Can I transport 3 people in a 2 berth campervan ? (1 Viewer)

PaulR

Free Member
Sep 20, 2014
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi all,

My father has a 2 berth campervan ,a Bessacar E460. It's a 2 berth but my girlfriend and I have a 5 yr old girl and would love to use his camper. However at present it's only got two front seats and belts, question is there a way to provide a third seat or is that not possible or sensible ?

The bed could easily accommodate us.

Any advice appreciated !

Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK the answer is yes ... BUT ... you need to check on the legalities regarding your little girl as she would have to be in the front passenger seat and I can't remember what the 'rules' are on kiddies sitting up front in a vehicle. It would mean you, or your t'other half, would have to travel on the rear seat unbelted seating so you need to be aware of, and accept, the risks associated with that. Also, it might be sensible for your father to check the insurance for his MH in case it says it is only for transport 2 people in total.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Unless there are 3 seat belt`s.... or 1 for each passenger,,,, NOT legal...

And heaven forbid..... is it worth taking a chance with your daughter...

My opinion.... dont even think about it... sorry.. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Unless there are 3 seat belt`s.... or 1 for each passenger,,,, NOT legal...

And heaven forbid..... is it worth taking a chance with your daughter...

My opinion.... dont even think about it... sorry.. :Smile:

Does it not depend on the age of the vehicle?

Our previous van, a 2004 Fluerette, could sleep 4 but carry 5 and it only had 2 seat belts.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes it does depend on the age of the vehicle, I 'assumed' it was an older van (ie pre-2007) but maybe not, some info on here:

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaulR

Free Member
Sep 20, 2014
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
It's a 2008, and be assured our safety and especially the 5 yr olds is top priority ;-)
Thanks for the link, looks like we might be buying a tent instead !

Paul

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For vans built after Oct 2007, passengers must be belted.

Retrofitting a travel seat in the rear is a minefield and requires a lot of structural work. It is simply not worth it!

My only suggestion might be that you investigate whether the cab has mounting points for the double passenger seat that would normally be fitted in a commercial version of the chassis cab. It would compromise the lounge layout but could be fitted prior to you using the van and would provide safe seating for all with a booster for your daughter.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As a 2008 it should have designated seats.. So as such anyone else in there means you break a "construction and use" rule...
This is always a very grey area and gets asked all the time.. Never a 100% answer..

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The double seat normally found in a commercial cab has exactly the same floor fixings as the single one fitted now. The seat belt for the additional middle seat is on the seat frame. This means that you could swap the seats quite easily even on a temporary basis. There must be loads of double seats around and I have a new one in my garage that I would gladly give away, however I have pinched the seat belt from it.
The other problem will be that the logbook and therefore insurance will show only two travel seats.

Mike

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It was a ruling,introduced about 5 years ago AFAIK that you could only carry the same number of passengers as belted seats. Which is crazy as a lot of vans have more berth capacity that passenger seat belts. EG my Hymer has 4 seatbelts and is a 5 berth.
My old Hymer OTOH had 4 belted seats but also had 2 unbelted rearward facing seats (which are safer that seat belts) this gave me a passenger carrying capacity of 6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It was a ruling,introduced about 5 years ago AFAIK that you could only carry the same number of passengers as belted seats. Which is crazy as a lot of vans have more berth capacity that passenger seat belts. EG my Hymer has 4 seatbelts and is a 5 berth.
My old Hymer OTOH had 4 belted seats but also had 2 unbelted rearward facing seats (which are safer that seat belts).
Not in rear shunt they ain't!

There are a lot of MHs which have more sleeping berths than travel seats but not everyone wants to share a bed so perhaps that's part of the reason.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The short answer is no. If you use the loopholes suggested in this thread you will probably be OK until something happens at which point the only opinions that matter at all will be those of the police and your insurance company neither of whom will be interested in any justifications you can come up with.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Not in rear shunt they ain't!

There are a lot of MHs which have more sleeping berths than travel seats but not everyone wants to share a bed so perhaps that's part of the reason.
I have no knowledge of your sleeping arrangements,
you may be correct but statistically they are safer,which is why military transports have rearward facing seats.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi
I had a 2007 swift with 2 seat belts I took my grandson on a trip to Norfolk my wife sat in the back on the bench type seats i went round a corner and she came of the seat and hurt her back,when we got home i looked into seat belt laws (only my interpretation of the information)
If the van is up to 2007 it is not against the law to have occupants without seat belts but if there is a accident it is up to the police officer if you have taken reasonable care of the occupants if he thinks not you will be fined etc also your grandchild has to be seated in a belted seat/child seat.
From 2008 onwards all occupants have to be in a seat belt.

This is only my advice do not take the chance you would not forgive yourself if anything happens.

I have changed my MH to one with 4 seat belts and always advice people to get one with 4
so they do not have the problem you are now having.
Paul

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi
Also forgot to say I checked with my insurance and they said if the occupants have not got seat belts on you would not be insured.
Paul

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If the van is up to 2007 it is not against the law to have occupants without seat belts but if there is a accident it is up to the police officer if you have taken reasonable care of the occupants if he thinks not you will be fined etc

If there is an accident and the person not wearing a seatbelt is injured or injures someone else you can be pretty sure that the police officer will decide you have not taken reasonable care of your passengers safety.

Hi
Also forgot to say I checked with my insurance and they said if the occupants have not got seat belts on you would not be insured.
Paul

These are the two points that make whatever the law says about old vans not needing seat belts completely irrelevant.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if it is a ducato i have a double seat available for very little money was like new condition but been in shed for 3 years so not sure how its fared there are only two bolts to fit these seats

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back