Proposed changes for the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park (1 Viewer)

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Full article in todays Scotsman - Broken Link Removed

One interesting proposal ?
“Our proposals include significant investment in camping facilities and new byelaws to support more sustainable amounts of camping and to tackle the damage caused by antisocial camping.”

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Yes, liked the reference to "motorhome bays" .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Some of the laybys are used by caravanners who take them and leave them parked up throughout the summer. Hopefully this will be stopped.

OP
OP
A

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have to say it is a beautiful area that really does need some policing and I don't often say that.
We used to sail a lot on the loch and the scum we used to come across on some of the islands was beyond belief.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Loch Lomond want visitors.......but there are very very few facilities around the loch unless you want to pay hyped up commercial fees.
I have visited some wonderful places in Australia where the local authority lay on wonderful facilities for visitors and locals. Communual electric barbecues (cleaned and looked after) picnic tables, shetlers and outdoor swimming pools.
These facilities are well used and cared for by civilised people. In Brisbane, by the river, they have a swimming/paddling pool with big screens that show kids cartoons all for free.
Here in Scotland if its not making someone a massive profit it is not thought of.
Yes they will make more of the NP available for camping but at a massive premium. Loch Lomond would be a great place for an Aire type of site, but will the NPA provide it at French aire costs?
When our kids were young (before it became a NP) we would take our boat our van and a barbecue and have great fun over a weekend. We stayed on a CL not rip off ccc or cc prices.
They then intoduced registration for boats...all friendly and helpful....now they want to charge a fee if you get into difficulties.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The original bill was aimed at tent campers who had no facilities and left all of their sh1t behind, not motorhomers who are self contained, nothing outside the van and you are just parked. Same distinction as made in Spain and a lot of Europe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The original bill was aimed at tent campers who had no facilities and left all of their sh1t behind, not motorhomers who are self contained, nothing outside the van and you are just parked. Same distinction as made in Spain and a lot of Europe.

mostly true.. but a lot of these 'campers' also come in vans, albeit not proper camper vans.. maybe just an old tranny with a mattress thrown in the back.. but to the causal on looker .. they are camper vans..

so once again, the few will have the majority banned.. but when you see these pictures you can understand why there will be a clamp down.. it's a disgrace.. just surprised it has taken so long for the park authorities to act ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-29507432

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The biggest problem with LL is that it is within easy reach on the Glasgow Neds, and that Tesco (other supermarkets are available:rolleyes:) sell really really cheap camping kit............. the Neds buy it, go camping, get smashed on cheap booze then set fire to the tent stuff the next day to save the bother of packing it all away!

Seen it many times (unfortunately)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The biggest problem with LL is that it is within easy reach on the Glasgow Neds, and that Tesco (other supermarkets are available:rolleyes:) sell really really cheap camping kit............. the Neds buy it, go camping, get smashed on cheap booze then set fire to the tent stuff the next day to save the bother of packing it all away!

Seen it many times (unfortunately)

indeed.. it's on Glasgow's doorstep .. the Big Yin sang about his experiences camping at Loch Lomond in the 60s .. a bottle of cheap red wine that made you're teeth go red, a wooly hat with a bobble on , cheap tent.. and catch the train to Balloch.

things have moved on.. they use cars, vans and motorbikes now.. but not much else changed ..just more of them now..

coming home..

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Last year I received this reply from Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park

"Where we can assist is providing information on our current plan to deliver better quality visitor facilities where we either own or manage a site. As you have read the 5 Lochs Visitor Management plan, you will be aware that we are in the process of improving the infrastructure of existing car parks and developing new facilities where possible in this area. One of the elements that we are looking to incorporate, when planning for a redevelopment of a site, is provision for motorhomes. The location and services available at any proposed location will be the dictating factor as to whether this provision is feasible or not.

The first of these sites is nearing completion and is due to be open towards the end of August 2013. This site at Loch Lubnaig on the A84 just north of Callander will offer day parking for cars, toilets (no showers), a small kiosk selling soft drinks and food, a semi formal camping area and two dedicated overnight parking areas for motorhomes.

The motorhome sites will be available to pre-book, or if passing, subject to availability. There will be a charge of £15 per night per unit with a maximum stay of 2 nights. This charge in addition to the other facilities will also allow access to the onsite chemical toilet disposal point. We are still discussing if we will make this chemical disposal point available to passing motorhome users as this is an enclosed system and will require emptying. If we do decide to offer this provision to day visitors we would need to make a charge to cover the cost of servicing."

The last report I had was that Loch Lubnaig was operational.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If we do decide to offer this provision to day visitors we would need to make a charge to cover the cost of servicing."
Why can't they absorb the charge and encourage visitors to the area thereby benefitting local businesses

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why can't they absorb the charge and encourage visitors to the area thereby benefitting local businesses
I don't know how much benefit would accrue to local businesses from day visitors of motorhomes but if day visitors were to be able to use the emptying facilities for free wouldn't it be the case that the overnight charge would have to be reduced? Would the general taxpayers of Scotland be happy to make up the shortfall?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I don't know how much benefit would accrue to local businesses from day visitors of motorhomes but if day visitors were to be able to use the emptying facilities for free wouldn't it be the case that the overnight charge would have to be reduced? Would the general taxpayers of Scotland be happy to make up the shortfall?
If you are ever in or around the area in question you will see that businesses are boarded up and shutting down.
The main businesses that attract visitors are the big bus/hotels groups that have a monopoly on the tourist. Most trips on the loch are through this type of thing.
Restaurants and small shops can't be sustained with this type of tourist.
If more independant visitors were welcomed then the small businesses could flourish and pay rates that could absorb the charges.

I was recently in Skegness.....no boarded up shops with plenty of thriving businesses.
Blackpool on the otherhand???????

Before the place became a NP all carparks in the area were free, why the need to charge visitors now?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Before the place became a NP all carparks in the area were free, why the need to charge visitors now?
If we do decide to offer this provision to day visitors we would need to make a charge to cover the cost of servicing."
The potential charge isn't for parking but for use of the CDP.
Restaurants and small shops can't be sustained with this type of tourist.
I don't dispute that but would they be sustained by extra day visitors in motorhomes who were there mainly to use the CDP? Would those visitors spend more than day visitors in cars who have no need of the CDP?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Before the
I don't dispute that but would they be sustained by extra day visitors in motorhomes who were there mainly to use the CDP? Would those visitors spend more than day visitors in cars who have no need of the CDP?
You could be right but i know that if we go visit places and stay overnight we would more than likely spend locally.
As i've said not every day visitor would use the CDP...only a %age. It may even attract visitors that need to empty.

I know of a roadside coffee (trailer) stall that pays for a mobile chemical toilet beside their van.......it does attract custom.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You could be right but i know that if we go visit places and stay overnight we would more than likely spend locally.
Same here. For our last few trips I've been monitoring our spending and it is definitely a higher daily average the longer we are away (to an extent explained by needing more food than we can carry from home on longer trips). On a weekend trip in August we spent a lot less per day.
When we stop off just for a short break in a journey though (as I suspect many "CDP" day visitors would) we tend to just have something to eat/drink in the van - and if it's a MSA, use their toilets :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back