Kampa air awning bowing under heavy rain ? (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Just bought one of these kampa air awnings and under very heavy rain I notice the top section between the motorhome and the first air tube seems to have an excess of material. This means it fills up with water and bows down taking the central tube with it . At present it has a water depth of about 5cm forming and when the centre pole kinks it seems to let some water off and doesn't bow down any further I hope

Anyone else had this ? Anyone know an email address for kampa so I can ask them ? I'm in austria at the moment and a little concerned in damaging my very expensive awning...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it seems quite common on air beam awnings from what i have seen. plus sagging/deforming in high winds

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I'm really happy with the awning upto now, was just a bit shocked to be sat in it under very heavy rain and see the roof drop down 6 inches

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could double check the pressure in the tube, if it isn't a high as it should be it will 'sag' a bit, same for the tube. If this is really worrying you, you could see if there's somewhere you could get a clothes prop or something which you could try to make into either a temporary brace from your MH to the awning tube, or more easily, just push it up to take the excess out of the material and make a slight 'peak' so the water can't gather in the first place. Not ideal but a possible short term solution.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had a look on Kampa web site, they appear not to list any contact details by phone or email

I had some good support from them for ours, this man was very helpful, but that was last year

Neil Yelland [mailto:Neil@kampa.co.uk

out of interest (nosiness) have you got the std height or XL, we have the XL and the joining strip you are referring to still has enough slope on it for no rain to have collected

good luck

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm really happy with the awning upto now, was just a bit shocked to be sat in it under very heavy rain and see the roof drop down 6 inches
Typical male exaggeration ... 5cm is NOT 6 inches! :LOL:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You could double check the pressure in the tube, if it isn't a high as it should be it will 'sag' a bit, same for the tube.

Whatever you do, DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED PRESSURE especially if hot weather is expected as the air inside will expand and could split the outer tube and the inner will rupture.

Peter

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
had the 2013 model sent it back this one kampa xl air beam with the awning on the mh back in not a driveaway type reorder 2014 model still had the same problem would not fit from the awning to the ground sent it back again then got the oxygen driveawahopey xl not happy with that the tubes bend at the bottom the instruction say 2 to 4 psi spoke to the rep in shepton show told to put 5.5 psi in the tubes will try it at pembrey meeting on Friday hope it fits or that will go back as well best awning vango air beam driveaway if you have a big pitch great bit of kit ray

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
out of interest (nosiness) have you got the std height or XL, we have the XL and the joining strip you are referring to still has enough slope on it for no rain to have collected

good luck[/QUOTE]

I have the std one as my motorhome is very low . In fact my height to awning is at the lower end of the allowed height. I'm not sure i understand the joining strip bit . I mean the area from my awning to the first horizontal air tube ie the bit forming the top roof bit it seems to sag a bit and hold water

Typical male exaggeration ... 5cm is NOT 6 inches!
Ha ha there is a puddle/sag with 5cm of water in it. This causes the centre pole to collapse slightly dropping the roof height to 6 inches lower :)

Ill try blowing up the poles a little more tomorrow but note John cross advice too. I believe you can't overinflated them with the supplied pump.

Gary
Ps it's stopped raining now so all is good again

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
002.JPG
I'm not sure i understand the joining strip bit . I mean the area from my awning to the first horizontal air tube

Got you now, I thought you meant the narrow strip with the beading on that attaches to your wind out

We get some water on our roof, but nothing much, I wonder if your low height is the problem, if the roof section doesn't have enough fall on it maybe

edit - also the air pressure could be to blame, there were a few scares on here a few months ago relating to over pressure, when I checked, the Kampa Air is designed for much higher pressure than we thought. Cant recall the value now, I am also sure it has a relief valve fitted

Mind you it should do for the money (y)

double edit - Been back on the Kamp web site, if using the hand pump as we do, Kampa say you can not over pressurise the awning, but suggest between 9-11 psi

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
We get some water on our roof, but nothing much, I wonder if your low height is the problem, if the roof section doesn't have enough fall on it maybe

Yes I thought it may be due to our low height too although it is within spec. It's the 3rd time it's been in rain but the first time it's done this. It was very very heavy rain though. Ill take a closer look in daylight to see if I can adjust anything to tighten that bit of fabric up somehow .

I think the worst that happens if your not here to push the water out is the roof sinks by 6 inches and a big bowl of water forms. Not ideal but ill see what I can do tomorrow in the light.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the worst that happens if your not here to push the water out

I think the worst it would do is collapse enough for the water to escape then stand back up, there is nothing to break (y)

Its no different to ours and most peoples wind outs, they have to be dewatered regularly, difference is they will break

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think the worst it would do is collapse enough for the water to escape then stand back up, there is nothing to break (y)

Its no different to ours and most peoples wind outs, they have to be dewatered regularly, difference is they will break
Not if you tilt one side down!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have got one of the old fashioned Kampa's with poles.

Exactly the same thing happens when it rains heavily. I just push the roof gently from underneath to force the water off the roof.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have got one of the old fashioned Kampa's with poles.

Exactly the same thing happens when it rains heavily. I just push the roof gently from underneath to force the water off the roof.
Buy the extra storm kit, tightwad.........;);)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun