Generators!!! Good or waste of space/weight (1 Viewer)

tim22es

Free Member
Aug 15, 2013
torquay
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
I have a Mosa gi200sx generator. It produces 1.5kva and weighs less than 4kilos. I was thinking of putting it in the van, when off grid. We mainly stay on sites, and only when travelling down through France in August did we find that it would of been handy, (hairdryer & straightners !!). I have 100watt solar panel and 2 x 110amp leisure batteries and we had no issues with power other than 12volt stuff tends to be crap!! Was just wondering if other funster's carry and use a generator and whether its worth the loss in space and weight, as well as carrying fuel for it as well.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
don't really understand the kva bit, bit if it is 1500 watts for 4kg weight that sounds amazing I would carry it

but then to keep the weight that low it cant have an exhaust amongst other things, so can I ask you to only to use it when in France :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I have a Mosa gi200sx generator. It produces 1.5kva and weighs less than 4kilos. I was thinking of putting it in the van, when off grid. We mainly stay on sites, and only when travelling down through France in August did we find that it would of been handy, (hairdryer & straightners !!). I have 100watt solar panel and 2 x 110amp leisure batteries and we had no issues with power other than 12volt stuff tends to be crap!! Was just wondering if other funster's carry and use a generator and whether its worth the loss in space and weight, as well as carrying fuel for it as well.

Don't you mean 24 kg?
After carrying a generator round for two years without using it, it now sits in the shed with the other two generators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
4kg weight seemed too good to be true, it was,on the data sheet it says dry weight 22kg.
So unless you have no weight issues on the van I would not bother, also carrying petrol is another pain in the butt and please do not use it if your parked near me at any time, they are all noisy and smelly.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the OP made a typo.. it's data sheet says 22kg dry weight + fuel = 24kg. sounds about right

I carted a 2kva Honda around for 3 years when full time and only used it a couple of times, frankly it wasn't needed.. only used it to give it a run..

Save the payload for more useful kit

EDIT

snap ..

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a Honda EU10 1kw gennie converted to lpg which we never even bother carrying these days as we have never needed it.
I expect the day will come when we have flat batteries and the thing will be sitting in the garage at home.:doh:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I spends months and months trying to track down Mr BilltheDrill so I can park next to him and fire up my whisper quiet Kipor. ;)

I don't think people who use sites would need a genny especially if they have some solar but I full-time, mostly off-site, and I have one.

It is rarely used but, my word you are pleased you have one when you are in the middle of nowhere and you leave your lights on by accident.

(I don't have any pay load worries.)

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We were in the general camping area at first at lincoln the people next to us had their gene running all day until quite late, now I fully understand if someone is on a heart lung machine or something how important this might be, but I can think of no other reason for it to be on all day.

Got a van with a built in one, in the last 12 years have only ever started it about 4 times, and that was to stop the residual magnetism loss and save me having to "flash" it.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I did some searching on the Mosa generator and the only model I can find is the GI 2000SX, not 200. This puts out 1.5KVa, but the data sheet says it weighs 22 kg dry, not 4 kg. 22 kg is more in line with a generator of that power I think.
If you need it mainly for battery charging, a smaller unit would be more than adequate. I carry a Honda EU10i (900 KVa). I only bother to take it in winter and then not all the time. I too have 2 x 110 Ah batteries and a 135 watt solar panel.
If though, as your post suggests, you want 230V power for larger consumers, then a 1.5 Kva unit is more likely to suit. I cannot tell from the Mosa datasheet whether the output is a pure sine wave form or modified. If it is not a pure sine wave, I would be cautious about plugging in sensitive items. I have heard of modfied wave devices destroying GHD hair straighteners for example. Also, I would not plug it into the mains input socket where it might damage the Electrobloc charger / 12v controller (I think Hobby fit these units).
If you tend to be static for more than two or three days at a time, a generator can be very useful in winter. If you tend to move about more, then a B2B charger and a large PSW inverter for 230V supply might be a better bet. Again, take care if fitting a B2B charger that it does not cause confusion to the Electrobloc.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I carried generator on first ski trip many years ago in case of flat batteries, never used it so left behind on subsequent trips. Been on many ski trips since without it and only wild camp on 100a.h battery with no probs.
don't think you will ever get the use out of it, to warrant lugging around..

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have one, gets used once a year for a New Year meet and that's only because I have power hungry teenagers in the van and we are away 5 nights. The rest of the year it spends in the garage and only comes out for power cuts at home. :eek:

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Without reference to any previous posters, why should campers have noisy generators running so often and so long so that they disturb others? We were at a rally a few weeks ago where the kids were sitting inside the van watching tvs etc. while the rest of the family were sitting out in their awning chatting for most of the evening. Their generator was on the other side of their van, making a awful noise, ruining the tranquility for those nearby. Fortunately, we were just far enough away to be able to talk above the noise without shouting but the users of the mhs & caravans nearer wouldn't have been.

If peeps have to use a genny, can't they be put in a corner away from others or at least have an area upwind where gennies are not allowed for those of us want quiet?

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
everything is useless,or weigh,s to much until u need it,i carry 1 2 charge ann,s scooter/ breathing machine all electric,s in van work of 1000 inverter,no issues yet but 1 day may need it you do what is best 4 u, use it when necasary and be aware of the inconvenience it may cause 2 other camper,s

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
get a inverter fitted around 2kw would be good
i didnt know billthedrill hated gennys that much if i would have done like u jj i would have kept mine to annoy him or get rid of him :whistle:

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
get a inverter fitted around 2kw would be good
i didnt know billthedrill hated gennys that much if i would have done like u jj i would have kept mine to annoy him or get rid of him :whistle:
that seem's a bit personal

Upvote 0

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
So glad we took ours, stuck in a field with a flat cab battery no signal on the phone,no one left to ask for help.
Twenty mins later,fired up the gene attached the charge cables then on the way home.
Thank god i had it with me.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
carry a Honda 2kw, around all the time when wilding...it keeps batteries topped and runs heating and hot water, compressor fridge and everything else when required,, which would limit my stay anywhere if I was relying on batteries only.... no solar on my roof , no room. have a portable 80w solar unit now which helps but wont keep my van in power...I need a generator but like to think I consider others, and like to think others consider my needs.
ta andy

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
2 100 amp batts and two 80 watt solars we went from last week in April till 2cnd week in October in UK and never needed hook up or gennie!!!

Upvote 0

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
I carry a Honda ex350 300w,,20 yrs old,small ,light. and quiet

Plenty big enough for battery charging

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I
I'm sure you were running a gert big frame genny at one new year rally I was at, :)
I brought it never ran it Jim still have it in the box not even had petrol in it.
and it's a small Clarke
bill

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
We dont use a Generator as we have been watching the threads & have found we dont need one & she will plan to do her hair when on hook up, however it dawned on me on Sunday that yes we could use a genny as our current situation living on the top floor means to wash the MH we take it to my parents however if I had a Genny I could set up outside with a genny & power wash & not have to risk loosing my parking space (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Dumfries and Galloway May 2013, weather started well, forecast for gales with possible snow. Some will remember the national news, gale force winds driving snow, 9 foot drifts, 5-6 inches of level snow.

We were on a cl near Kirkudbright, power lines came down no ehu for 4 days unable to drive off the site. 2x 11o liesure batteries, 1 x 100w soalr panel. Short days , panel constantly covered in snow so no output, we struggled for power having to run engine to charge up batteries. Was intending to double up on solar but that decided me a genny was the way to go. Bought a 10eu Honda, only rarely needed it but its the peace of mind it gives knowing in extreme weather we have the means.

Horses for courses and of course being a Honda we'll get a good chunk of our money back should we pack up motorhoming and sell the genny. A no brainer in our case,

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A 150 amp alternator under the bonnet equals 2100 watts.

At tickover, in conjunction with a Sterling alternator to battery charger, after subtracting the current required to run the engine management, we have 90 amps going into the habitation batteries.

This recharges the habitation batteries 6 times faster than the built in charger running from a mains supply.

Any 240 volt appliances are run from the inverter.

A generator is a waste of time and payload for our useage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back