Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Varies
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2008
What do you expect from them as a minimum ,following a night of thunderstorms and heavy rain? Do they have a duty of care?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
they have a duty of care to ensure the site is safe at all times and be a point of contact if an emergency arises..

if, for whatever reason, the site is unsafe they have the responsibility of notifying the appropriate authorities, informing campers and assisting if required.

more information needed, you obviously have a specific situation on mind..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Indeed, loads more information required to be able to supply a structured, appropriate and sensible answer.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A sensible answer you have to be joking. OK then, as a campsite owner I would expect all the campers to turn to with bucket brush and shovel to clear up the mess that would not have happened had they not been there. Hee hee

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
they have a duty of care to ensure the site is safe at all times and be a point of contact if an emergency arises..

if, for whatever reason, the site is unsafe they have the responsibility of notifying the appropriate authorities, informing campers and assisting if required.

more information needed, you obviously have a specific situation on mind..

I'd say exactly as Jim has said.
They're not responsible for the weather but if adverse weather caused a danger or unacceptably high risk then the owner/ manager would have to take steps to prevent injury, death and loss. Could be from clearing the site, sending everyone home to putting up " don't drive on the grass" signs.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What do you expect from them as a minimum ,following a night of thunderstorms and heavy rain? Do they have a duty of care?
You must be southern Spain. Had everything but plagues of locusts so far on my holiday here.

But trying to be serious their legal duty of care ends at ensuring the site is safe. I can't see they have any legal obligation to help people flooded or bogged in but morally they should help and commercially it should be in their interests to help unhappy campers. There might be a case for negligence if the site was poorly drained and/or it had a history of flooding and no warnings were given.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
In france this august there was a big storm forcast for the early hours, the campsite staff went around the whole site, informing people of the forcast, they were insisting all children sleeping in pup tents selpt in the main unit on thier pitch and they kept the bar open all night for people who wanted to shelter in a building.

no storm came, but it was a nice gesture

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
In france this august there was a big storm forcast for the early hours, the campsite staff went around the whole site, informing people of the forcast, they were insisting all children sleeping in pup tents selpt in the main unit on thier pitch and they kept the bar open all night for people who wanted to shelter in a building.

no storm came, but it was a nice gesture

More than a gesture SC seems the campsite take 'duty of care' more than seriously. Have you got a name so that I can add it to our list of 'sites to visit'!(y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
no, not really.
I'm an adult, I don't yet need to be cared for.

All I ask, is that I get on a pitch and off a pitch.

also of course, if im paying, I expect the toilets and showers to be clean anything else is a bonus

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had the guy at Rowntree Park, York, (CC), refuse to open the emergency gate when the river flooded the site. He said as it was Sunday, the locals didn't like to be woken by MHs and Tugs going up the street!
End product was, both our car and tug, (at that time), were flooded as we attempted to drive out. Not a happy Toots. :mad:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We had the guy at Rowntree Park, York, (CC), refuse to open the emergency gate when the river flooded the site. He said as it was Sunday, the locals didn't like to be woken by MHs and Tugs going up the street!
End product was, both our car and tug, (at that time), were flooded as we attempted to drive out. Not a happy Toots. :mad:

Ah yes the well known..........total inflexibility:( even in an emergency rules is rules to a jobsworth.:eek:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
More than a gesture SC seems the campsite take 'duty of care' more than seriously. Have you got a name so that I can add it to our list of 'sites to visit'!(y)

this is the campsite

http://www.camping-guyonniere.com

allthough to be honist I could not recomend it, we only stayed because we meet our daughter and son -in-law there. it was very diss-jionted, very big, and the pitches that were on grass had not been prepaird correctly, more like a field with hookups, the toilet block was new, cleaned severail times a day ((it need to be because of the dirty (sorry to say British) campers making a mess it all the time) but the showers were next to the loos and water would flood from the shower into the loo so not good planning there. Bar was good, entertainment was cheessy but fun, it did have a small aire in the middle but I dont know what the charges were for that.

OP
OP
G

Goronwy

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Varies
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2008
You must be southern Spain. Had everything but plagues of locusts so far on my holiday here.

But trying to be serious their legal duty of care ends at ensuring the site is safe. I can't see they have any legal obligation to help people flooded or bogged in but morally they should help and commercially it should be in their interests to help unhappy campers. There might be a case for negligence if the site was poorly drained and/or it had a history of flooding and no warnings were given.
Yes you guessed correctly,Southern Spain ,and I agree with you morally and commercially it would be in their interests to help unhappy campers.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes you guessed correctly,Southern Spain ,and I agree with you morally and commercially it would be in their interests to help unhappy campers.
Well in that case UK law does not apply so you can forget about the common duty of care owed, as stated in my previous post about Donaghue V Stephenson. I am not familiar with Spanish law other than when in Benidorm you must give way to traffic when your on a zebra crossing and traffic has the right to molicate pedestrians when crossing on a green light. I suspect unhappy campers in Spain might just as well piss into the wind.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
this is the campsite

http://www.camping-guyonniere.com

allthough to be honist I could not recomend it, we only stayed because we meet our daughter and son -in-law there. it was very diss-jionted, very big, and the pitches that were on grass had not been prepaird correctly, more like a field with hookups, the toilet block was new, cleaned severail times a day ((it need to be because of the dirty (sorry to say British) campers making a mess it all the time) but the showers were next to the loos and water would flood from the shower into the loo so not good planning there. Bar was good, entertainment was cheessy but fun, it did have a small aire in the middle but I dont know what the charges were for that.

Thanks for the info SC but it had the key turn off for Mrs BB and self.....big!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back