Carrefour before Calais (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We're hoping to find a large Carrefour on our way back to Calais and don't want to use the one at Cite Europe because of stories about illegals trying to get on board. We know they stock the wine we like! Some where within an hour or so of Calais. Any ideas?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Maybe you should add what direction you are coming from.. No good it being an hour the opposite side of Calais..(y)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry, should havesaid we're coming from the south. Currently at Parc Verger!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I think you will find the Calais Carrefour is the only one that stock huge quantities and large varieties of wines, mostly intended for us guzzlers!!
There is a newly enlarged Carrefour in Rue but their wine selection is very poor indeed.
I'd go to Calais. You will be in good company - lots of other motorhomers. Just lock up securely and check under the van. Being so busy there you are unlikely to have any company on your journey home! It's the coaches which are targeted there.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We 'topped' up our wine supplies at Carrefour two weeks ago............. it was fine. They have a car park for motorhomes which is only 100 yards or so from the shop entrance. There were half a doz other motorhomes coming or going at any one time so felt quite safe.

I would not worry too much (we were concerned like you but when we got there no problem at all).

Enjoy .... Hic!

:D

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I think you will find the Calais Carrefour is the only one that stock huge quantities and large varieties of wines, mostly intended for us guzzlers!!
There is a newly enlarged Carrefour in Rue but their wine selection is very poor indeed.
I'd go to Calais. You will be in good company - lots of other motorhomers. Just lock up securely and check under the van. Being so busy there you are unlikely to have any company on your journey home! It's the coaches which are targeted there.

I would agree with this advice. You will get better choice here and more chance to buy by the case. Of course I am assuming that you want buy a reasonable quantity - we have it worked out by weight, how much we can squeeze in the van and stow safely. Thankfully our van has a large payload, so we never dry out! :cool:o_O

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would agree with this advice. You will get better choice here and more chance to buy by the case. Of course I am assuming that you want buy a reasonable quantity - we have it worked out by weight, how much we can squeeze in the van and stow safely. Thankfully our van has a large payload, so we never dry out! :cool:o_O
Maybe teaching you to suck eggs but just some advice for those who stuff their MHs to the gunnels when returning ... whilst a litre of wine is around 1 kg in weight you MUST also take account of the weight of the bottle too which can soon add up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Maybe teaching you to suck eggs but just some advice for those who stuff their MHs to the gunnels when returning ... whilst a litre of wine is around 1 kg in weight you MUST also take account of the weight of the bottle too which can soon add up.

Decant into empty plastic lemonade or water bottles or buy boxes - no weight problems then.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Decant into empty plastic lemonade or water bottles or buy boxes - no weight problems then.
... but that means opening them and then they won't keep! You can buy it in plastic bottles or boxes/cartons but we've found that they don't keep long.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use the Auchan at Calais find it cheaper for fuel also, about 2 miles or so from tunnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We stocked up nearer Bordeaux and had fantastic wine with amazing prices. Still got a fair few left, tho may have to get even more next time to encourage stock turnover :wine:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We are at Cite Europe at the moment , a few vans here but no sign of any immigrants .. Perhaps in the morning, they will have a shock if they hide under our van as we are heading to Spain lolol

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Amiens if you're on A16 Broken Link Removed

There are 3 Carrefours at Arras . This looks like the largest Broken Link Removed

This one has a Foire aux vins until Oct 5. Broken Link Removed. Bethune, A26

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back