Pistyll Rhaeadr, retreat campsite in Wales (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never been here but it looks like a great place to relax, just wondered if anyone had visited .. ?

Looks like a fabulous location , the campsite is basic and may not suit everyone.. but if you only want to visit the falls you can park overnight in the waterfalls car park..
nr Llanrhaeadr YM, Powys SY10 0BZ, Wales

Tel:01691 780392

Pistyll Rhaeadr is an enchanting waterfall in the Berwyn Mountains, just inside Wales, west of Oswestry and Shrewsbury.
At 240ft (80m) high it is the UK tallest single drop waterfall

The Retreat Campsite at Pistyll Rhaeadr is set amongst one of the most beautiful and scenic landscapes in Wales. It is situated a stone's throw away from the majestic Rhaeadr waterfall (one of the seven wonders of Wales).

camping-DSC00409-250.gif

It caters for both campers and caravanners through a private membership scheme which is also available to recognised groups.

The site is located at the end of a valley on mostly flat pastureland with the Rhaeadr River flowing through the centre.

Whether coming alone or with family, all users share one thing in common; they use Pistyll Rhaeadr as a retreat, to get away from the stresses of everyday life.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the campsite is basic and may not suit everyone.

Not very good reviews its just a field and everybody uses a council toilet for emptying etc
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2760

thanks for the link.. not great reviews .. and it's as I said.. basic facilities.. but I guess it is a case of location, location, location

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We've been there years ago, before it became a retreat or whatever they call it now, we used to pay about £2- £2.50 night. Stunningly beautiful place but V E R Y B A S I C with only the council bog available for toilet cassette emptying. Be warned the road to it is single track and runs along the side of the valley edge for a couple of miles and the turn onto it in the village is tight with buildings on both sides. Last I heard it had been made into a Buddhist retreat and alcohol is not allowed so possibly not for many funsters.

D.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
its only about 10mls from us in oswestry.and as Dave and Jim have both said it is a gorgeous place .but not for everyone.and it is very narrow on parts of the entry.i didn't know about the no alcohol rule.but I guess that rules out 99% of MHF members then:LOL::LOL:
brian and jo.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
We've been there years ago, before it became a retreat or whatever they call it now, we used to pay about £2- £2.50 night. Stunningly beautiful place but V E R Y B A S I C with only the council bog available for toilet cassette emptying. Be warned the road to it is single track and runs along the side of the valley edge for a couple of miles and the turn onto it in the village is tight with buildings on both sides. Last I heard it had been made into a Buddhist retreat and alcohol is not allowed so possibly not for many funsters.

D.
Not heard about the Buddhist retreat but agree about the road up there, been a couple of times on my motorbike which wasn't a problem.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last I heard it had been made into a Buddhist retreat and alcohol is not allowed so possibly not for many funsters.

Nothing on their web side about being a Buddhist retreat, but even if it were, would be of no consequence.. both of us a are teetotal, so 'alcohol not allowed' wouldn't affect us.. quite the opposite.

My only objection is the £25 annual member fee and the nightly charge of £16 for a family of three which I think is a bit steep. We would probably only stay a two or three nights which makes it rather expensive.

So to sum up.. it's a fabulous location, expensive , very basic facilities, no alcohol, no noise, no radios etc.
That is what you go for.. 'peace and quiet' .. the attraction for many.. and why I put it in the 'Chilling out ' forum.

It's now on my list of places to visit..

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I could well be mistaken about the buddhist retreat bit and the no alcohol rule, I thought I remembered someone telling me that about the place. Definitely worth a visit but I wouldn't pay £16 a night to stay there.

D.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Highlights the risks in recommending something you have no direct knowledge of perhaps?

I wonder if it is any better now?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back