Is it time yet? Spanish speed limits. (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Earlier this year, well July actually, some posts included the NEW Spanish speed limits, what followed was a list of posts, that IMO suggested that Spain was not the place to visit in your motorhome as the police were waiting to jump all over you, as they are paid by the amount of people that they “Nick” and, the English visitors were the people that – some people seemed to suggest- should be targeted. Doom and gloom was predicted, just 1 kilometre over and that was that, who on earth could keep to 20 Km an hour though a Town or Village and so on and so on.

Well its now October and as I sit out in the sun in front of my Spanish house, wondering if I really can be bothered to go into the kitchen to get another beer (already knowing the answer :)) I realised that I had not read any posts from all of the people that must have surely been nicked.

Come on guys and girls, keep me up to date, how big are the fines? How many times stopped? Or was the doom and gloom perhaps miss placed?

I only ask as I have done about 1000 miles in Spain this last few months and I have struggled to see a police car, let alone be stopped.

:)

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Me too . seems it was all doom and gloom , if you are Not speeding then you will not be stopped at all , obey the speed limits , as you would in the U K and you will be fine .

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
A lot of Funsters avoid Spain in the summer months but the lemmings will be heading your way starting about now!
We will be setting off in January but my Missus (who does the driving) managed to do 3500 miles in Morocco last year without getting stopped once. And in Morocco the police have got zapping motor homers with their radar guns and fining them on the spot down to a fine art (they have to as the proceeds comprise a fair part of their income!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
who on earth could keep to 20 Km an hour though a Town or Village

The only answer has to be "any competent driver" hasn't it.

12.5 mph. Completely ridiculous though.

Or is it ? I doubt you could seriously hurt anyone at that speed.

Why don't they just train people to driver at the appropriate speed, which on rare occasions may be 20 or less.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Earlier this year, well July actually, some posts included the NEW Spanish speed limits, what followed was a list of posts, that IMO suggested that Spain was not the place to visit in your motorhome as the police were waiting to jump all over you, as they are paid by the amount of people that they “Nick” and, the English visitors were the people that – some people seemed to suggest- should be targeted. Doom and gloom was predicted, just 1 kilometre over and that was that, who on earth could keep to 20 Km an hour though a Town or Village and so on and so on.

Well its now October and as I sit out in the sun in front of my Spanish house, wondering if I really can be bothered to go into the kitchen to get another beer (already knowing the answer :)) I realised that I had not read any posts from all of the people that must have surely been nicked.

Come on guys and girls, keep me up to date, how big are the fines? How many times stopped? Or was the doom and gloom perhaps miss placed?

I only ask as I have done about 1000 miles in Spain this last few months and I have struggled to see a police car, let alone be stopped.

Hear Hear! We've been driving up & down Spain for over 5 years now, clocking up thousands of miles.

We've passed scores of police checkpoints with no trouble at all. They see our plate & wave us thru. They realize that we are all taxed & insured & are far more interested in their own uninsured drivers - there are over 200,000 in Malaga alone.

Most of the scaremongers are worrying unnecessarily. I find that a lot of 'third party duff gen ' is passed around.

Spain is great. Light traffic, sun & nice people.

Enjoy it & ignore the doom & gloomers.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
A lot of Funsters avoid Spain in the summer months but the lemmings will be heading your way starting about now!
We will be setting off in January but my Missus (who does the driving) managed to do 3500 miles in Morocco last year without getting stopped once. And in Morocco the police have got zapping motor homers with their radar guns and fining them on the spot down to a fine art (they have to as the proceeds comprise a fair part of their income!)

We will be Lemming our way down in just over a week's time. Can't see the difference between Lemming down in October or Lemming down in January, unless it's a different breed of Lemming, or the police aren't looking or the tolls are cheaper. :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not speed , but I want to know about the driving in tunnels with lights on and the GC on motorbikes, waiting to book Brits on the far end for not using them.
Do the new LED front lights count towards this Law, as proper lights or do they demand headlights still.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You must have headlights on, and the police don't wait at the end of the tunnel for Brits. I have never seen them waiting but if they do it is not for Brits......it is for ANYBODY! I drive a Spanish car and motorhome and they will Nick me just as much as you British driver.

I do sometime think that the British people think that the only reason Spain has police, is to catch British drivers. If you manage to see a police car on your travels ( and you won't see many) they are just like the police in France and the UK, if you do wrong, they Nick you! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back