Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2001
We've just come back from 2 months travelling around France and Spain while travelling we experienced some really mixed weather, one morning we pulled the awning out to give us shade from the sun a couple of hours later I was struggling to pul the awning in against the wind and rain, the awning wound in but one side was still not in by about 4inch
We still had four weeks holiday left so i tied strapped the awning shut to avoid it opening while driving, now I am home I can open the awning but the loop where the winding handle attaches turns ok but it sounds and feels like there is I cog slipping
Any ideas on how to fix this myself would be appreciated

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Best to get it looked at properly but we have had a few problems with our Fiamma awning and what I've learned is:

When unwinding (putting it up) check the arms (the things with elbows) open up evenly. We find sometimes one keeps its "elbow" tucked away and you need to grab it and free it.

Ensure the legs are properly stowed away before winding the awning away. Check the feet especially, these need to lie flat against the outer rail.

Put it away before the wind gets up!

From your description it sounds as if the awning was rolled up in a way which caused a crease or fold so that side went in faster. Trying to force it closed may have damaged the gears but if you unwind it fully and then try to wind it in you may clear the problem - unless the gears are stripped of course.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It sounds like the gear in the gearbox is stripped, or has teeth missing ..

Best way is to remove the gearbox and investigate what has gone wrong with it.. then, if required, order new parts from FiammaStore

have a look on the parts list for your awning.. select size at top of list
gearbox part No is 98655-153

http://www.fiammastore.com/Spares_Search/_F45_i_Size_250_to_400_
Great reply Jim, I have saved that schematic for future use! Thanks mate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i had the same problem and just by chance i was in Eastbourne at the time and drove to johns cross motorhomes and they had the gearbox part on the shelf,i sourced some tools off a mate in eastbourne and fixed it while parked up on a beach.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back