The REAL price of wine in France - I paid it this morning at 5 AM (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
OK - I did pick Saint Palais as a nice rural ACSI site for a couple of days break from the Gironde but how was I to know that the local wine growers were also card carrying members of the National branch of Sadists'R'Us. Get up early by all means I say, to pick your grapes, but do it with a basket, felt slippers and a muffled pair of secateurs if it has to be at 5 AM and NOT a belching diesel behemoth (whatever that is) despite the fact that it does the job in a fraction of the time. It did end at 8 AM, which would have been great other than the Chasse arrived, probably to finish off any poor old deaf sangliers that were still wandering around up and down the lines of vines after the Sadists were finished with them. They spent another couple of hours blasting away. I even found some lead shot on the roof of the camper! But, c'mon, wine's been way to easy a commodity to get hold of these past years and far too cheap as well. I'm not looking for a peerage or anything but I am happy to have done my bit and gone to the Front Line to take some of the heat for the team.
Cheers from the trenches
Ponyboy

Link to current Ponyboy travel blog:
http://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/on-board-the-container-ship-mv-matisse/

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Curiously I'm reading a book at the moment which starts with the discovery of a body in a vineyard by some people picking grapes at night. Apparently the idea is they want cool grapes for the wine.

Which I suppose why the harvester was out in the early morning.

This article gives some hints on the reasons for harvesting at night.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...-night-grape-harvest/51067222/1?fullsite=true

Little consolation for being woken up!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I feel sure if you had drunk more of their product you would not have noticed the early morning disturbance
(y);)

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Curiously I'm reading a book at the moment which starts with the discovery of a body in a vineyard by some people picking grapes at night. Apparently the idea is they want cool grapes for the wine.

Which I suppose why the harvester was out in the early morning.

This article gives some hints on the reasons for harvesting at night.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...-night-grape-harvest/51067222/1?fullsite=true

Little consolation for being woken up!

Very informative article Devon Beekeeper. Never ceases to amaze me how much you can learn by getting on the road in the camper and just opening your eyes and ears.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Very informative article Devon Beekeeper. Never ceases to amaze me how much you can learn by getting on the road in the camper and just opening your eyes and ears.

Helps immensely with your driving and general road safety toooo...:wine:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back