LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Looked out my window to see a fire engine lights flashing, hoses on parked across my drive, it seems a new neighbour poured petrol onto a pampas grass stood back and threw a match...luckily no one was hurt but the next door house has lost their fence, decking and winter wood store. Police arrived as it turned into a bit of a domestic.

I took down a tray of drinks and got chatting to fireman Owen, asked him how big the rig was as I fancy a bigger van and he'd almost managed to get his up my drive. 4 metres he said! Daft lad mines 6.4 said I. His defence was that he didn't normally drive it. Anyway I came in as there wasn't anything left to see and all the drama was over. Hour later knock on the door, tray returned with lots of sniggering from the back. Fireman Owen says he's had a measure and it's 8.3 metres long. All his mates were obviously giving him a hard time. Nice that nobody was hurt and we had a giggle but I feel for both the neighbours, not a great start for the newbie and very distressing for the other.

Don't know what daylight will show, but thank goodness for the fire brigade.

Why she was trying to get rid of a pampas grass at 9pm on Monday night is anyone's guess...now where did I put my keys?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Looked out my window to see a fire engine lights flashing, hoses on parked across my drive, it seems a new neighbour poured petrol onto a pampas grass stood back and threw a match...luckily no one was hurt but the next door house has lost their fence, decking and winter wood store. Police arrived as it turned into a bit of a domestic.

I took down a tray of drinks and got chatting to fireman Owen, asked him how big the rig was as I fancy a bigger van and he'd almost managed to get his up my drive. 4 metres he said! Daft lad mines 6.4 said I. His defence was that he didn't normally drive it. Anyway I came in as there wasn't anything left to see and all the drama was over. Hour later knock on the door, tray returned with lots of sniggering from the back. Fireman Owen says he's had a measure and it's 8.3 metres long. All his mates were obviously giving him a hard time. Nice that nobody was hurt and we had a giggle but I feel for both the neighbours, not a great start for the newbie and very distressing for the other.

Why she was trying to get rid of a pampas grass at 9pm on Monday night is anyone's guess...now where did I put my keys?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Reminds me of when our neighbour's pampas grass needed the fire treatment a few years ago. We soaked the fence next to it and I stood on our side with a hose ready. No petrol and the plant burned easily without harming the fence.

On another occasion our next but one neighbour had a rubbish fire and failed to damp it down properly. We spotted the (pampas grass) neighbour's shed on fire and I ran to tell them whilst Jill phoned the fire brigade. Luckily it was down the bottom of the (long) garden but it took out the shed and a fair quantity of fencing.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And don't tell him--- but pampas will still grow back even if you set fire to it.
He needs a digger to get every bit of root out.......but maybe not let him loose with machinery.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We live on a little unadopted lane, lots of people have put stones under their hedges to prevent lorries going down, in fact my drive is kind of the bottle neck and without removing my wall there is nothing we can do. The neighbours whilst lovely just don't want to concede 6 inches of their hedge/front garden. Fair enough we are not bothered but it does make access a bit tricky for the van.
However, think some hedges may be coming down and stones rolled away this weekend as they have all realised how difficult access is in an emergency. I'm off to browse Travelworld and Southdowns. That bigger van may be on the cards after all.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
8.3.....? I should take another look at the photo I sent you from Lincoln(y) auto, beige leather, and a lovely champagne colour.... Martin should treat you for being such a lovely neighbour!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
8.3.....? I should take another look at the photo I sent you from Lincoln(y) auto, beige leather, and a lovely champagne colour.... Martin should treat you for being such a lovely neighbour!
We will both have to work on him at haggers.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We will both have to work on him at haggers.

I will be in a near identical version for comparison, the one at Lincoln was over £100K and still had a manual gear box. whatever next

(presumes we looked at the same MH of course)

good deal going on ours :D

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Are you thinking of selling then David?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Is she a Druid.........could be the priestess of fire:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013

We are considering.

Well I was feeling a little sympathy for the new neighbour, really stupid thing to do but we all make mistakes etc however, went to take Harry to school to find both the motorhome and my car are covered in ash, not a happy mousy today.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Oooo there is a big motorhome sales place very close to Hagnaps meet as well ::bigsmile:
Spinneys? Its on my to do list carol, (y)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
New neighbour not a Swinger,just stupid!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I think some one must like firemen. or maybe early firework night.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
You know you want one a bit like mine Dawn!! And I certainly don't mean Ron! :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back