Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
im a motorhomer !!!

Collected it yesterday and stayed overnight in cumbria. Well chuffed !

One down side, the van battery was completely dead this morning amd we needed a jump start. We had selected the leisure battery when we arrived and we also plugged in to the mains so completely confused as to why it was dead.

I rang the gentleman that sold it to us but unfortunately he never answered. But how nice is this, when he eventually saw the missed called he drove over to the site where we had stayed to see if there was a problem and to offer help by which time we had left.

So nice to see someone so concerned, absolute true gentleman,

Anyway back home now and trying to find a way to restore the very faded grey bumpers, so if anyone can offer advice apart from heat gun or peanut butter methods it will be much appreciated.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Congratulations on your new toy, you will have some great times ahead.

As regards the engine battery did you happen to use the cab radio for a long period?

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Congrats on the purchase. Try silicon spray on the plastic or, I prefer, Auto Glym, they do an excellent restorer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the battery gets charged from the mains when its selected at the control panel. a flat van battery overnight indicates a poor battery, alternator connection, or something left switched on. totally flattening a battery or leaving it uncharged will kill the battery quickly

bumper plastic fading is caused by the surface being damaged by uv rays from the sun. dressings like silicon spray and peanut butter are only temporary fixes. A heat gun does work, but best done carefully. otherwise the only answer is to paint them

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
There are several good plastic and bumper dressings available at any good Motor Factors.
I would google up 'local motor factors 'if I were you.
Good luck with the new acquisition

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
On my 2000 van the bumpers were very grey,I searched eBay and found a product from the States that you just applied with a sponge.
They are now black and look like new.
Sadly I am not home but if you can wait till tomorrow I will be there and look in the garage for you.
Also good for door handles etc. "I'll be back"

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
(y) First trip is often a voyage of discovery, for all sorts of reasons

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Can't wait for next Saturday when we pick ours up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we bought our Smart car the door mirror on it were terrible - so bleached and blotchy I thought they'd never come good, but hubby used some stuff he got from one of the cheap shops and it is amazing what a difference it made, now, 2 years later, just a quick polish with the stuff and they're look as good as new! He also uses it on our camper's bumper and mirrors.

He's currently using something called 'Black Pack' by Car-Price which cost the princely sum of £1 (Poundland I think!).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
And I tried it..........85p jar from Sainsbury and it works a treat!(y) (plus I can get a spoonful down my neck while I'm working):D
once used on the bumper, it tastes like over ripe roadkill:rofl:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
this Broken Link Removed

or this is what I used last Broken Link Removed

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
this Broken Link Removed

or this is what I used last Broken Link Removed

In the past I have always used the second of those but at 85p Sainsburys peanuts has got it hands down on price.

OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Found a possible solution which is autobright grey restorer, emailed them just waiting a response

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sorry for the delay mate,product is called Forever Black Bumper and Trim Cleaner and reconditioner.2 bottles one to clean then the black dye which has pigment in it.sure you will find on evilbay,less than £20 from memory,dead easy to use and loads left after doing bumper,which is large,door handles and anything else I could find!!
Honestly found it better than most cheaper products and still looks great after a year.Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back