MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
no, but I get like a kid in a sweet shop following threads like yours

just watched a thread where someone had been to Venice

as we will be on the French Riviera next month, thought we would 'pop over'

it is 400km from Monaco :doh:

so I need yet another month to do part of Italy and a reminder not to try to do it all this year

enjoy the planning, will watch your progress (y)

edit

technically in answer to your question, yes somebody will have

my 'no' applied to me :D

OP
OP
Adog
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Fiat Bessacarr E495 6 ber
Exp
I'm a newbie
We really looking forward to it and the planning - thinking of Venice, Florence, Rome and back up to Pisa not sure about route down though - mountains & tunnels :coolest:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
How long are you going for?

Hilldweller is the Italian expert, others may have followed in his footsteps but not walked a mile in his shoes.

OP
OP
Adog
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
2 -3 weeks hopefully :)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Ok, I'd work out the mileage of where you want to go to and get back from, convert it into hours spent driving and that will give you a ideal of the shape of your trip, then you can roughly decide how many hours a day you want/need to drive.

This helps show if your plans are over ambitious or realistic.

Or just wait and someone who knows what they are talking about will come along!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Did it via France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland last May. It rained in Venice for four days solid so we drove to Arles where it was sunny, very sunny and extremely sunny! But we are going back to Italy sometime.
We have stopped in Lugano in Switzerland and got the train to various parts of Northern Italy in the past. Good value.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We did Belgium, The Romantic Road and then down to Rome, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and back up Lake Garda. Hint from us - don't be too ambitious, and use motorways in Italy - all other roads are horrendous!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We did Belgium, The Romantic Road and then down to Rome, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and back up Lake Garda. Hint from us - don't be too ambitious, and use motorways in Italy - all other roads are horrendous!

Seconded X 100 and whatever the cost it'll be cheaper in the long run!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
It's a very long way to the bottom and not worth the bother. Stay up north; the toll roads are nowhere near as expensive as France. English markets tend to be cheap and crap, Italian markets are a bit more expensive but worth it. I always like to take a picture of the Leaning Tower at just the right angle so it looks like it is stood straight. Then you can put a caption under saying "What's all the fuss about?"

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We have cycled extensively in and around Italy down as far as a Lazio.
We have also taken the van down to Sicily and have booked to go on an organised history trip to Pompeii and the other sites in the Sorrento area.

From this you can see that we love Italy!

For a first trip I would stay within northern Italy.

If you like beautiful countryside with hilltop villages and ancient history and medieval castles try Tuscany, Marche, Umbria.

If you like art and 15-17c history try Florence, Venice, Lucca and Siena or any of the other cities in the north

Or if you are the adventurous type try Rome, Sorrento, Sicily, Cantabria areas in the south.

Each have their own uniqueness and are all well worth visiting

Bear in mind that the campsites tend to have smaller pitches and are more expensive than France and the further south you go you hit more of a cash oriented society.

Wherever you go you will find the people extremely friendly, food to die for, sights that will remain with you forever, and a relaxed way of life that we northern Europeans find strange but could only wish for

Go and see yourself, you will not regret it!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're thinking Italy next summer too. Anyone know of anywhere particularly dog friendly or unfriendly?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
italy is magical try the lakes prefer garda and then maybe a few days in lido de jesolo and a short boat trip to venice Florence is a must and rome is total history just go follow ya nose and u will love it

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Consider lake Iseo. A stunning place and well worth the visit. Allow for 2-3 days each way which would give you a full two weeks in the area. Some pictures in the showcase.

OP
OP
Adog
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys - some great advice and much of it coincides with the areas we'd like to visit like Venice, Florence, Pisa, Garda. We only get limited hols each year so we can only do so much, otherwise we'll come back needing a rest. Thanks for the advice about the Italian roads, we'll take it on board. Thanks once again - appreciate it. Alan & Deb

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
alan if you only have limited time dont take to much of a journey on hopefully you will have other opportunities to explore other parts of italy at a future date for a short tour maybe lake garda and venice bother near each other but imho i would suggest lido de jesolo and a boat to venice it only costs around 7e as far as i recall there is also a 24hr pass which allows u to use other boats in venice much like a buss pass in london also lida has a strip with shops bars restaurants etc

mrhappydog

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner IT728G
Exp
Marina Di Venezia is fantastic if you have a dog. Wonderful beach, great bars, loads of places to eat, easy to jump on boats to Venice or any of the islands. Not cheap but one of the only sites that has a massive dog area. We spent May and most of June there. Tis a bit German.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you lot are making me green with envy. I want to go [ pretty please ]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun