Post Quoting (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Of late I've noticed several quotes where the quote has been altered or replied to inside the quote box.. this makes it difficult to interpret who wrote what.. it is also wrong to deliberately change a quote to make it read differently.. even in fun..

I appreciate it can be accidental.. but if so please edit so that it is clear what is being quoted and what the reply is..

example.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...g-for-any-prospective-purchasers.91726/page-5

Jim:
I don't know if it is possible but it would be better if after selection, the 'quote' was 'locked' to prevent alteration or writing within the quoted text box.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can't see anything wrong with that item you pointed to, seems to have quoted you verbatim. Or am I missing your point?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's happened to me a couple of times when I've quoted a post but it doesn't seem let you change it - you can edit the post and move your comment outside the quote but when you click save it stays the same

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can't see anything wrong with that item you pointed to, seems to have quoted you verbatim. Or am I missing your point?

it has been copied twice with the second quote altered to read differently..

there are plenty of examples where replies are inside the quote ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When you quote, the quote is just text, impossible to lock it I'm afraid. and if people type within the open and closed quote codes then unfortunately its going to become part of the quote.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sometimes the reply box can already have text or quotes left in it from previous postings. Best to clear text box before any new quotes are added.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The reply box keeps a draft copy, its caught me out a few times :blush: But to all those who, when using the old forum software, frustratingly saw long posts just disappear after a screen refresh or similar, the draft copy we make here is a massive improvement. (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When you quote, the quote is just text, impossible to lock it I'm afraid. and if people type within the open and closed quote codes then unfortunately its going to become part of the quote.

No probs. Jim.. . thought that would be the case.

In which case I would politely ask that posters don't alter, add to, or selectively copy text so that it is out of context..

Accidentally posting inside quotes has also caught me out, but it can be edited.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
But to all those who, when using the old forum software, frustratingly saw long posts just disappear after a screen refresh or similar, the draft copy we make here is a massive improvement. (y)

An improvement but there's still a frustrating problem: I find that the autosave sometimes locks me out, such as when I delete a wrongly spelt word it will then not allow me to add a replacement word into the text. I am then left with the choice of posting a nonsense piece of text with a word missing or delete the content of the reply box and start again, grrr. Having had this happen on several occasions I have found it possible to cut the whole text, paste it in again and it allows me to do my corrections quickly before the autosave clicks in. It would be much easier if this problem was resolved at source, thank you.
ps. random media is very, very annoying and is doing my head in, an option to opt out please?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
An improvement but there's still a frustrating problem: I find that the autosave sometimes locks me out, such as when I delete a wrongly spelt word it will then not allow me to add a replacement word into the text. I am then left with the choice of posting a nonsense piece of text with a word missing or delete the content of the reply box and start again, grrr. Having had this happen on several occasions I have found it possible to cut the whole text, paste it in again and it allows me to do my corrections quickly before the autosave clicks in. It would be much easier if this problem was resolved at source, thank you.
ps. random media is very, very annoying and is doing my head in, an option to opt out please?

Never experienced that at all, sometimes my replies sit there for hours before I come back to them for a quick edit and post. Seems to work well for me, but then I am lucky Jim

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Of late I've noticed several quotes where the quote has been altered or replied to inside the quote box.. this makes it difficult to interpret who wrote what.. it is also wrong to deliberately change a quote to make it read differently.. even in fun..

I would strongly agree with your point that I've highlighted in red, but there have been some very funny examples of it being done in fun. So long as it's 'between consenting adults' I think it's fine, but I agree, it's out of order unless you are very sure it is going to be accepted in a fun spirit.

I appreciate it can be accidental.. but if so please edit so that it is clear what is being quoted and what the reply is..
I think it usually is accidental. I suspect a lot of it is down to posting from phones & small tablets using big fingers!
That one looks accidental. The result is indeed difficult to decipher.

Jim:
I don't know if it is possible but it would be better if after selection, the 'quote' was 'locked' to prevent alteration or writing within the quoted text box.
I know Jim has already said that it's not possible, but anyway, I think that would just bring in a different set of problems. This layout would be impossible for a start, but it would mean repeating the whole of a long post when you just needed to reply to a single paragraph.

I support the principle of what you are saying, but it's educaction rather than prescription that's needed.

EDIT: This post sounds terrible serious, which it wasn't meant to be. Have a smiley or two. :):)

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
This site is very slow for me today, took nearly 20 minutes to get my post put on. All other websites seem to be working as usual from my device. Could it be due to the bloomin' annoying random media?
Can "lucky Jim" kindly take note and respond about being rid of the unwelcome annoyance please? We are not all feeling lucky today and it doesn't feel good that this gripe is being ignored !

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Taking literally hours to open threads here on Motorhomenofun today ...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would like all perspective new members to now donate there cash directly in to HAGANAPS bank account as the poor soul needs to take early retirement, please pm me for his bank details.. if we don't do this, I think he will starve to death so come on give HAGANAP your money.

personally I can't see anything wrong with the current format myself. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back