DOVER PARKING AGAIN! (1 Viewer)

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
:france:Off to Bruges on Sat morning for a few days will then spend the next few days travelling on a whim but will probably head to the Somme area.

I know that there have been numerous threads regarding the 'ban' on the seafront for us 'lepers;!! Can anyone tell me if the ban has been imposed yet as I was hoping to stay there Friday night prior to an early morning ferry on Saturday.

if the ban is in place an alternative location would be appreciated.

Tim (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We saw some vans parked there a few days ago, but it was in the day and I haven't been there to see if there are any signs.
A couple of good places to park are the aire at Canterbury's New Dover Road park and ride site (£3) and free parking next to the Dover Patrol memorial, Granville Rd, St Margarets at Cliffe.
After 5pm, a few foreign vans trickle up there. The road is very potholed, but persevere, the view from the memorial is superb.
Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There were MHs parked on Marine Parade on Saturday morning as our ferry arrived from Calais.

However, we went to Canterbury P&R on the outward journey because they can be be arsed to provide overnight MH parking facilities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Agreed but Dover has always been part of our tradition, park up and visit the Great Western for a pint and bar meal normally after a hard days work and several hours travelling. Happy to support Canterbury for future trips but with a real early ferry the closer the better this time around.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We are using Dover Calais crossing next Thursday and intend using the BritStop No 135 in Dover as we have an early crossing.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Agreed but Dover has always been part of our tradition, park up and visit the Great Western for a pint and bar meal normally after a hard days work and several hours travelling. Happy to support Canterbury for future trips but with a real early ferry the closer the better this time around.
Theres a really good pub next to the Canterbury Aire. The Gate. The ferry is less than 1/2 hours drive away.
Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The landlord at The Gate let us overnight in his car park on a Sunday night when the aire used to shut on a Sunday and we didn't know. We had a meal in the pub to say thank you.

If all else fails there's a wide lay-by on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover, just past Kent Motorcycles - truckers use it, and we've used it too.

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Guys, many thanks for all your replies and advice but I am still waiting for a response to my original question ' can you still overnight in Dover or has the ban been implemented' greatful for an update.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I just contacted Dover council. The parking on the esplanade is " under review " at the moment it is still permitted.
In due course it will be a topic for discussion, at the same time alternative parking overnight for motorhomes will be on the agenda.
They are going to send me the minutes of the discussion about motorhome parking and when I get them I will write a blog on the website.
The lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful.
Phil

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Which Ferry? When we when to France a few weeks ago with Myferrylink I telephoned them to ask if I could stop in the terminal overnight. They said yes as long as I arrive after the last night ferry (which was not too late).

So we checked in and parked up in the queue for the 07:30 ferry. No worries in the morning, first on the ferry too(y)

Dunno if that helps?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking at this link it would seem that motorhome parking on the seafront is not mentioned, just cars and coaches.
http://www.dover.gov.uk/Transport,-Streets--Parking/Parking/Parking-in-Dover.aspx
Why not telephone Dover district council and ask!

Terry
Finding information on parking in Dover (and in many other places in the country) is complicated somewhat by the separation of responsibilities between county and district councils. Dover Council is solely responsible for off-street parking and on-street parking is the responsibility of Kent County Council. Just to complicate matters, Dover Council is responsible for enforcing Kent County Council orders within the Dover area. The Dover Joint Transportation Board includes representatives from both councils.

I've tried to pull together all relevant links in the Dover entry on the South East England page of the Motorhome Parking web site.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/comp...Word=Dover&Modid=150-search-gmapfp&Itemid=242

Marine Parade (outside the Gateway flats) or The Marine Court Premier Inn.
Motorhomes/caravans, trailers are not permitted to park on Marine Parade (outside the Gateway flats) or The Marine Court Premier Inn.

The Marina end of Marine Parade and the Esplanade.
Pictorial signage in this area indicates where caravan/motorhome parking is permitted and the nearby pay and display machines indicate the need to purchase two pay and display tickets

This is the current situation and will only change when the council has gone through the consultation stages to amend the Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO). TMCTO has requested to be included in such formal consultation.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I ha
Which Ferry? When we when to France a few weeks ago with Myferrylink I telephoned them to ask if I could stop in the terminal overnight. They said yes as long as I arrive after the last night ferry (which was not too late).

So we checked in and parked up in the queue for the 07:30 ferry. No worries in the morning, first on the ferry too(y)

Dunno if that helps?

I've just checked the website and there are MyFerryLink sailing at 21:10 oo:15 and 05:00 so it would not be possible to stay overnight for a 07:30 ferry.

We are sailing at 07:30 on 31st October and will be parking on the Esplanade.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I am very much an FLT i prefer value for money which is why I use Canterbury park and ride I think when a council pretty much does what we all keep asking for they should be supported, even if its not the easiest route to euro tunnel (y) Bruges will be the interesting one for me seems to be some debate as to whether the street parking opposite the Aire(25.00) no chance;) is in the blue zone or not i will report.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think Iv`e posted this before But:-

The Royal Oak @ Capel-le Ferne. USED to allow parking/Camping. Could be worth a phone Call?.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
We saw some vans parked there a few days ago, but it was in the day and I haven't been there to see if there are any signs.
A couple of good places to park are the aire at Canterbury's New Dover Road park and ride site (£3) and free parking next to the Dover Patrol memorial, Granville Rd, St Margarets at Cliffe.
After 5pm, a few foreign vans trickle up there. The road is very potholed, but persevere, the view from the memorial is superb.
Allan

Small difference - the Dover Patrol Memorial is in St Margaret's Bay, the locals get cross if you confuse the two!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
The official address is 40 Granville Rd, St Margarets Bay, St Margaret's at Cliffe, Dover, CT15 6DS

So, were both right!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I parked up overnight on Marin Parade about three weeks ago. No problems then.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There are a few pubs around that area.
View the map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=51.150042377716346,1.3166162759115423&z=11
1573467340597.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back