gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Hi I have a M/H on a 2009 Transit and the electrics seem to be playing up.

The van starts first time every time , even after a couple of months stood so the battery is good. It is kept topped up with a 100w solar panel looking after the leisure and engine battery.

The problem is that when I turn off the engine I lose the radio code (need to re-enter code every time), also lose all the driving history on the travel computer, e.g. m.p.g. , travel millage, av. m.p.h., etc.
Also when the engine is turned off the speedo and rev needles flic from zero to below rapidly with a electrical flic noise for a couple of seconds and then repeats every couple of minutes then after half a dozen times stops.

It feels like a relay is energising on and off !!!

It does not effect the driving of the M/H but I'm worried there is a underlying issue which may raise it's head and cause a beak down.

Anyone seen this before

Thanks Paul

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
My transit had 2 engine batteries under drivers seat separated by a relay, think one starts engine and other runs radio etc. so you can always start the motor. The second bat is not charged on hook up, only off alternator. If this is your lay out it would seem that either the bat is duff or you are leaving it a long time without the engine running. I overcame it by having a small solar panel wired direct to this battery, never a problem since.
Hope this helps,
Richard

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I too would look at the Ford fitted "Auxilliary" battery located with the engine battery under the drivers seat. Our radio recently has been loosing the date & time on occasions and I was thinking maybe it was time the Aux battery needed attention as it will be 7 in March. Our solar panel will keep all 3 (1 hab & 2 Ford) batteries topped up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On our Transit/ Chausson setup, the Ford aux battery is connected to the leisure batteries by a relay when the main habitation electrical panel is switched on.
In order to ensure the Ford battery aux is kept topped up on EHU, all we do is leave the habitation electrical system switched on whilst in storage.
The CBE charger charges the leisure batteries and starter batteries, but would miss the Ford aux battery of we did not do this.
This might be your setup too, but I have also come across motorhomes where the extra Ford battery is not wired this way and is just dead weight as far as us motorhomes are concerned.
Having the Ford aux battery in your leisure system gives you a little extra leisure battery capacity. In fact, I could remove the leisure batteries completely and the habitation electrics run quite happily from the Ford aux battery!
This was Fords original intention, it is supposed to power cherry pickers and tipper bodies, etc.
Of course, this setup also works the other way round. Our road lighting, radio and dash sockets all work from the combination of the Ford aux battery and leisure batteries when parked up. We have all chassis electrical systems functional courtesy of our habitation electrical system. This means we can park all night with sidelights on and the radio going without running down the starter battery at all.

Its very handy for lay by stopovers! Any potential thief will think you are awake and ready to drive because your lights are on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Thanks for the reply's ,,,, I didn't even know there was 2 battery's under the drivers seat.
Just been to the van removed the drivers seat and the battery in front was only showing 4 volts so obviously dead (2nd battery showing 13.5volts).

I've removed this and ordered a replacement.

Reading the thread above has got me thinking. I have a solar panel looking after the leisure and engine battery but not the aux. battery, and when I put the van away in storage I've been turning off all the electrics to the van part by removing the large RED isolator key on the side of the passenger seat. I've been doing this thinking it would prevent any drainage from the battery through fridge, lights , etc.

Has this been my problem in that I'm also isolating the aux. battery from the leisure system and so preventing it from being topped up with the solar panel

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It would depend on your wiring. Placing a permanent fused link between the Ford aux battery and leisure battery would not do any harm.
This would allow the solar to keep everything topped up.

BTW, the three electical posts in the plastic housing on the back left corner of the drivers seat box are connected directly to the Ford aux battery via 60 amp midi fuses. These are as good a place as any to connect any supplimentary charging system.

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
It would depend on your wiring. Placing a permanent fused link between the Ford aux battery and leisure battery would not do any harm.
This would allow the solar to keep everything topped up.

BTW, the three electical posts in the plastic housing on the back left corner of the drivers seat box are connected directly to the Ford aux battery via 60 amp midi fuses. These are as good a place as any to connect any supplimentary charging system.

That sounds a good idea of wiring from leisure battery through to the aux battery and if I do it in heavy cable (fused) then it would not only charge the battery in storage but also give more battery power off grid.

Thanks again to all for your help and knowledge

Paul

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
That sounds a good idea of wiring from leisure battery through to the aux battery and if I do it in heavy cable (fused) then it would not only charge the battery in storage but also give more battery power off grid.

Thanks again to all for your help and knowledge

Paul

In addition, you might find your leisure battery receives a better charge whilst driving due to lower voltage drop through the heavier cables.
Most convertors standard split charge looms leave mich to be desired in the wiring gauge department.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I just noticed you have a Roller Team.
These are part of Trigano, just like Chausson.
Your aux battery might be connected already if you leave those habitation electrics switched on. You will know if that is the case if there are already connections to those Ford connections on the seat box.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I just noticed you have a Roller Team.
These are part of Trigano, just like Chausson.
Your aux battery might be connected already if you leave those habitation electrics switched on. You will know if that is the case if there are already connections to those Ford connections on the seat box.

Just a thought.
So it does like I've destroyed the battery by removing the RED isolator key from the leisure battery.
I'll have a look at the wiring set up tomorrow when the new battery arrives and I nip down to the storage yard to fit it , I may just to be sure wire up the aux battery with either the cab or leisure battery

Thanks again

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Just fitted new battery & wired to the solar panel and everything working perfect again

Thanks for all your help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back