Ford Servicing Costs - Rip Off?! (6 Viewers)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just tried to book our Chausson on a Ford transit base in to local Ford garage for its first service under warranty & quoted over £252!!! It has only done less than 2000 miles & other than "basic checks" it is a very expensive oil change:mad: Don't mind paying when feel that we are getting value for money but feel a bit cheated. Having the hab service done seperately & that has to be £199 at Chausson approved dealership to maintain warranty so feeling a bit brassic:( We are used to main dealer prices for Citroen but didn't expect Ford charges to be so high.What have other Funsters paid for Ford motorhome servicing - is this normal?!

Last edited:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Check the small print of your service/warranty requirement, I have a Fiat base and it clearly says 30,000 miles for service not after 1 year. Although in Fiat case there is advice by users to change the oil plus filter yearly.This is done by me for £50 without effecting warranty. It could be that yours maybe the same the dealer will not tell you this the same as Fiat they just want your money

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Sounds heavy to me. From memory I was quoted £160 for a simple service at our local main dealer. As I am out of warrantee I will do the oil and filter changes myself.
I would ring around and ask for a cost breakdown. I assume the service is little more than change the oil and filters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Just had both hab and engine service done on my van, which is just 12 months old and still under warranty. Peugeot warranty required a nominal service, oil and filter change, levels all checked etc. - cost £135. Hab service undertaken by Swift local dealer (not the toss pots I purchased from) cost £163.50. Pleased with both.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Check your service manual. It may well be mileage based servicing and/or by- annual as a minimum. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for dealers to mislead owners of new motor homes so they can squeeze money out of them. Also, whilst your hab service will be a requirement of your warranty, it should not restrict you to your dealer. As long as it's an approved (forget the title and initials) habitation technician, this should surf ice.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've posted this before, OFT has issued a guide to say that:

You can have servicing done using an Independent Garage, which they say are 40% cheaper, and it will not effect your warranty!

Repairs do!

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Cal 54 May I ask where you had your MH service done, please? as my MH is also a Peugeot. Many thanks.
BillyS

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Cal 54 May I ask where you had your MH service done, please? as my MH is also a Peugeot. Many thanks.
BillyS
The engine was done by David Hayton in Lancaster (near Asda). I have received exceptional service from them during this 1st year of ownership.
Hab service by Todds of Lostock Hall. Great dealer and I can't praise them enough.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mk 7 Transit is 15k or yearly, whichever comes first.

This is a commercial useage regime, there is no 'light useage' schedule for motorhomes.

As mentioned, use an independent garage for servicing if the cost is too steep. We had our first 2 services done with Ford at about £250 a time but I now service the van myself using the printable schedule off the ETIS site and with genuine parts.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My Hymer is on a Tranny and as with all vans the usual service interval is 30,000 miles. Although an annual check on fluids won't go amiss.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
when you have a Habitation Check done, what does one get in the way of paperwork ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you think thats expensive, dont buy a Smart car and take it to a Mercedes agent for service. How the hell they can charge over £300 to service what is basically a lawnmower engine is beyond me.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can indeed now take a vehicle under warranty to an independent for servicing but can you be sure they are aware of any recall work that needs to be done? I'm not talking about safety recalls, where the manufacturer should contact you, but about other modifications which are sometimes done when the vehicle comes in for a routine servicing?

My Fiat had a major mod done on the air inlet side when it last went in for a service. There was no problem from my perspective but a valve had to be repositioned.

I guess this information might be available to independents but how are they paid for the work?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
when you have a Habitation Check done, what does one get in the way of paperwork ?
Booked in for first one so not done yet but most reputable workshops use the NCC checklist
Link Removed
So think you get a copy of this with items checked & damp reading plus receipt - same as with a caravan just a slightly different checklist.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all the replies so far & for reminding us about Etis info. which should come in handy to check what work should be done. As such a major purchase (even if not essential) think it best to have Ford servicing & stamp in the service handbook in case we need to sell it at some point:( Don't know any reputable independents to tempt us to change our mind anyway. Also the software updates & any recall issues being done automatically are worthwhile - see thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ford-transit-chassis-recall.87813/ . So the current plan is to ring around all the Ford garages in our area & see where we can get the best deal then maybe ask our favourite option to price match. Do think it is absolutely crazy that at 4 years plus Ford service prices are fixed at £125 for interim service & £195 for major service even on smaller commercial vehicles (motorhomes included) but on a one year old low mileage vehicle still under warranty they charge over £252 & do much less for it:mad: Has anyone had any sense out of their Ford garages & managed to get a sensibly priced interim service whilst maintaining their warranty?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Need to go through the small print in our Ford/Chausson paperwork too - sure it stated somewhere that the first service was a "low cost interim one" hence us being so shocked - just need to find it now...

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996

My hab service receipt came with a long check list and also specified that a gas check had been undertaken ( I believe this isn't always the case). I was also advised that the details of the service had been input to Swifts computer database so that the manufacturer was aware of my compliance with the warranty conditions.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Think i would go to Ford and tell them do it cheaper or im going to an independent, do it face to face you may get a discount (i mean a reasonable quote)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You cannot always trust main dealers,, I bought a Fiesta and it developed a gearbox fault in the first year but I had to have it serviced first to keep the warranty, 3000 miles and I took it in they phoned up a bit later and I went to collect, it paid £120 for a basic Service. When I looked in the bonnet I found that there was a little oil on the filler cap and nothing else. no drop around the filter or the drain plug just light brown road dust, I also was told they had checked to brakes but I had the locknut key at home by mistake???? They had done nothing, no oil change, no filter, no washer fluid(it was full) no airfilter but all charged for. as it was so low a mileage they could get away with it, but I could not prove it. It never went back after the box was repaired.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
By the way what do these figures look like

Service £439.20 Inc VAT
PDI £499.00 Inc VAT
Seal Check £390.00 Inc VAT

This was for a service at 7000 miles, and after I took it away the habitation batteries had bad corrosion on one of the leads plus the battery took nearly 2.5 litres of distilled water, with the water in one cell below the top of the plates.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can indeed now take a vehicle under warranty to an independent for servicing but can you be sure they are aware of any recall work that needs to be done? I'm not talking about safety recalls, where the manufacturer should contact you, but about other modifications which are sometimes done when the vehicle comes in for a routine servicing?

My Fiat had a major mod done on the air inlet side when it last went in for a service. There was no problem from my perspective but a valve had to be repositioned.

I guess this information might be available to independents but how are they paid for the work?

Another reason to use independents IMO: did the dealership ask your permission to move the valve and explain why it had to be done? A main dealer will upgrade ECU software and do any modification he's asked to do by the manufacturer - usually without asking the owners permission.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We were quoted £350+ for a first service at Peugeot but after reading the service manual again, it seems with average yearly mileage, a service doesn't have to be done till its second year or at something like 20000 miles. Our van is 16 months old and has 12500 miles on the clock. I changed the oil at 8000.
I'll wait till next June for its first proper service, but it won't be at a Peugeot dealer
Allan

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Check the small print of your service/warranty requirement, I have a Fiat base and it clearly says 30,000 miles for service not after 1 year. Although in Fiat case there is advice by users to change the oil plus filter yearly.This is done by me for £50 without effecting warranty. It could be that yours maybe the same the dealer will not tell you this the same as Fiat they just want your money
I think if you used inappropriate oil or filter it would effect your warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back