Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
There must be a few here who do their own servicing. Tesco petrol stations are selling engine oil at half price at the moment - 4 litres of diesel/petrol/semi-synth for £8, 2 litres for £4. I ordered loads for my pfs last week so there's plenty to go around.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
yes, good point.. I've Googled this but can't get a definitive answer.. plenty of forum postings , the most often mentioned is Comma Oils..

I don't know who supplies it but I guarantee Tesco don't want thousands of motorists queuing up to sue them because their engine oil has caused damage. I do know people love to knock Tesco and they don't believe anything can be cheap *and* good, but having worked for them since 1997 I know that sometimes prices drop dramatically just because they want to get rid of stock.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
can say i used tesco oils for years . i also worked for them . ran vw,s and m,bikes on it for years .
am running asda oil at the moment . they had it reduced a few years ago i bought several gallons . seems to work a treat.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I don't know who supplies it but I guarantee Tesco don't want thousands of motorists queuing up to sue them because their engine oil has caused damage. I do know people love to knock Tesco and they don't believe anything can be cheap *and* good, but having worked for them since 1997 I know that sometimes prices drop dramatically just because they want to get rid of stock.
As I said semi synthetic not in my motorhome. Or in my cars or in the trucks I ran.it all comes out of the same hole but it's wats done to it after wards wat count but u go for it simon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
can say i used tesco oils for years . i also worked for them . ran vw,s and m,bikes on it for years .
am running asda oil at the moment . they had it reduced a few years ago i bought several gallons . seems to work a treat.
Each to there own I use total oils

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone priced castrol oil at tesco, its usually as cheap as anywhere

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
U do want u want but semi synthetic na not in my machine

Some engines do require more advanced oils, granted, and yours might be one of them, but I don't see what your comment contributes to the conversation other than stating your own requirements and dismissing the offer.
The engine in our old bus is more than happy with 10w/40 but I treated it to some lovely semi-synth :) I even 'rinsed' it with a gallon of semi-synth I bought a while ago from a previous offer.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would say if you have an older aircooled vw . i think the best oil for them is an sae 30 hd oil. certainly i wouldnt run my aircooled vw,s on anything else .
probably morris,s as well.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Has anyone priced castrol oil at tesco, its usually as cheap as anywhere
As I said semi synthetic not in my motorhome. Or in my cars or in the trucks I ran.it all comes out of the same hole but it's wats done to it after wards wat count but u go for it simon

I bet you use Redex ;)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Some engines do require more advanced oils, granted, and yours might be one of them, but I don't see what your comment contributes to the conversation other than stating your own requirements and dismissing the offer.
The engine in our old bus is more than happy with 10w/40 but I treated it to some lovely semi-synth :) I even 'rinsed' it with a gallon of semi-synth I bought a while ago from a previous offer.
My engine is a euro-5

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( Oh dear, something else I will have to learn about.... don't understand what all this 150 10 /40 etc is all about.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used Comma oil in my motorhomes of the day for years and years without a problem...

Mind you they were of the more mature variety!

My consultant mechanic says I should use mineral oil in my 1987 Hymer as better oil will just spoil it...

I would definitely use the discounted Tesco oil if I was in Blighty.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Did that not happen a while ago ? Was it faulty fuel ?

It happens occasionally due to unforeseen circumstances, but I believe it happens to all businesses. Tesco are the biggest so they get the most attention though.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
I used Comma oil in my motorhomes of the day for years and years without a problem...

Mind you they were of the more mature variety!

My consultant mechanic says I should use mineral oil in my 1987 Hymer as better oil will just spoil it...

I would definitely use the discounted Tesco oil if I was in Blighty.

JJ :cool:

This is a good point. Using modern oils in an engine that doesn't need them can cause damage as the viscosity is much lower.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
My engine is a euro-5

So it will need a fully synthetic low SAPS oil to meet emissions regulations (not to make the engine run any better). Fully synthetic oil (not sure if it's the 10w/40 you'd need) is also reduced to £5 for 2 litres, just in case you need any. I didn't mention this one because I forgot we sold it and only do the 2 litre containers.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
OH Goody, does it smell of Fish&Chips:clap2:

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
:( Oh dear, something else I will have to learn about.... don't understand what all this 150 10 /40 etc is all about.

It's just how thick the oil is when it's cold compared to how thick it is when it's hot. You don't want your engine oil to be like water when it's hot and porridge when it's cold. Your owner's book will tell you what you need.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Is that y u bye cheap oil.....:Eeek:.....,,5-30 synthetic total oil

I bow to your superior knowledge of all things luby. This oil, however, would be unsuitable for my old bus as it's too runny when cold.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is there anyone you haven't worked for Alan ?

Either you worked for just a week each one or you are really, really old. 

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
So it will need a fully synthetic low SAPS oil to meet emissions regulations (not to make the engine run any better). Fully synthetic oil (not sure if it's the 10w/40 you'd need) is also reduced to £5 for 2 litres, just in case you need any. I didn't mention this one because I forgot we sold it and only do the 2 litre containers.
I have an account with my local dealer quite happy wat I pay for it. Plus I have a fuel card so wen I use it I can get oil and things at a cheaper rate. But I am glad your happy with your oil as I am with mine......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back