Motorhome Breakdown Cover vs Car Breakdown Cover (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
How come Safeguard can insure our motorhome and provide 12 months breakdown cover in Europe for just over £300 p.a. but with the AA it costs anywhere between £233 and £341 p.a. purely for European breakdown cover (no insurance cover) for our car plus £95 UK breakdown cover when the car is worth about 25% of the value of the motorhome? It just doesn't make sense to me or am I being dim??
Any advice welcome.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
While Adac covers ANY vehicle owned or driven, throughout Europe, for under €80 ....................

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And ADAC cover MOROCCO .....BUSBY:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Would have liked ADAC cover as I have heard they are very good, but have also read that they are not accepting any new members from outside Germany - something to do with a disagreement they have had with the AA.................... unless anyone knows any different?

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
On and off for many years
Here's a bit of news that might be of interest concerning UK and European breakdown. I learnt today that, despite incorrectly printed mail shot information, the new Nationwide FlexPlus current account @ £10 per month gives you full coverage for all vehicles you own including motorhomes up to 7.5 ton, up to 8m in length. You also get the worldwide holiday insurance and a number of other extra services. It seems like a pretty good deal to me.
I'd been struggling with what way to jump having AA membership that didn't seem keen suitable to cover my motorhome at 3.65ton + separate holiday insurance cover.
Has anyone else made use of the Nationwide account offering as a motorhome breakdown solution?

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Just looked through the "At a Glance Summary of Features" from my Nationwide Flex Plus Account. UK & Europe breakdown & recovery specifically excludes .... motorcycles, motorhomes, caravanettes, commercial vehicle, etc., etc. (Page 8). Also, vehicles must be less than 7.0 metres in length, 2.3 metres wide, 3 metres high & weigh less than 3.5 tonnes fully loaded.

Think I'll be making a call tomorrow for clarification. :confused:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was told by an AA mechanic that the ADAC cover is no longer valid. ADAC were paying only a small amount of the breakdown recovery cost, making the tie up not financially viable. It wasn't too bad covering German holiday makers on a reciprocal agreement, but when large numbers of Brits signed up it all reached breaking point

Until ADAC can renegotiate the cover or find a new partner, it wont pay them to take on new British customers

That's what I was told anyway

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I was told by an AA mechanic that the ADAC cover is no longer valid. ADAC were paying only a small amount of the breakdown recovery cost, making the tie up not financially viable. It wasn't too bad covering German holiday makers on a reciprocal agreement, but when large numbers of Brits signed up it all reached breaking point

Until ADAC can renegotiate the cover or find a new partner, it wont pay them to take on new British customers

That's what I was told anyway

Well a mechanic would know...BUSBY...

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Result! Just rang Nationwide and Lostasusual is spot on. Apparently the underwriters changed their conditions, etc. in the last few weeks. Therefore all motorhomes up to 7.5 tonnes & 8 m long are covered for UK & European breakdown & recovery through FlexPlus. No registration of vehicles needed. (y)(y)(y)

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
Ninovan - Re Nationwide cover. Also received confirmation email from them that the breakdown cover applies to your spouse's use of your vehicles. It seemed to be another grey area due to lack of up to date T&C.
Britannia runs the service.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm struggling with this at the moment as well. Arrival seems the best option but as I'm already an rac member they are being funny about payments (I'm on monthly and they only offer annual for arrival) plus

The nationwide Web site still says motorhomes are excluded and rescuemycar have a height restriction of 2.40

Agggggggggg

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'm struggling with this at the moment as well. Arrival seems the best option but as I'm already an rac member they are being funny about payments (I'm on monthly and they only offer annual for arrival) plus

The nationwide Web site still says motorhomes are excluded and rescuemycar have a height restriction of 2.40

Agggggggggg
Not 100% sure but I thought you also had to be a member of the c&cc for arrival. Also I seem to remember there was a discussion about this a few weeks ago as to the difference in prices paid (and whether you had european cover or not)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
There was.. I've been searching. As a new customer RAC will do arrival including membership of c&cc but as an existing member they will charge me more money, not include the membership and prevent me from paying monthly as I have for years as an RAC member. One of those I could have put up with but all 3 added together is winding me up.

Although I'm struggling to find an alternative

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
There was.. I've been searching. As a new customer RAC will do arrival including membership of c&cc but as an existing member they will charge me more money, not include the membership and prevent me from paying monthly as I have for years as an RAC member. One of those I could have put up with but all 3 added together is winding me up.

Although I'm struggling to find an alternative
Isn't ADAC plus what you need?, again thought I'd read it on here

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Isn't ADAC plus what you need?, again thought I'd read it on here
Seems to be some confusion about whether they are still doing it for UK customers and I don't like the idea of having the rug pulled because the cover isn't right.

I tried calling the number but realisted meine deutsch was too rusty lol

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Regarding Adac.. They still use the AA
Still taking membership.. But I think it's for plus only..
You have to phone.. The number has been posted on here numerous times.. They do speak English. (most do.. Or just ask)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
After extensive searching I found another company too.. have asked for some more details and will confirm when I talk with them.

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
Debs.
I went for Nationwide FlexPlus to get the motorhome breakdown cover for UK and Europe. Their paperwork is still wrong but, for the cost, I can't see a better option.

Simon Jones

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Somersham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Now i am confused.com as just had this from Nationwide customer services!

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm afraid that's not right, our breakdown cover does not include cover for motorhomes at all.

I'm not sure where you've heard that information but we definitely don't include motorcycles, motorhomes, caravanettes, commercial vehicles (all types), vans, pick up trucks and vehicles being
used for hire and reward purposes (such as taxis).

Any vehicles that we do cover have to be less than 7.0 metres in length, 2.3 metres wide, 3 metres high and weigh less than 3.5 tonnes when fully loaded.

I'm really sorry about that! But if you would like anymore information on the FlexPlus insurances I ave added a link below for you:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/p2226-flexplus-guide.pdf

Can anyone help me with how they have got around this?

Thanks
Simon

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It is the rules of the policy. It certainly has said this as long as I've known about it. I phoned a few other providers and had the same answer. I went with shoreline direct in the end as their prices were very competitive.

Simon Jones

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Somersham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Further reply from Nationwide Flex Plus which hopefully clarifies!

Hello Simon,
Thanks for getting back to us, it's interesting you've been told this as we've had no notification of this change.

I know my colleague Laura spoke with our FlexPlus Team and they gave her the answer she then relayed to yourself, so I double checked this with our Insurance Team.
They have said that we did indeed change our policy a couple of months ago, and this is our new standing on the breakdown cover.
It is applicable to any privately owned vehicle, and the measurement restrictions are as follows:

Less than 7 metres in length, 2.3m wide and 3m high

Less than 3.5 tonnes when fully loaded

Hopefully this helps!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Further reply from Nationwide Flex Plus which hopefully clarifies!

Hello Simon,
Thanks for getting back to us, it's interesting you've been told this as we've had no notification of this change.

I know my colleague Laura spoke with our FlexPlus Team and they gave her the answer she then relayed to yourself, so I double checked this with our Insurance Team.
They have said that we did indeed change our policy a couple of months ago, and this is our new standing on the breakdown cover.
It is applicable to any privately owned vehicle, and the measurement restrictions are as follows:

Less than 7 metres in length, 2.3m wide and 3m high

Less than 3.5 tonnes when fully loaded

Hopefully this helps!
This needs a new thread , if it's right , it's got to be a winner , breakdown , medical , kitchen stuff , mobile insurance all for free ! Or even if the £10 a month is right , it's still cheap for all this

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
:(:(
Broken Link Removed
See the above. Page 6 right at the bottom - Motorhomes.

Would be nice if they knew their products :mad:

Would be even better if the length limit was 8.5m. Doh.:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back