Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
All

I want to compile a play list, for my own pleasure, of music from the 50's forward to now (well not the really modern stuff).

What is the best way to go about this.

Thanks in advance
JohnT

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Downloading lots of individual tracks is going to get expensive. Why not look for compilation CDs in charity shops?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A few years ago I was going to get a USB turntable and record all my old albums (never was a singles person) in the loft onto the PC, complete with all the old hisses and scratches. Never got around to it. Nowadays most of those same albums are available on CDs or MP3 downloads much cheaper (in real terms) on Amazon than they were when I bought them as LPs originally. And no scratches or hisses. I have also added albums I wished I had bought at the time, but couldn't afford them, or didn't even know about them. Recent purchases include albums from Joan Baez, the wicked Picket, the Grateful Dead, Dylan, and Don Maclean. Nearly all well under a fiver.

Have a search on Amazon - it always amazes me the amount of stuff they sell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Me too, I did get a USB deck and started going through piles of singles before naming them and saving onto the Music folder. Then, as you say, life gets in the way, the deck and second crate of records got put back in the loft ne'er to be seen again. That was only the singles, there's about 600 LP's up their yet. If there's an odd tune I want from the 50/60's I work out the best value of buying one or two against the whole album. One good thing with Amazon, and it's happened more than once, they do tell you "You bought this album in 2003"! :unsure:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Spotify is the best way to do this, unless you want to hunt down old cds in charity shops. Quite inexpensive and you can have great fun surfing around lots of different music.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know its not popular on here but there are alternatives to download music for free. especially music that is so old its considered in the public domain. Just about every song ever sung or music recorded is online and can be downloaded free. lots of noise has been made of copywrite theft and digital rights however no individual has ever been challenged let alone fined.

Apple and Amazon et al have all got a vested interest to try and sell you what you can get free by other means

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
find a member of fun who has loads of mp3 music and copy his/her collection onto your pc job done and for nowt meet up at a rally or something

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I use an app called tinyshark downloader... Or bit torrent on the computer.. ITunes on the ipad (yuck)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's an app called iTube which is very good. Similar to Spotify but completely free. It's never let me down, even when searching for some obscure stuff.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
But do any of these streaming services actually let you keep the music on your pc so you get to keep them?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i gave her it save her bending down :)
Oh, it's string is it? I thought it was just something sticky stretched out.

Another source is iPlayer radio and then record it using Audacity. I read somewhere the law has changed or will do soon to allow you to record music for your own use, and as already mentioned no one is going to prosecute you if it is for private use.

Don't bother with the BBC podcasts, they seem to have the music tracks shortened in my limited experience.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I myself downloaded free, 'Appdroid', through that App, I downloaded again for free, MP3 music downloaded App. Once you have MP3 music downloaded app, you can search any song, artist, album and download for free in the MP3 format. Once you have required tracks you can transfer to you MP3 player or to a disc or to a memory card / stick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back