Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We came back yesterday on the ferry from Calais and saw the least number of immigrants we've ever seen all the time we were there. Don't know where they've all gone because according to the sensationalist British media you're risking your life if you use Calais. :eek:

Was hoping to spot a couple and make a few quid bringing them over but no such luck. :whistle:

Seriously though apparently there were some at the Pet area but we don't have a pet so didn't affect us and with a little bit of common sense there really shouldn't be a problem as long as you're alert.

Plenty of vans on Calais Aire as usual.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We came back last Friday via the Pet Passport bay - didnt see any immigrants at all.

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
We came home last Sunday getting into Calais at about 9am. I asked the Border guy about the lack of Immigrants and he told me that it's during the night that they are most active. He said that they usually disappear during the morning to get some sleep before returning in the afternoon.

I then asked him about the numbers, were there as many as reported in the news? He told me that there was in fact a lot more, he had never seen so many. It still won't put me off using the port but the lack of any physical checks on our motorhome on entering the port was a little worrying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
Do you think that the Daily Mail journalist (if they can be called that) have a competition as to how many times their reports are mentioned on various forums

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have to say that although I believe we should control immigration into the UK properly I feel sorry for these poor buggers and admire their courage.

Having travelled a lot of the poorer parts of the world I've seen first hand how a lot of these people live and its heartbreaking. Obviously there are bad uns amongst them but imagine the courage needed to put your wordly goods on your back and trudge thousands of miles for a better life, how many on here could do it?
Every time we stop on Calais Aire Jan has a bout of compassion and wants to feed them all.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I don't understand why people expect checks to be done for them. It doesn't take much effort to look in and under one's MH surely. Truck drivers are expected to inspect their whole vehicle themselves which is a lot more involved than checking a piddly MH..... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I don't understand why people expect checks to be done for them. It doesn't take much effort to look in and under one's MH surely. Truck drivers are expected to inspect their whole vehicle themselves which is a lot more involved than checking a piddly MH..... :rolleyes:

Quite right it takes less than a minute to check under the van, as I said before a tiny bit of common sense is all it takes, don't understand all the hysteria. Maybe if motorhome owners faced the same penalties as truck drivers they'd stop passing the buck and take responsibility for themselves.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Quite right forestboy but when you've checked and reached a perceived secure area you don't expect it to happen also targeting motorhomes has only happened in the last 8 weeks or so therefore many of us were unaware of the problem until it was highlighted but do agree really no excuse now

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I had to park the truck in the secure truck compound in Calais a few years back. The place is surrounded by 9' high fence with barbed wire on top, and is patrolled 24/7 by several pairs of guards with alsatians. Despite the security 12 iraqis got in the back. ... As I woke up I saw 3 of them walk past the cab (with bulging bags full of Ferrero Rocher chocolates which they'd helped themselves to obviously when helping their mates onboard). Anyway 4 guards & 2 dogs ran over and 'dealt' with the stowaways... If they want a lift they'll always be 3 jumps ahead.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Came back through the tunnel on Thursday morning. No sign of anyone around the pet area. Appeared to be a lot more security guys than usual. Got asked usual questions about have we checked the van and looked underneath. Nice smooth transit.

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
We travelled from Newhaven at the end of Aug. and got searched on the way out and on the way back. But we put it down to them not having much to do at Newhaven, as there are only 2 ferries a day. On the way out we were asked if we had any firearms or big knives. I thought about asking if we needed them, and forgot about the bread knife. Coming back they were searching every van and looked in the shower, wardrobe, under the bed and in the outside locker.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
ok if your fit. but I would love to be able to get under my m/home. but when I get down I cant get back up. I know I will have to get a mirror on a stick.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Came through calais 11am today. Didn't see a single one on the road. There were a few near junction 3 where the wine places are but they seemed more interested in the lorry e around there

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
It still won't put me off using the port but the lack of any physical checks on our motorhome on entering the port was a little worrying.

There are far more clandestine checks on your vehicle than you think ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back