Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Could anyone come up with an explanation of this!!!
We just bought our compass drifter 1995 flavour motorhome, Went to York last week for 3 days, not a hint of damp smell anywhere,despite one night of very heavy rain, very relieved. Came home to Norwich Wednesday and van stood til yesterday. When we got in the van saturday morning there was a slight smell of damp coming from the rear end (door and kitchen end). We proceeded on a 50 mile journey the smell seemed to get worse and when we arrived it was quite strong. The smell could not be pinpointed but in the general kitchen, rear door area. We cooked dinner, cleared up, settled down for the evening and the smell gradually disappeared. We have returned home now, again with no smell. I have shut the van up and will go and check in a few hours but all seems normal again. Has anyone had this experience and knows the reason?
cheers! Gazzaeroo

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sounds like it might have been from the kitchen sink drain?
If you get it again try putting the plug in the sink.
Ours does it sometimes if we drive with a window open as it sucks he air throught the waste tank breather,
hence we drive with the plugs in, in warm weather.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Check your grey water tank and give it a good clean with some calgon tabs dissolved in some water and pour it down the sink and shower outlets and go for a drive around ,also check if you have a trap on the waist pipe entering the grey tank ,if not fit one they cost less than a 10er.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks for that, but am I right in thinking that there is a valve on the grey water tank to prevent this?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as said use the plugs . or get flat bits of rubber that can lay over the plug/shower drains . also fill the waste tank and let it go full blast none stopping that should help it drain any bits of food etc out .
have a read here,https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
its more for rv,s but its interesting and does work.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
there was a slight smell of damp coming from the rear end
It is never pleasant to have a slight smell of damp coming from your rear end!:LOL:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Thanks for that, but am I right in thinking that there is a valve on the grey water tank to prevent this?
No, there should be a breather on the waste tank, if air can't get out the water can't get in,& vice-versa, so your sinks would not drain as there would be an air lock.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks to everyone, I will take all the suggestions on board

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and a dose of the good old Bio washing liquid down through all the plug holes on the sinks and shower will freshen up the plug area and might help freshen the grey tank (y)

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
and a dose of the good old Bio washing liquid down through all the plug holes on the sink will freshen up the plug area and might help freshen the grey tank (y)
Worked for me!! Thought at first a farmer with his s**t spreader had moved in!. :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It always amazed me just how bad grey tank and its contents can smell

after its only a bit of washing up water :sneaky:
Its the mico-organisms farting, David......Seriously! They live in there, knoshing away at the waste food, skin, whatever, and break wind. This is what you can smell. Add bio, you kill the smell because your killing them!. They do a really good job, but their trouser habits are their death knell......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Eeerrrmmmm!

Whats a "grey water tank"?

:reel::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Well, you know that tap you open after a show, the one you leave open when you drive away?? That's coupled to.............

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Aaaahhh! That thingee!:rolleyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I suspect that this is more likely the waste tank/pipes stinking, but with an older van, owning a damp meter is essential. check regularly in all the usual weak points as catching it early makes a huge difference to the cost to repair

not massively accurate, but ok for diy, you can buy them under £10
Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
keeping the waste tank open all the time is one of the problems . you find odd bits of food stay in the tank. better to let it get full then empty the tank . the flow acrioss the bottom of tank sucks out the food bits . must have full flow continuous .

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If you have just emptied your grey tank, the water in the waste traps can get sucked out, this happens with our kitchen sink, we just run a tap for a few seconds to refill the trap after dumping the tank. (y)

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i have fitted u bends on bathroom and kitchen sinks cant get to shower very easily,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have bottle traps in mine but if you drive up mountain passes etc they empty out .
nature of the m,home i think . just cover the plug holes etc it works . u bends , bottle traps unless very deep just arent designed for moving around .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back