Recommendations for sites near Bakewell? (1 Viewer)

J

JohnP

Deleted User
Hi, about to take our motorhome on its first outing so want to go somewhere fairly close such as Derbyshire. We'd prefer something with full facilities whilst we get used to the MH and how it works. I've identified a few possible sites on 'tinternet and from the CCC guide but wondered if anyone had any recommendations??

We want an electrical hookup (but are petrified of fusing everyone so any idiot proof ideas would be welcome as well!) :Sad:

Oh - and we have a dog with us!

OP
OP
J

JohnP

Deleted User
When

Hi - we are going Sat 22nd November for two nights - probably not the best time of year to be trying out a new motorhome, but we can't wait until spring!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Got room for a big un, were close to derbyshire we may join you, and so might a few others:thumb: Cant beat having experiance to hand first time out
Geo

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi - we are going Sat 22nd November for two nights - probably not the best time of year to be trying out a new motorhome, but we can't wait until spring!

You Guys have a Great time.

You'll be snug in there and love every minute of it.:thumb:

I would advise investing in a couple of electric heaters though.Not the fan type as they keep you awake at night.Just watch the Wattage.

Enjoy Yourselves.::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi JohnP

Welcome and all the best with your new motorhome!!! The Buxton / Bakewell area has several CC / CCC sites, all of which are quite nice - use your CC site book for details and make sure the site has hardstanding available for you as this time of year is not great on grassy pitches!!! There is a CC site on the Leek side of Buxton, and a little way further is Blackshaw Moor, also CC with a nearby CCC site as well. Can't recall the name of the commercial site near Bakewell and not sure if its closed for the winter, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with more names for you. There is a commercial adults only site at Longnor which is really nice as well. Most sites are ok with dogs, obviously need to pick up after them!

Try and have a read through all your manuals and acquaint yourself with the essentials like where to fill water and drain waste water / where mains electric box is situated / how to access toilet cassette and how it operates and how the heater and water boiler system operate are the most important. Check you have a mains hook up cable, a water hose (food grade if possible) and your gas bottles are filled and connected. If you have a telly onboard its a good idea to carry a 10m aerial cable in a locker as well as some sites have TV hookups available with aerial boosters esp where satellite and tv signals are generally weak. You may want to purchase a pair of levelling chocks and a pair of fiamma anti-skid mats as early essential extras.

Don't drive over grass unnecessarily at this time of year as you run the risk of getting stuck - a van is quite a heavy vehicle and bogs down easily on squishy grassy areas!!!

Above all, have fun and enjoy your van - you can gradually acquire all the toys and get info from forum members and magazines.

:thumb: Laurie

Upvote 0

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Pete and ?

There are a few caravan club sites in the peak district including Buxton, Castleton, carssington waters and Blackshaw moor, these sites tend to be slightly better than CCC sites, there is also a CCC site at Blackshaw moor, That weekend there is a very good farmers market at leek and buxton is a lovley place to go, although living close i suspect you know this, Also that weekend Soundman is planning an unofficial meet at Southport although if you went there you would not have electric hook up, all suggestion are ok with the dog
Correction, the farmers market is at Leek this weekend, it is at Stone the 1st Saturday, Leek 3rd Saturday and bakewell on the last Saturday on the last month on any give month, November having a 5 saturdays means there is no local farmers market the weekend of the 22nd sorry

Graham n Kay
ps are you John

Last edited:
Upvote 0

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
There's Greenhills Caravan Park just outside Bakewell. Also a CC in Chatsworth Park.

There's a nice site at Waterfront Country Park near Gainsborough - not Derbyshire I know but not far away (takes us 50 mins from where we are in Derbyshire). We'll be there :thumb:

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Greenhills

We also recommend Link Removed We are newbies too and we had our first nights away there. The toilet/shower block is brand new and is like a 5* hotel, easy to find, hardstandings and 30 minute walk (or you can catch a bus) into Bakewell.

Really friendly ................... and open till the end of November.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it where ever you go.

Have fun

Upvote 0

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
We would also be interested in a meet around Bakewell but couldn't get there until about 9pm ish on the Friday 21st Nov :thumb: It needs to be hardstanding now though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JohnP

Deleted User
What a warm welcome!!

Thanks for such a warm welcome and the site suggestions. I think that was particulary good advice thanks Laurie to read the manuals first before we venture out! We don't even know what we need to put in the toilet (chemical wise I mean!). Greenhills does look promising, as does Rivendale.

We are anxiously waiting to hear if the MH will be ready to collect - we are having an awning fitted and an omni do dah aerial.

John

Upvote 0

davaud

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
cheshire
Funster No
MH
1992 coachbuilt
Exp
3 years motorhoming 18 years caraving
hi audrey here have been to greenhills a lot but i have a leaflet that tells me it shuts on the 31 oct there is the grouse and claret at rowsley this is just past bakewell on the a6 and at the back of the grouse and claret public house and resturant tel 0162973323 id ring to check there still open at this time of year im sure they are its got showers toilets and electric hook up ask about the shopping area just to the back of the site lovely shops and cafe great for christmas shopping if you want something diffrent good luck

Upvote 0

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Greenhills

hi audrey here have been to greenhills a lot but i have a leaflet that tells me it shuts on the 31 oct

On the website it says "The park is open from February to the end of November" I wonder which is more up to date the website or the leaflet??

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Who fancies Bakewell? if there are a few people interested I will make a few phone calls tomorrow.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Nr? bakewell

Hi

well not actually. further south where the A6 meets the 610 (Ambergate). we use the HURT ARMS. R/O pub (REAL Ale) 5 pitches HARD (Graveled) EHU . Might be worth a Punt?

pete

Upvote 0

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Yes, we would be interested in either Bakewell or Hurt Arms at Ambergate. Just as long as there is hardstanding :thumb:

Upvote 0

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
we would also be interested to just don't put us next to those mansfield nutters (mad as hatters)

Graham n Kay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JohnP

Deleted User
Looks like Greenhills

Looks like it will be Greenhills next weekend! Hoping to take delivery of the MH tomorrow so fingers crossed!! If all goes okay will book Greenhills.

Just compiling a shopping list for tomorrow..... thanks again for all the suggestions.

John & Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back