OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have not moved the van for a couple of weeks or three and the van battery is getting very low, I checked it on the switch board thingy. I am going to take her out for a long run soon. If I find there is not enough battery to start the engine, can I jump it from the leisure battery? Or will this break something?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have not moved the van for a couple of weeks or three and the van battery is getting very low, I checked it on the switch board thingy. I am going to take her out for a long run soon. If I find there is not enough battery to start the engine, can I jump it from the leisure battery? Or will this break something?
HEY ODDY! Rumour had it that you had been eaten by a TORY!.....:)

Should be fine, just make sure that all your 12volt stuff that runs off your hab battery is turned off first.(y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
No......leisure batteries are not for starting engines...you will damage it.

Put it on electric hook up if you can. Have a look here.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Put it on electric hook up if you can.
I start my boat on a leisure battery all the time. No probs.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I start my boat on a leisure battery all the time. No probs.
I was reading the above link from the c&cc and the advice seems to be they have different make up....you might be lucky with your boat????

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its my very last leisure battery..........And so it dosent matter what happens to it. I have replaced all the others with traction batteries, but a one off start wont hurt his battery, in fact, it might just jolt some crap off the plates!.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
HEY ODDY! Rumour had it that you had been eaten by a TORY!.....:)

Should be fine, just make sure that all your 12volt stuff that runs off your hab battery is turned off first.(y)

Ha ha! No tories here! Been house hunting, might even have found a place. Have to see how things pan out this week. Very exciting!

Put it on electric hook up if you can. Have a look here.

Link Removed

Thanks, interesting article, just had a quick look through. I was worried about the different construction.

It is too far away from a power outlet to hook it up. Might see if I can redirect the charging wires from the solar panel to it from the leisure battery. I always thought there should be a switch there so that I could decide to top up the van battery with the solar if needed. Might see about putting one in.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Might give it a go then. The leisure batter isn't great to be honest, bit old! Solar is constantly charging it even when not used, it should be trickle charging not fully charging all day!

It needs replacing soon any how, might risk it!

Thanks Guys :)

Its my very last leisure battery..........And so it dosent matter what happens to it. I have replaced all the others with traction batteries, but a one off start wont hurt his battery, in fact, it might just jolt some crap off the plates!.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple the habitation battery up to the starter battery, then go and get a brew, read the paper, or put a bet on. After about half an hour, go fire up the van. The habitation battery should have put 'gently' put something into the starter battery during your break, and therefore any 'strain' will that the starting procedure may cause will be greatly removed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lots of leisure batteries are just starter batteries anyway, if you leave them connected to the engine battery for a while before you start it will put some OOMPH back into the starter battery and put less strain on the leisure ones.

If they are all the same type of battery you could connect them all up together in storage with a light wire and just disconnect for starting, put a small fuse in and it will stop you frying the connection cables.

sorry Tootles just realised I duplicated your idea.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
As an aside, I feel a lot of the technical advice offered by the big 2 clubs is out of date, more relavent to caravans and is not based on real world experience.
Motorhomers should take it with skepticism and caution.

The clubs haven't a clue about off grid use, do not encourage it and create fear of being off EHU within their membership! After all, campsite dependancy sells nights on their pitches!

A quick read of any article discussing such matters in their magazines is all the proof you need!
The articles are usually very vague and present the products which make their advertisers the most money as best solutions!:doh:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
From all the research I did before deciding on Trojan for use in conjunction with a large solar panel, it would appear that most "leisure batteries" are just starter batteries with a picture of a caravan or boat on the label.
So to answer the OP I would think it's ok to use his leisure battery to start his engine(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back