Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
This is probably a very common problem, but yesterday we thought we would give our van a spin just for the day to the seaside at Heacham ( about 30 miles away) We knew there was a nice big car park there at North Beach, (suitable fro R/vs.) :Angry:You guessed it, when we got there we found that since our last visit they had erected a number of hieght barriers. So we were unable to park, have a picnic and take our dogs for a walk as planned. It seems that more and more Sea side towns are erecting these barriers, Cromer being another one. I understand that there may be trouble with people who may overstay their welcome. However it does'nt help people with large motor homes who are just there for a day trip from home or a trip out from a Caravan site. Any one else had this problem and is there anything we can do about it? Besides buying a motor bike.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi how about they are breaching your Human Rights and discriminating against you, a holiday visitor driving a leisure vehicle (private) plus many other MH owners who are disabled.

Might frighten them and give the jobsworth lot a taste of their own medicine.

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi how about they are breaching your Human Rights and discriminating against you, a holiday visitor driving a leisure vehicle (private) plus many other MH owners who are disabled.

Might frighten them and give the jobsworth lot a taste of their own medicine.

Peter

Quite frankly Peter, insulting people isn't going to do anything to persuade them that they should change their policies. There are several reasons why height barriers are erected - some with more foundation in fact than others.

The way to convince councils to change is to approach them constructively, pointing out the advantages to be gained by their areas in making facilities available for large vehicles.

It's as a result of such approaches that, in the last few weeks, we have seen the start of the new overnight facility at Guisborough and the instigation of works to provide extra facilities in Bournemouth from next spring.

If anyone wants a start on approaching councils see the templates I have set up Here.

Graham

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Quite frankly Peter, insulting people isn't going to do anything to persuade them that they should change their policies. There are several reasons why height barriers are erected - some with more foundation in fact than others.

The way to convince councils to change is to approach them constructively, pointing out the advantages to be gained by their areas in making facilities available for large vehicles.

It's as a result of such approaches that, in the last few weeks, we have seen the start of the new overnight facility at Guisborough and the instigation of works to provide extra facilities in Bournemouth from next spring.

If anyone wants a start on approaching councils see the templates I have set up Here.

Graham

Hello Graham, whats the story on the overnight stop at Guisborough ?? was up that area a fortnight ago (on motorbike) passed through Guisborough twice did'nt see no signs, noted a few sites around Stokesley which may come in handy when we're up visiting the family in the new year'.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Link Removed is the thread which explains it Peter. We discussed signs with the council but there are strict laws as to what can be put on roadside signs (all to do with cluttering up the roads/pavements and causing distraction/confusion as much as anything) and MH parking isn't included.

David and I put threads on all the forums we use and there should be articles in the MH magazines shortly, all being well - so the facility should become better known as time goes by.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We went to Snettisham for the day, and you guessed it - there was a height barrier erected since our last visit. But there was a car park attendant taking monet sowe asked him to open the barrier. He said that he knocked off at 4pm (this was about 2pm) and if we werent out by then, we would be locked in for the night. (we were planning on going for a good walk along the seafront).
He explained that the barrier was erected to stop illegal raves and overnight camping. Anyway, Snettisham and Heacham are on our list of places not to go because of the height barriers:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We went to Snettisham for the day, and you guessed it - there was a height barrier erected since our last visit. But there was a car park attendant taking monet sowe asked him to open the barrier. He said that he knocked off at 4pm (this was about 2pm) and if we werent out by then, we would be locked in for the night. (we were planning on going for a good walk along the seafront).
He explained that the barrier was erected to stop illegal raves and overnight camping. Anyway, Snettisham and Heacham are on our list of places not to go because of the height barriers:Sad:

Once again a few selfish people, who think rules don't apply to them, spoil it for the rest of us.

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The way to convince councils to change is to approach them constructively.......
Do Councils really concern themselves with 'change'? Are they really that interested? I don't think so. As for 'constructive' suggestions, people may just as well be p***ing in the wind.

I gave up on my local town years ago when vehicle parking charges went stratospheric and the whole place got 'pedestrianised' with the Council spending vast sums of money on pretty paving stones, despite shops closing down on a weekly basis.

Councils are so stupid they cannot realise they have driven thousands of people away by making motorists unwelcome.

I used to visit my local town every week when central parking fees were 10p an hour. I'd walk around if i had an hour or so to spare, spend money on something i didn't need from a market trader or shop, or go to my Bank.

Now, i Bank online, shop online and only go to Morrisons because i can park there for free.

Town councils are still living in the stone age and haven't yet woken up to the age of the internet where people can fortunately access information about places long before they set off in their car or motorhome.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do Councils really concern themselves with 'change'? Are they really that interested? I don't think so. As for 'constructive' suggestions, people may just as well be p***ing in the wind.

(snip)
I did give two examples of councils changing their attitude in my previous post.

If you want some more, what about Canterbury, St Edmondsbury & Colchester as examples of authorities which have taken a positive approach in recent years?

Graham

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive just driven past a site that last week was just a dirty piece of waste ground next to a canal.
The council have been in there through the week, cleaned the whole area and installed chemical toilets and water stand pipes.
Today there are about fifteen caravans parked on there. All Gypsies.
I wonder what would happen if I tried to park my mh in there.

This is in Ellesmere Port.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Edit: This is not me having a pop at gypsy's. There has been a lot of social unrest in Ellesmere Port over the years between gypsy's and local people culminating in a young boy being murderd last year.

I imagine that this is the council making provision to stop this social unrest. What it does do is that it demonstrates what a council can do with very little effort to cater for rv's-mh's-caravans etc. Jim :Smile:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ive just driven past a site that last week was just a dirty piece of waste ground next to a canal.
The council have been in there through the week, cleaned the whole area and installed chemical toilets and water stand pipes.
Today there are about fifteen caravans parked on there. All Gypsies.
I wonder what would happen if I tried to park my mh in there.

This is in Ellesmere Port.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Edit: This is not me having a pop at gypsy's. There has been a lot of social unrest in Ellesmere Port over the years between gypsy's and local people culminating in a young boy being murderd last year.

I imagine that this is the council making provision to stop this social unrest. What it does do is that it demonstrates what a council can do with very little effort to cater for rv's-mh's-caravans etc. Jim :Smile:

The question of provision of authorised camp sites for gypsies and travellers is somewhat different from provision of spaces for motorhomes. It all gets a bit complex legally so I won't expand here - but if anyone is interested, try a search for "gypsies" on the Department of Communities & Local Government web site.

Provision of authorised camp sites for gypsies and travellers can be a positive step in getting rid of height barriers. For instance, North Norfolk Council erected the height barriers at Cromer (referred to in the initial post on this thread) to prevent unauthorised camp sites but has said that it intends to remove them when an authorised site is created.

Why not try writing to the council, pointing out the positive experiences which councils like Canterbury and St Edmondsbury have enjoyed and how similar facilities might benefit Ellesmere Port & Neston.

Graham

D

david1234

Deleted User
my advice dont bother with the uk if every caravan motorhome camper etc headed to france they would soon get the message.
rip of britan:Angry:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Height Barriers

I've never been able to understand why some large supermarkets put up height barriers. Don't they want our money?

Phil.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never been able to understand why some large supermarkets put up height barriers. Don't they want our money?

Phil.

Simple - to stop unauthorised camp sites by "travellers". Some also put lower, gate type, barriers across the entrances overnight to stop boy racers burning up their car parks.

In both cases, according to correspondence I've had with supermarkets, they are in a minority of branches and only where problems have been encountered or it is thought likely that they might happen.

I can't think of any height barriers in the Tees-side area and the only gate types I can recall is at Teesside Retail Park where there was a boy racer problem before they were installed.

Graham

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Yes, but they could lower the barriers or lock the gates during the hours they are closed. They could also clamp and have towed away the next day any that remain in the car park after closing time.

Phil.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wonder who the whipping boy would be if there were no travelers ?

No aires.. the travelers would use them

Height barriers .. ditto

No camping signs .. ditto

my advice dont bother with the uk if every caravan motorhome camper etc headed to france they would soon get the message.
rip of britan

I agree

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, but they could lower the barriers or lock the gates during the hours they are closed. They could also clamp and have towed away the next day any that remain in the car park after closing time.

Phil.

I wouldn't argue with that. What I would suggest is that when you come across a supermarket that has such a barrier you ask to speak to the manager and make that proposal to him. If he thinks he might be able to make some extra miney he may well listen.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wonder who the whipping boy would be if there were no travelers ?

No aires.. the travelers would use them

Height barriers .. ditto

No camping signs .. ditto
Probably RVs :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though Jim, we both know (don't we?) that the difference between this country and European countries is one of the legal position of gypsies and travellers under the Race Relations Acts and the Human Rights Act.

Given that we are highly unlikely to be able to change those pieces of legislation (if, indeed, change is appropriate) the approach to take is to demonstrate to councils and others the difference between travellers who might cause litter and other anti-social problems and people who simply wish to park up for the day (or the odd night) and treat the place with respect.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back