LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Can't believe that funsters don't seem to put their favorite sites into this resource, there's 45 entries! Come on matey peeps, share your secrets!! Go to Forums, scroll down to Best Campsites, and post so I know where to go next week to see a good band, have a nice pint (or 4) and maybe a ringstinger too!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Ringstinger?????????:eek:

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Funsters .. using sites..:whistle2:

that would mean paying.. :Eeek:
Wild camped all over the place myself and don't knock it, but sometimes a place such as Dulverton, lovely little CC site virtually in the village with Good pubs, restaurants cafes and shops if you want them, no effort roll up go to pub, eat and drink, go home, Simples.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Reviews can be handy but also very misleading.Its about what you want or expect from a site. We stayed at Carlyon Bay near St Austell the week before last. Absolutely glorious but then we had good weather and peace and quiet. Just what we wanted. Had we stayed in July, I'm guessing it would have been a different place. Not worse, just different. Great for the family but not for peace and quiet. So you could end up writing a completly different review every time you stayed.
The one that gets me is " short walk to beach/pub/shops " for the person that wrote it maybe but I dont deem a 5 mile camel hike a "short walk" The best review is your own.

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Reviews can be handy but also very misleading.Its about what you want or expect from a site. We stayed at Carlyon Bay near St Austell the week before last. Absolutely glorious but then we had good weather and peace and quiet. Just what we wanted. Had we stayed in July, I'm guessing it would have been a different place. Not worse, just different. Great for the family but not for peace and quiet. So you could end up writing a completly different review every time you stayed.
The one that gets me is " short walk to beach/pub/shops " for the person that wrote it maybe but I dont deem a 5 mile camel hike a "short walk" The best review is your own.
That's why we should be putting proper reviews in the Best Campsites Forum

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm with cranky.. a review is just an opinion.. and we know what they are like..

As an example, read the reviews about Honfleur Aire.. one mans paradise, another's idea of hell. We all have different criteria.. likes and dislikes.

There are plenty of forums doing reviews.. UK Campsites is pretty good.. but I have also heard that bad reviews are removed. no idea if it's true or not.

I like to do my own research.. most camp sites have a web page so the information can be found by simple Googling, and if you use Google maps street view you can 'see' what it's like.. how far it is to the beach, shops etc.. as said.. some say it's a 5 min walk to the shops when it's more like a D of E hike.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I don't see the harm in giving a recommendation or review. I wouldn't come across half of the sites if people hadn't mentioned them first.
If I like the look of those recommended, I then do my own homework and see what other reviews there are.

Dulverton does look nice and other reviews say so too.....it's now on our list for next year, so thanks :)

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I'm with cranky.. a review is just an opinion.. and we know what they are like..

As an example, read the reviews about Honfleur Aire.. one mans paradise, another's idea of hell. We all have different criteria.. likes and dislikes.

There are plenty of forums doing reviews.. UK Campsites is pretty good.. but I have also heard that bad reviews are removed. no idea if it's true or not.

I like to do my own research.. most camp sites have a web page so the information can be found by simple Googling, and if you use Google maps street view you can 'see' what it's like.. how far it is to the beach, shops etc.. as said.. some say it's a 5 min walk to the shops when it's more like a D of E hike.
But that's my point really, we probably all do our own research and yes UK campsites is pretty good, but the forum here lets you put the site in for eg. good for eating, or drinking or chilling etc, speaking as someone who never really knows where he's going from one minute to the next I think that would be a good resource, I for one would love the resource to contain sites near to good live music pubs with good beer, I often take off on a Friday just to catch a band and a few beers. I used to keep a log of such and which one of these days will dig out and post. For instance, I seem to remember a site by a reservoir in Rochdale a short walk to a pub that had really good bands on every week, went there several times (not for ages though). Sometimes I just can't be bothered trawling through all the info in several books. Hence "Dulverton, good for a beer and a meal, nice little village and shops, right by the campsite" People can then go further and see what the facilities are like if they so wish.... just saying like!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Can't believe that funsters don't seem to put their favorite sites into this resource, there's 45 entries! Come on matey peeps, share your secrets!! Go to Forums, scroll down to Best Campsites, and post so I know where to go next week to see a good band, have a nice pint (or 4) and maybe a ringstinger too!

Dabhand, you say there are only 45 entries....how many have YOU written??????

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
That would be nice hot curry:)
Thank god for that. I thought we were going to have to merge threads with the heat beads one:D

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Dabhand, you say there are only 45 entries....how many have YOU written??????
Only found it at 4.30 this morning, slowly working my way through the whole site, rest assured you WILL have my ramblings (when I get round to it that is!)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
looking again at the site review page, the titles may put people off as the site they have stayed at may not fall into one of the categories. Perhaps have areas/counties like ukcampsite does. After all if you are doing a review you are obviously going to mention its good/bad points so easy to see if it is what you are looking for or not.
In fact I will start one for cornwall.

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Only found it at 4.30 this morning, slowly working my way through the whole site, rest assured you WILL have my ramblings (when I get round to it that is!)
And the other thing is that there are lots of references on the forum to great sites, aires, britstops etc etc but they are not necessarily pulled into a "resource" and are in the various different threads that abound on the forum, now I don't know what is and what is not possible on the tech side, but I would think an "enter into resource" button would be a great idea, it would then be up to the mods to decide if it was worthy!

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
looking again at the site review page, the titles may put people off as the site they have stayed at may not fall into one of the categories. Perhaps have areas/counties like ukcampsite does. After all if you are doing a review you are obviously going to mention its good/bad points so easy to see if it is what you are looking for or not.
In fact I will start one for cornwall.
Fantastic, don't forget to include sites near pubs with live music ta:)

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The trouble is put up a great review, and then you can't get on as it is full! But, in the spirit of Fun, I'll start

I recommend www.redkitecamping.com

The owners are great, the site is quiet, inexpensive and frankly a hidden gem. Red Kite camping is nestled in the folds of the Welsh countryside, on the slopes of the magnificence of the mountain ranges, that leads ultimately, to the Teifi valley and it thunderous watercourses tributaries.

The proximity to the mountains and the Teifi valley make Red Kite camping a "Must" for photographers, anglers and of course White water rafting enthusiasts, who can get their fix by day, coursing down the myriad of white water ways, yet still sit and relax by night watching the sun go down on the mountains, sat beside bird watchers and photographers, who are their to watch the plethora of birds in the area.

Of course, all the birds are dominated by that master of the skies, and the campsites name sake: the majestic Red Kite, which can nearly always be seen soaring, wheeling and floating above the site.

You could be forgiven for thinking that a site such as this is expensive, and you would be totally wrong, in fact it is an example of just what great value a site like this can be! For just a few pounds a night, you too can be the Kings and Queens of Wales, ruling over all you see.

And I do know what I am talking about, I own a campsite, albeit in another Country (England)

Eddie
Now if I new how I would bump this in to Camp sites resource, @Jim RESOURCE BUTTON PLEASE!!:)

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Yes, yes, yes, but where do I now put this, if there was a resource button or a copy to button or even somewhere like your own notes section where you could paste the type of information we each are interested in that would be great or is there such a thing already? site looks right up my street by the way, now does the Swan do live music?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Swann in looks great but quite a walk from Red Kite camping though ;)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
I believe so, although not when we were there.check their website. The food is fantastic as is the ale.You can sit outside in the decking watching the boats go by (and the swans) or inside by the fire if its cold.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years

Yes it is true. One of the most unfriendly campsites we've ever visited, (in 30 yrs !! ) was Redlands nr Marloes in Pembrokeshire. He actually shouted at us for not parking the right way around in the lines. I had mentioned there was no difference to him which way we pitched the tent as it was almost circular, but for us it meant getting out onto mud-caked floor instead of grass. He raged, if it hadn't been so late we'd have told him where to stuff it. Female in shop at time was also rude and indifferent. I rated it on UK campsite and they never ever used it.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
In response to the OP,The Old Oaks Touring Park at Glastonbury is a great site good dog run,excellent shower blocks,plenty of room between pitches and friendly staff.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
In response to the OP,The Old Oaks Touring Park at Glastonbury is a great site good dog run,excellent shower blocks,plenty of room between pitches and friendly staff.
£46 per night for this weekend :lipssealed:

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Fairfields a working farm campsite in Pevensey near Eastbourne, Thoroughly enjoy it there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back