Beginner. We all have to start somewhere! (1 Viewer)

Nick P.

Free Member
Sep 29, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
I am a newbie.
OK so I have around 5 grand to spend so that I can dip my toe in so to speak. Question is what can I get for that price. Am I deluding myself in thinking I can get a good un that will be reliable?
Wants:- 2 to 3 berth, 240v hook up, sink and loo if poss, awning and as many luxuries as finance allows.
Transit or Trafic diesel spring to mind and possibly Autosleeper.
Any tips very welcome.
Cheers all,
Nick.
:wondering:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello ,
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with the 5k budget. (y)

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Plenty out there in that range you just have to be very carefull with damp problems
To avoid damp you need a panel van conversion, these will be DIY versions at that budget but there some nice ones about, But 3 berth is pushing it in a van conversion.

If I was looking this would be my choice of Motor home in that price range, later in the year they will get a bit cheaper try to keep a few £ in reserve to fix a few bits
This will get very close to 5k maybe a bit more

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Plenty out there in that range you just have to be very carefull with damp problems
To avoid damp you need a panel van conversion, these will be DIY versions at that budget but there some nice ones about, But 3 berth is pushing it in a van conversion.

If I was looking this would be my choice of Motor home in that price range, later in the year they will get a bit cheaper try to keep a few £ in reserve to fix a few bits
This will get very close to 5k maybe a bit more
Good choice for the spondoolicks I think, oh and welcome to the fun, it really is quite a nice place to be in cyberspace.

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<--- A good example - cost less than £50 in parts over 5 years, and passed every Mot with no advisories....

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Autosleepers one-piece GRP are a good choice. They're well-built, suffer few damp problems, and are easy to sell on. The last bit is important because once you have owned a MH you will develop preferences for size, layout, facilities, etc and you'll find that the one you buy will not be the one you want long-term.

Upvote 0

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
There is an autohomes sherpa on eBay in amazing condition, may be worth a look if you're after a cheap starter van. Its a 4 berth too! Sorry can't post a link with this thing doh! :(

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Welcome from Cumbria, anywhere near?
There are some about but as said beware damp.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Speak to some dealers, they get older px vehicles, which are sold/auctioned off ..........my hymer is one such example, 'main' dealer didn't want an '89 registered vehicle on forecourt, so it was passed down the line, and I got it for a good price........:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back