Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Well, I just learned that I'm going to be made redundant in January. Not a surprise really but now we are going to have to put our money where our mouth is so to speak and we haven't even taken deilvery of our Voyager yet ::bigsmile:

We had planned to start touring full time in this country first but in the summer. Now we'll have to bring it forward 6 months as we cannot afford to go on paying the extortionate rent here in Surrey.

Any suggestions as to where to head for in the coldest months Jan/Feb/March. I'd really like to head for Southern France, Portugal, Spain etc., but Tina thinks we should practice here first just in case. She is just not very brave. Having said that neither am I at my age.

So where to? Scotland, Outer Hebrides or Devon. All suggestions both humerous and serious will be considerd in the same spirit.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you really must stay in England, try Devon or Cornwall, much warmer than the rest of the country. Hope you had a windy Smithy log burner fitted, dry heat keeps you as warm as toast. The only one I know of designed for motorhomes and built here in Devon.
Now if it was me, I'd be off to Spain, all that cheap banana yum yum, warm beaches and fabulous bikini clad (if they bother) girls, hee hee. Either way it is the start of the rest of your life, enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you really must stay in England, try Devon or Cornwall, much warmer than the rest of the country. Hope you had a windy Smithy log burner fitted, dry heat keeps you as warm as toast. The only one I know of designed for motorhomes and built here in Devon.
Now if it was me, I'd be off to Spain, all that cheap banana yum yum, warm beaches and fabulous bikini clad (if they bother) girls, hee hee. Either way it is the start of the rest of your life, enjoy it.

BRRRRRRRRRRRR its freezing here,woodburner on for the 5th night in a row.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
No more dangerous coming to Spain than staying in the UK. Like everywhere a bit of common sense is required.

Though it is quite cold and wet here in the Costa Del Sol, I know it will get better soon, and the sun will shine again.

We are suffering Northerly winds which is bringing the bad weather from the northern Europe. The wind will switch to the South soon:thumb:

In a few days we will have forgotten how cold and wet October was:Cool:

I am touching wood whilst typing this:ROFLMAO:

Pete:Cool:

PS You can't move for Brits down here in the winter and all willing to help out if you are having any problems. In fact you will probably learn more and more quickly than you will in the UK.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No contest head off to Spain it's no more dangerous than the UK.

Once you've learnt the ropes head inland a bit and get away from the Costa's and discover the real Spain.

Every cloud has a silver lining; see this as a new start.

Go for it you won't regret it. :thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Go South Young man, like most of us "Oldies" do. Head to Spain, anywhere south of Almeria is usually good in Jan onwards. Join the Caravan Club and purchase their site guide for Spain/ Portugal/France as there are lots of sites in there to choose from. I doubt if you would enjoy UK in the winter so pick up the courage and get going! Best wishes for your travels:Eeek:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No more dangerous coming to Spain than staying in the UK. Like everywhere a bit of common sense is required.

Though it is quite cold and wet here in the Costa Del Sol, I know it will get better soon, and the sun will shine again.

We are suffering Northerly winds which is bringing the bad weather from the northern Europe. The wind will switch to the South soon:thumb:

In a few days we will have forgotten how cold and wet October was:Cool:

I am touching wood whilst typing this:ROFLMAO:

Pete:Cool:

PS You can't move for Brits down here in the winter and all willing to help out if you are having any problems. In fact you will probably learn more and more quickly than you will in the UK.

Don`t touch mine its heading for the woodburner.

OP
OP
colonel

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I think the "go souths" have it so far then. :Cool:

Tina comes from Devon and we have lived there before. My recollections are

1) Holidays in sunny Salcombe and Dartmouth
2) Constant rain as soon as we moved there until we left again after 1 year. :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think the "go souths" have it so far then. :Cool:

Tina comes from Devon and we have lived there before. My recollections are

1) Holidays in sunny Salcombe and Dartmouth
2) Constant rain as soon as we moved there until we left again after 1 year. :ROFLMAO:

Much less rain in North Devon. Try
Devon Caravan Sites | Touring Caravans For Sale | North Devon Caravan Park | Bailey, Elddis, Coachman | Stowford, UK

reasonable prices super area great site. Good for a start anyway.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
colonel

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you Roger. Looks very promising. As you say it's a good start. Any other suggestions, just keep em coming... :RollEyes:

We always tend to forget North Devon as we know the South Hams , The Moors and Plymouth (where Tina comes from) much better.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Spain in the winter not Scotland.

When life lets me that'll be where i am for 3 months of the year.

Motorhomes are motorhomes so can be fixed anywhere, the UK is just a short flight away in case of drama's.

UK TV via sky if you must.

Go for it, you never know what around the corner:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sorry colonel to hear about your impending redundantcy, but it looks like a whole world of opportunity is about to open up for you and the good lady.::bigsmile:

Me personally, I would be off to greece, Turkey, or even Morroco. Although you say you want some practice and I fully understand that, we try to look at things that go wrong as adventures. Im sure you will have an absoloute blast. Why not add a blog to your travels so we can all keep an eye on how you are getting on? :thumb:

OP
OP
colonel

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Well haganap, as it happens, my lady wife is a writer. Nothing big time you know, just short stories and magazine articles mostly but it does bring in some extra money.

She may well write up our adventures but she tells me she has to be careful as once it's on a website as a blog, it's considered as published so she may not be able to sell any part of it.

That may sound selfish but it's all pension income you know and we're not that well off. One of the things she is really looking forward to is writing actual letters to people. She thinks that it's a dying art and I have to agree. Although I am not a technophobe being in IT, I also like receiving a nice long and informative letter to read in the comfort of our "home" which very soon will be a shiny new Swift Voyager 685.

Thanks for your good wishes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back