Caravan Porch Awning Fit To Fiamma Awning? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Know not everyone likes awnings but although we love our Fiamma one need some extra space for longer breaks/bad weather but trying to figure out how to attach caravan style porch awning with 6mm Kador strip - help needed please:) Know that drive away awnings designed for motorhomes have 4mm Kador so fit straight on to the Fiamma or can add drive away kit but thought we could use the figure of 8 channel & Kador from one of these to attach porch awning but not working out! Does anyone know if the figure of 8 channel comes in 6mm either side as well as 6mm& 4mm?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Or Kador strip 4mm each side? Keep seeing photos of motorhomes with same type of porch awnings fitted so must be a way!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The joining strip beading can be one of two types: either 6mm one side and 4mm the other, or both 6mm - Fiamma awnings need the former and Omnistor I believer are the latter.

We've done exactly as you are trying and it wasn't a problem once you've got the kit - so you need a kador kit with the 4mm/6mm beading strip ...

P3233041.JPG
porch awning.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or fit a length of P trim awning rail under the fiamma awning. very easy to do and absolutely no fuss fitting a porch awning

P trim can be screwed or glued to the van with sikaflex, and even painted so it blends in with the van colour

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
under £18
Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
or fit a length of P trim awning rail under the fiamma awning. very easy to do and absolutely no fuss fitting a porch awning

P trim can be screwed or glued to the van with sikaflex, and even painted so it blends in with the van colour

Not having a Fiamma awning on the RV, that was my solution.. as said, very easy to fix and you can fix it at exactly the correct height..

DSC_5920.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
under £18
Broken Link Removed
Yes that's an option if you are able to do it and can attach it so that it doesn't snag on the door top etc, we couldn't do that with our PVC even if we wanted too as the rail would have to go below the Fiamma awning where the light it and when the awning is attached it would rub on the top of the sliding door.

The beauty of a drive away kit is that you can wind the Fiamma out, attach the back of the awning itself and then wind it back in - no need for steps or having to reach up to attach it.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for the swift replies:) We can't affix an awning rail strip due to ventilation grids & general design of that part of the motorhome. We do have a 6-4mm driveaway kit but that is what doesn't do it! Going from 6mm on awning into 6mm one side of figure of 8 then 4mm Kador fitting into 4mm slot on other side still leaves 6mm not 4mm to go into Fiamma:( Hope that makes sense?! Need figure of 8 with 6mm each side or Kador strip with 4mm each side. Don't know if 6mm-6mm driveaway kit has anything other than different (6mm-6mm?) Kador strip? Thinking about gluing/stitching 2 Kador strips together opposite ways around to make it 4mm each side? Anyone done this successsfully?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can buy the strip with just the 4mm on one side with the rest being flat. We took our awning to someone who repairs tents who sewed the strip onto the awning next to the existing bead. This 4mm then went into the Fiamma.

Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thank you for the swift replies:) We can't affix an awning rail strip due to ventilation grids & general design of that part of the motorhome. We do have a 6-4mm driveaway kit but that is what doesn't do it! Going from 6mm on awning into 6mm one side of figure of 8 then 4mm Kador fitting into 4mm slot on other side still leaves 6mm not 4mm to go into Fiamma:( Hope that makes sense?! Need figure of 8 with 6mm each side or Kador strip with 4mm each side. Don't know if 6mm-6mm driveaway kit has anything other than different (6mm-6mm?) Kador strip? Thinking about gluing/stitching 2 Kador strips together opposite ways around to make it 4mm each side? Anyone done this successsfully?

What you appear to have, from your description, is 2 pieces of 'tape', one with 6mm either side and another with 4mm either side

What you actually need is a single strip with 6mm one side and 4mm the other - like this:

$_35.JPG

The diagram below shows how you should use it (the 'awning channel' would be the front slot on your Fiamma awning):

awning attachment.png

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you Minx but we do have a driveaway kit - one Kador tape with 6mm one side & 4mm on the other & figure of 8 sections also with 6mm on one side & 4mm on the other - it does all work with our big motorhome driveaway awning (in the way your diagram above shows(y))as it has 4mm Kador but it doesn't work with the (caravan) porch awning as that has 6mm Kador stitched on:( Thank you Mikeco it's good to know 4mm one sided Kador exists & can be sewn on but don't know anywhere in our area that could do that & think it would kill my sewing machine! Might try gluing some though to see if that bonds well enough but not sure what glue it would need? Don't think I'm doing very well explaining but hopefully those that have had the same problem might have some more ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think the confusion is because some Fiamma awnings have 6mm slot but ours has 4mm just to make things difficult!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So if I NOW understand you rightly you say you have:
  • Fiamma awning with 4mm channel
  • a piece of Kador tape with 6mm beading on one edge & 4mm beading on the other
  • figure of 8 sections with a 6mm channel on one side and a 4mm on the other (never seen this before!)
  • a caravan awning with 6mm beading on
If that is the DEFINITELY the case then you need to get some Fo8 sections with 6mm channels on each side, your caravan awning 6mm beading will then go into one of the 6mm Fo8 channels, the Kador tape's 6mm beading will go in the other side and the 4mm beading will slot into your Fiamma front!

If that's wrong then I give up! :rolleyes: :D

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Correct! The figure of 8 channel is Quest brand which is 6mm one side & 4mm on the other - if anyone knows of a brand of channel that is 6mm on both sides then we will be very happy bunnies with our problem solved!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The usual Fo8 is 6mm on both sides, it's the Quest one that's very unusual, hence the confusion. Any MH dealer should be able to sell you the 6mm x 6mm Fo8, or you can buy it on ebay etc quite easily:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you Minx - have emailed Johns Cross to check on sizing on what they sell as don't want to waste any more money if I end up with the same thing again!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thank you Minx - have emailed Johns Cross to check on sizing on what they sell as don't want to waste any more money if I end up with the same thing again!
As I said, your Quest set is very unusual - AFAIK Fo8 are normally 6mm both sides - where did you get our set from?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As I said, your Quest set is very unusual - AFAIK Fo8 are normally 6mm both sides - where did you get your set from?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Quest from Capital Stores so major retailer. Contacted Quest but just referred to retailer & still waiting to hear back from Capital. Not sure that our FO8 is so unusual as others have has to find alternative solutions too but just need to find the figure of 8 channel that definitely fits 6mm Kador each side at the right price now...

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sorted now:) After some persuasion Quest are sending replacement figure of 8 strips as now their current stock should fit 6mm both sides. Also have just seen Kampa 6mm-4mm driveaway kit code AC0310 which is smart grey Kador & grey figure of 8 definitely fitting 6mm on both sides - hurrah! Hope our & the other Funsters (much appreciated by us) efforts on here helps some others too (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... that's great ... we got there in the end! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back