another question...dehumidifiers? (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Is it best to use one in the motorhome , especially during winter storage? If so , can anyone tell me what they use, or recommend the best way of minimising damp when stored outside. thanks again

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In a word.. ventilation.. unless your van has a leak.. not required.. leave the cupboard and overhead locker doors open and the roof light partially open.

A motorhome would need to be hermetically sealed to make any difference.. any moisture the dehumidifier removes is quickly replaced by moisture in the air from outside.. some people run them and swear they make a difference.. the science says otherwise.

In winter, generally the ambient moisture is low due to the low air temperature.. so take precautions against freezing by draining down all pipes and tanks and leaving taps open..

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
In a word.. ventilation.. unless your van has a leak.. not required.. leave the cupboard and overhead locker doors open and the roof light partially open.

A motorhome would need to be hermetically sealed to make any difference.. any moisture the dehumidifier removes is quickly replaced by moisture in the air from outside.. some people run them and swear they make a difference.. the science says otherwise.

In winter, generally the ambient moisture is low due to the low air temperature.. so take precautions against freezing by draining down all pipes and tanks and leaving taps open..
if the roof light is partially open cant pesky things like rodents get in? its stored on a farm, but my son stored his transit on a registered site and it provided a lovely cosy home for a family of mice over winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Oh dear,this can of worms again-I suppose it's seasonal.:) Jim is right-but many won't agree-and they never can quote humidity readings,they just say that the water container needs emptying regularly therefore it is doing good. You might as well just run the dehumidifier out in the open air.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
if the roof light is partially open cant pesky things like rodents get in? its stored on a farm, but my son stored his transit on a registered site and it provided a lovely cosy home for a family of mice over winter.

I guess so.. but never heard of mice coming in the roof light.. but doesn't your roof light have a mesh cover ? If not perhaps you could make something...
In any case, most roof lights have some ventilation even when closed..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This has been argued over before so you will have to make up your own mind! Most open vents in mhs are in the roof and as dry air is denser than moist air a dehumidifier will reduce the moisture content inside the vehicle. Also, the sheer volume of dry air a typical compressor dehumidifier will push out will overwhelm any which might diffuse in through the vents.

If you have had a flood in the vehicle I can see the benefit of a dehumidifier but beware the damage they can do to any wood if left too long. If the wood is dried too much it can shrink and warp.

As suggested, normal ventilation should be fine, don't run a heater and if you can go out an use the MH in the winter!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
This has been argued over before so you will have to make up your own mind! Most open vents in mhs are in the roof and as dry air is denser than moist air a dehumidifier will reduce the moisture content inside the vehicle. Also, the sheer volume of dry air a typical compressor dehumidifier will push out will overwhelm any which might diffuse in through the vents.

If you have had a flood in the vehicle I can see the benefit of a dehumidifier but beware the damage they can do to any wood if left too long. If the wood is dried too much it can shrink and warp.

As suggested, normal ventilation should be fine, don't run a heater and if you can go out an use the MH in the winter!
That is the best bit of advice:)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We give the van a session on a dehumidifier from time to time over the winter months.
Its a good way of keeping the fabrics fresh as well as identifying if there is any buildup of moisture.
Water in the container on the dehumidifier indicates water is coming in somewhere! In the last case, it was a separated bonded joint between panel and frame on a garage door. The damp tester missed this because it was well concealed behind some trim.
A bit of humidity control in the van also stops our bedroom door getting tight in the frame over the winter months!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
When I'm not intending to use the old girl for a bit I chuck some covers over her to keep the elements off, and normally jack up her rear end to ease the weight as she is a bit loaded; Anyway that's enough about the Missis.(y)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If you do decide to use a dehumidifier remeber to put plugs in the sinks and make sure the toilet seal is closed tight.
Many years ago a friend of mine left an industrial one on in his kitchen when he was away for a few days, when he got back the place stunk, he reckons it was because the machine had taken the water out of the sink bottle trap allowing fumes to come up from the drains

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Hi just wondering why you suggest not to run a heater, I currently have mine on the drive on EHU and leave my heater on
Any info on this would be helpful, thanks mark

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The vans on the drive and we also leave the heater on low over winter and dont drain down. Luckily we have a manual dump valve.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
come on then, why no heater on in the van. I have been doing this for quite a few years, after some advise from a motorhome fitter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
come on then, why no heater on in the van. I have been doing this for quite a few years, after some advise from a motorhome fitter.

lots of people keep their vans heated.. I don't know why .. what is the benefit if drained down and no water to freeze.. ?

the cost of running the heater.

if free standing, in the event of a fire your insurance won't pay out

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
lots of people keep their vans heated.. I don't know why .. what is the benefit if drained down and no water to freeze.. ?

the cost of running the heater.

if free standing, in the event of a fire your insurance won't pay out
Does it not help keep the moisture levels down in which case long term could be beneficial
Regarding insurance that's is a concern, however we do have a smoke alarm that is wireless and connected to the house system but you could say you were preparing to go away and was getting the van ready and warmed up

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim, that's not fair............. I was just about to say what stops dealers lying all year:D and you edited your post as I was typing up ....

You know what I mean ;)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
ask Peter what he does at JohnsCross motorhomes

in winter, dealers don't heat or dehumidify vans on the forecourt..
maybe to do with the cost involved with keeping 20/30 heated me thinks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
maybe to do with the cost involved with keeping 20/30 heated me thinks

yes, very true , also the fire risk.. but the point is that the vans don't suffer or get damp by not heating or dehumidifying.. no one has yet produced data that suggests it's beneficially.. another gassing story ?

anyway.. like I said.. some people will always do it .. others like me don't, in 40 odd years of owning vans I've never had a need to heat or dehumidify ..

yes, it's a good plan to pre heat the van before a winter trip .. I've done that.. fan heater or convector on for 8 hours or so before leaving.. or just run the vans heater..

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I think I will keep my heater on. just in case the wife throws me out. it also comes in handy when we have friends staying over.

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
I run a dehumidifier thru the winter months.
Its on a timer for four hours a night powered off the inverter which gives the battery a work out and is topped up in the day by the solar panel so costs nowt to do.
The inverter also then generates a little heat to keep the chill off.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Van is always on EHU on the drive. Our heater is on... low so that the van isn't icy cold... We do use it for visitors sometimes.... We use it in cold weather... We don't drain it down and it is ventilated which we believe is important.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry about the heater, a low wattage one say up to one kw would be fine but I would be very wary of putting in something larger just to try and dry the van out, which was what the OP was about the way I read it. Warm air can hold more moisture which will condense out on cold nights, also too much heat will encourage bugs, wood rot and molds I think. Now that is mostly speculation on my part but cold and dry is good, warm and wet isn't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back