Advice on Spanish Gas Cylinders and Regulators Please (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
I am planning to use a Spanish gas cylinder this winter in Benidorm because of the prices charged for electricity on the camp sites. I will try to buy one in the market or el Cisne rastro if possible.
Does anyone know where to buy a high pressure take off coupling and hose to connect to the regulator in the van?
I do not have an external barbeque so cannot back feed with a standard regulator.
I am not sure if the Spanish cylinder will fit into my gas locker, approximate size would be helpful, eg about the same size as UK 13kg or ??
Another consideration is the cold nights in Benidorm and Butane not gassing off in the Mornings, is Propane available?
Thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We got one from Autogas 2000 for UK bottle, don't know if the thread is the same as the propane bottle, worth a call anyway.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Spanish Cepsa (grey) 13kg propane gas cylinders are 30.5cm diameter x 55.5cm high. Other makes e.g. Repsol, (orange) may be slightly smaller because of not having collars.
You need to be a Spanish resident and sign a contract at the regional office to LEGALLY buy a propane cylinder where I live, in the Costa Blanca. If you are very lucky, you may be able to pick one up at a Rastro.
The rules regarding butane are less stringent, just need to sign a contract at the supplier, or better still pick one up second hand, loads about.
The regulator connects directly to the top of the gas bottles, same regulator for both types, so you only need a low pressure hose to connect from the regulator to your system, which should be available at any caravan/motorhome dealers. Hope this info helps!
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Dave, Do you need a licence for Gas bottles on a camper? thought it was only for home? I refer to Spain.

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Spanish Cepsa (grey) 13kg propane gas cylinders are 30.5cm diameter x 55.5cm high. Other makes e.g. Repsol, (orange) may be slightly smaller because of not having collars.
You need to be a Spanish resident and sign a contract at the regional office to LEGALLY buy a propane cylinder where I live, in the Costa Blanca. If you are very lucky, you may be able to pick one up at a Rastro.
The rules regarding butane are less stringent, just need to sign a contract at the supplier, or better still pick one up second hand, loads about.
The regulator connects directly to the top of the gas bottles, same regulator for both types, so you only need a low pressure hose to connect from the regulator to your system, which should be available at any caravan/motorhome dealers. Hope this info helps!
Dave
Thanks Dave,
I don't have a low pressure inlet on my van, the regulator is installed into the van and connects to the gas bottle with a high pressure hose. Butane seems to be the easiest option and on cold mornings I will sit the cylinder in a bowl of warm water from the shower block:rolleyes:. The size info is really helpful, will check tomorrow.(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
having had a cepsa bottle ever since the stainless bottles came out i can say spending most winters in spain or morocco . but in spain never had one not vaporize. years ago they were giving the stainless ones out for free thats how i got mine . must have been 15 yrs ago i think. but you can get an adaptor for spanish 35 mm bottles and a high pressure hose from BES Broken Link Removed
give them a ring . possibly the cheapest place in uk.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Micky, you need a license to obtain the gas bottles initially regardless of where you are using them. If you can obtain them secondhand, it gets round the license problem, although you may need to show the license at the 4-yearly gas inspection, which must be carried out by a motorhome-certified gas engineer before you can obtain your (first) ITV - and they are like hens teeth where I live. My Rapido will be 4 next May, so I've got to find an engineer before then so I can show the new gas inspection certificate at my first ITV. Typical Spanish bureacracy!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes , better not live there . uk is ideal no regulations . best place in europe top live . hee hee
just visit spain in winter and bring lots of beer wine back with you makes sense .
cant see the point in living there . ;)

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Thanks Dave, Never had a problem till now, imported my Sea Sloop with 2 x 6kg refillable Gaslow and now on Spanish plates, nobody looked in the gas locker? Guess it all depends on which ITV station you go to? but asked the question as my new van a 2013 Sunlight T57 has space for 2 x 13 kg Spanish gas bottles so I should be OK for 3 years?

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, Micky no one will be interested until your first ITV is due, then as you say, it all depends which province you live in and which station you go to - much the same as the UK, it varies enormously.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Micky, you need a license to obtain the gas bottles initially regardless of where you are using them. If you can obtain them secondhand, it gets round the license problem, although you may need to show the license at the 4-yearly gas inspection, which must be carried out by a motorhome-certified gas engineer before you can obtain your (first) ITV - and they are like hens teeth where I live. My Rapido will be 4 next May, so I've got to find an engineer before then so I can show the new gas inspection certificate at my first ITV. Typical Spanish bureacracy!

Things must be tough in your neck of the woods!!

Never had a licence for gas supply and never been asked at ITV Cdntre for a licence.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
If you're going to Beni gas bottles are usually available for sale on camping Raco notice board. Regulators are available at the camp shop opposite or adapters if you have a built in bulkhead regulater fitted .
Alan

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Should be ITV Centre....... typo.

Just bought new hoses and regulators yesterday for both house and van as they are required to be changed every 5 years...... hoses and regulators are date stamped. Regulator €5 ea and 1.5 metre hose €2 ea. Cepsa gas bottle which we use home and away currently €17.40.

Attachments

• 20140924_101754.jpg
    20140924_101754.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 70
  • 20140924_101803.jpg
    20140924_101803.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20140924_101831.jpg
    20140924_101831.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140924_101928.jpg
    20140924_101928.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 64

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Dave,
I don't have a low pressure inlet on my van, the regulator is installed into the van and connects to the gas bottle with a high pressure hose. Butane seems to be the easiest option and on cold mornings I will sit the cylinder in a bowl of warm water from the shower block:rolleyes:. The size info is really helpful, will check tomorrow.(y)

Have stayed at Benidorm anumber of times in winter months, butane cylinders never been a problem.

regards, Bryan

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
A big thankyou to you all, pretty much sorted with all the posts, I know the camping shop opposite Raco, Butane cylinder should be OK from campsites, Raco, Villasol or the markets.(y)(y)(y)

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
Propano can be less easy to find in southern Spain (Andalucia in my experience), but most Repsol outlets will have one or two bottles. I prefer it because then I can head north and still use whatever I have left in the cyclinder on freezing cold mornings. The cylinders are slightly smaller diameter than UK 13kg.

The Spanish jumbo adaptor is available from Gaslow: Broken Link Removed

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
This is what you need, if you already have a bulkhead regulator fitted. It's a simple unregulated Spanish bottle connector. You will also need a butane pigtail to connect the connector to your bulkhead regulator.

Don't buy a Spanish regulator or you will be regulating the pressure from the bottle twice which could cause problems.

134339_lge.jpg
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ca...tor_for_spanish_and_portuguese_cylinders.aspx

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
By the way, buy the Spanish connector here in the UK. Cheaper than Spain, that's if if you can find one in Spain. We were in Benidorm and a friend of ours wanted one and had a hell of a job finding one. When he did, the connector and pigtail cost him a fortune!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A big thankyou to you all, pretty much sorted with all the posts, I know the camping shop opposite Raco, Butane cylinder should be OK from campsites, Raco, Villasol or the markets.(y)(y)(y)
If you are at Villasol there is a Dutch guy up towards the back of the site who sells all the bits etc.reception will tell you where he is (y)

Sep 22, 2014
Milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
Since 2000
I am planning to use a Spanish gas cylinder this winter in Benidorm because of the prices charged for electricity on the camp sites. I will try to buy one in the market or el Cisne rastro if possible.
Does anyone know where to buy a high pressure take off coupling and hose to connect to the regulator in the van?
I do not have an external barbeque so cannot back feed with a standard regulator.
I am not sure if the Spanish cylinder will fit into my gas locker, approximate size would be helpful, eg about the same size as UK 13kg or ??
Another consideration is the cold nights in Benidorm and Butane not gassing off in the Mornings, is Propane available?
Thanks.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As previously stated The. solution is a butane pig tail and a Gaslow Spanish adapter, however if you currently use propane, you can use one of these, , with the Butane pigtail.

Then you can just use the same Butane pigtail for both bottles.

:cooler:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
The Spanish jumbo adapter is available at the camping shop opposite Raco as I had to buy one last year after my previous one failed.
Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back