Bound to have been asked before, but... France. Hints & Tips? (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
As P-plate newbies we distinctly feel the draw of abroad (sunshine and spiffy noms). Could you lovely people please give us a list of do's, don'ts (how do you spell that??), and 'you really should know this' replies so we can be better prepared?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Alltheairs book and maybe France passion all the rest just falls into place. Enjoy

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nay... buy the books over in france . they will be in frebch so that gets you learning more french words .
mind almost every village is ok for stopping for a night .
but speak french and break the ice . enjoy it have an adventure .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
nay... buy the books over in france . they will be in frebch so that gets you learning more french words .
mind almost every village is ok for stopping for a night .
but speak french and break the ice . enjoy it have an adventure .

I'm ok at speaking Le French... it's when they answer me I get confuzzled.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you soon get used to it . wait till you venture to morocco , they speak french but its totally different . bastardize it terrible . but dont worry . off the ferry turn right . keep the sea on your right . when its time to come home turn round keep the sea on your left and see it all from a different angle .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
you soon get used to it . wait till you venture to morocco , they speak french but its totally different . bastardize it terrible . but dont worry . off the ferry turn right . keep the sea on your right . when its time to come home turn round keep the sea on your left and see it all from a different angle .

What a fantastic attitude, I love that :) I use it sometimes to direct people around here because we're right on the coast - "just keep the sea on your right and you can't miss it"

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Could you lovely people please give us a list of do's, don'ts

A bit of searching on here will provide a list of things to take, not just the corkscrew but high viz, bulbs, condoms etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
A bit of searching on here will provide a list of things to take, not just the corkscrew but high viz, bulbs, condoms etc.

I've heard about the requirement for hi-viz and bulbs, but condoms is a new one. Are they compulsory? Do the French wimmin pounce on 50 year old English motorhomers with receding hair and man boobs? There is, of course, the obvious attraction, but can't they control themselves??

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just enjoy the ride, there's lots of lovely towns and villages, the list is endless. Aires, municipal sites and big all singing sites. Wine, food, cognac, food, wine :wine:. Markets, chateaux, mountains, lakes. It's all lovely.
It's great living down here cos it's so close. :france:

Do you collect Tesco points cos you can use them on the tunnel, we do and only top up the price with a few quid - it enables us to go over 4-5 times a year :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Just enjoy the ride, there's lots of lovely towns and villages, the list is endless. Aires, municipal sites and big all singing sites. Wine, food, cognac, food, wine :wine:. Markets, chateaux, mountains, lakes. It's all lovely.
It's great living down here cos it's so close. :france:

Do you collect Tesco points cos you can use them on the tunnel, we do and only top up the price with a few quid - it enables us to go over 4-5 times a year :D

Do we collect Tesco points? I work for the buggers! :) I see you're in SE Kent too. Hello neighbour! Your description sounds madly appealing so we will have to do the right thing and hop on the tunnel :)

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I've heard about the requirement for hi-viz and bulbs, but condoms is a new one. Are they compulsory? Do the French wimmin pounce on 50 year old English motorhomers with receding hair and man boobs? There is, of course, the obvious attraction, but can't they control themselves??

O you are in for a treat wait till you meet JJ or even see piccy

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use the tunnel with Tesco points as well. Wouldn't go any other way. As has been said, All The Aires, France Passion and ACSI sites too. There are loads of decent non toll roads so look in atlas for those. Overnight in town and village aires but not motorway aires. Try not to let the 'gassing threads' put you off.... Damn it I've started something now ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Eat the cheese, drink the wine, and try to talk the lingo !

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome. Not that big a problem, but bear in mind that you cannot get Calor gas once out of UK. Either make sure you have enough or invest in a French bottle when you get to France. Easily dealt with but not something you might have considered!

Wyn

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
caxton card for euros is helpful ....lot also use halifax clarity credit card as its cheaper. all the aires book definaltey and this website Link Removed

loads of info on this forum

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How long you going for and when are you going?

A Three SIM card plus credit will give you free calls and data and some aires apps will make finding places to stay easier.

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Good app for you phone and tablet is campercontact.
Broken Link Removed

The basic version is good but the paid for version (about £4) gives all aires in the books. You can add your own if you find one thats not listed and also take pics and review existing aires and upload photos.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
How long you going for and when are you going?

A Three SIM card plus credit will give you free calls and data and some aires apps will make finding places to stay easier.

We've recently changed back to Three after a disastrous few months with giffgaff (O2), so that's good.

No plans in place yet; I tend to research things a lot before I do anything, which I'll admit isn't the way I'd like to live, but until I can afford to waste my valuable time off work that's how it is.

Looking forward to France very much though.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
This is something we will be doing next year and with seafood in mind with a good wine!

I like the idea of heading right at Calais!.....sounds good advice to me

hope you enjoy it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back