 50 or 60Link Removed

What happens if you connect a 60 Hertz motor to a 50 Hertz mains:

The motor turns 17% slower
The internal current goes up by 17%
The power (watt) goes down with 17 %

Please note that the same problem also exist in transformers as I explained, they also burn out after a while, also a transformer is made for either 50 or 60 Hertz.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
A silly question but have you got a 240 volt circuit breaker point hidden away (a house style one) this happened to me and just remembered it:RollEyes:

I know most 240 volt things are working.

Just a trip switch on off, would be worth a thorough search Tony, might well be nothing:winky:

I'll have another look John :thumb:

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994

Regards Pat

Hi Pat
yep appears to be getting 240 feed i can hear it humming, and automatic changeover

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
That's 'cos I'm having it, ey? ey? That's right, innit Tony? :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries