Are you "Homeless" with a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
An interesting story from the Western Mercury The headline says "Homeless" but the last paragraph says he live in a camper van! How can you be homeless with a motorhome? An enterprising guy nonetheless:Smile:

Weston homeless man sets up magazine

Link Removed

Graham Walker used to be found selling the Big Issue in Weston High Street, but has decided to go it alone with a new journal.

The 54-year-old, who has been homeless since the age of 14 and has written two books, says he made to move to give himself more freedom.

He will now write and produce his double-sided publication, named The Bigger Issue and The Expostulator, on a bi-monthly basis.

He said: "Now I have my own paper I can go around many different towns and sell my paper, which Big Issue sellers don't do any more.

"As a Big Issue vendor I tried to travel from town to town, but couldn't find a spare pitch to sell from."

Graham expects to make the same amount of cash from his new venture as he did when he sold the Big Issue.

He was able to branch out on his own thanks to help from friends.

Rae Howells, a former Big Issue colleague from Wells, donated him a laptop, and Veaseys, a printing shop in Totnes, offered its services.

Graham's current abode is a campervan and when he has finished a 10-day stint selling in Weston, he plans to start a tour of Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, before returning with his next edition around Christmas time.

The magazine, which contains features and a satirical slant on news events, is available priced £1.05 from Graham on High Street.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Jim, I think you'll find if you live in a motorhome, Caravan or static then you are officially "homeless" in the eyes of most authorities. :Eeek:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I would think that if the static is legally permanent it would be considered a home?????
When we lived in our bus we "needed" to be homeless, the local council arranged for us to stay in a local campsite, and although it was not permanent (for the council or us) we were allowed to extend the 28 day rule.
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I would think that if the static is legally permanent it would be considered a home?????
When we lived in our bus we "needed" to be homeless, the local council arranged for us to stay in a local campsite, and although it was not permanent (for the council or us) we were allowed to extend the 28 day rule.
Nigel & Pamala

Static cannot be permanent. It has wheels ergo it is a caravan. ::bigsmile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +

Yep, that is why it is officially known as a "Static Caravan" which should not be confused with a "Park Home" - the latter is a "Static" without wheels and, as far as I am aware, needs permanent planning permission - which makes it a "home".

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

Not strictly accurate :Cool:
Technically, a static can be placed on either a "holiday" park OR a "residential" park.
Holiday parks have a limited license and close for at least 1 month per year to comply with the conditions of the license. As such, you cannot attach a post code in this case.
If its placed on a "residential" park WITH a full 12 month license, a post code can be attached and the property will be considered as fully residential by the local authority.
The problem with statics as full residential is that supposedly they are considered by the authorities as not fit for 12 month habitation as they are supposedly built to a lower spec than residential park homes.
I rather think my father would beg to differ after living in his static for 6 years before he eventally decided to stay in Spain.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I have made mine into a proper little (or big) home........I even have a doorbell ::bigsmile:
R.V's have better isulation that most houses! :thumb:

Bhaa Humbug!

Boo

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
we live in a static 6 months and on the continent in the mh for 6 months when we arrived back end of march to the static we had threatening letters from the council about council tax they ve backdated it to nov 2007 the site is open for 10 m0nths fulltiming here we come alan

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Homeless

As I understand the situation, from a motorhomer, who needed to rehouse themselves.

Asked at the local housing department:

1) Do you have water conected to your current "home"?.................NO:cry:

2) Do you have mains drainage?..................................................NO:cry:

Mr and Mrs ....................you are officially homeless.::Smile:

Outcome........to the top of the waiting list...........housed within 10 days:ROFLMAO:

That apparently is the official status of homeless.

Nomadic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I understand the situation, from a motorhomer, who needed to rehouse themselves.

Asked at the local housing department:

1) Do you have water conected to your current "home"?.................NO:cry:

2) Do you have mains drainage?..................................................NO:cry:

Mr and Mrs ....................you are officially homeless.::Smile:

Outcome........to the top of the waiting list...........housed within 10 days:ROFLMAO:

That apparently is the official status of homeless.

Nomadic

Cheers, Ill bear that in mind when I'm too old to drive ::bigsmile:

btw... 2001 years is a long time motorhoming :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(see your avatar info )

Jim

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
:Smile:thanks for info on social housing but prefer homeless in spain& france in Mh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back