New municipal overnight facility in Guisborough (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Some of you will know that David Lloyd of Guisborough has been in discussions for some time with Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council to try and establish dedicated overnight parking in Guisborough - not a simple task as we found out since several hurdles have to be cleared such as changes to the Legal Orders governing issues such as sleeping in vehicles overnight - BUT - Great news at last!!

The necessary procedures have been completed and a new parking scheme in Guisborough’s Fountain Street East car park for motorhomes has been agreed and is now operational.

There is provision to park two motorhomes within the car park at a charge of £5.00 per stay. The designated area for the motorhomes is within the coach parking bays.
The maximum permitted stay is 18 hours and the parking times are from 6.00pm to 12.00pm the following day.
Normal daytime parking arrangements are unaffected for those not wishing to stay overnight.

The two bays available measure up to 17 metres long so should cater for most motorhomes.

Guisborough nestles on the gateway to the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and is a great location for anyone who wants to experience both the outstanding countryside and heritage coastline of Cleveland. This ancient market town itself has much to offer and you can get a glimpse Link Removed.

Details of the scheme are now on my website Here or you can contact Paul Castle at Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council on 01642 496427.

David (with some assistance from myself in the latter stages) has persisted for some time to try and establish this overnight facility – with the help and support of many other motorhomers who, in the early days, contacted the local authority to pledge their support by e-mail. Now it is here we would like to thank all those who helped in this way and hope that many of you will be able to take advantage of it when you are visiting the area and enjoy your stay.

There have been recent reports by local authorities of motorhome users abusing parking areas by discharging waste water and leaving litter etc so the trial scheme will be monitored for the next 12 months to determine demand but also how it is used. The findings will be used to decide if the facility will be made permanent or needs to provide more spaces and, more importantly, whether it should be extended to other locations around the area including the coast. So, please feel free to make use of it and please, please take care of it by leaving the area as you would hope to find it.

Graham

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
excellent,

first of many maybe.
Hope so John.

well done graham and all concerned.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

All the praise for this achievement should go to David. It is he who has put all the effort in over the years, I've only tagged along with a little assistance in the latter stages.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hope so John.

All the praise for this achievement should go to David. It is he who has put all the effort in over the years, I've only tagged along with a little assistance in the latter stages.

Graham

OK, well done to david but without you or someone with the same passion to get the ball rolling it wouldnt have happened.:thumb:

assuming ofcourse david works for the local council !

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
OK, well done to david but without you or someone with the same passion to get the ball rolling it wouldnt have happened.:thumb:

assuming ofcourse david works for the local council !

David doesn't work for the council - he's simply a Guisborough resident and MH owner trying to do something for fellow MH owners and the town.

He's definitely the ball roller :Smile:

Graham

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
'tis a lovely spot -
let's hope all users are good and then it is an example we can build on

go get 'em G n D

:thumb:

next stop Saltburn perhaps.

:Cool:

Last edited:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
'camping car' france has bags n stickers saying that we are:

Camping cariste ami du commerce local

perhaps we could do something similar, remind them that we're not all free-loaders
pity we've not got such a nice coverall name like caristes
motorhomers ? perhaps support local businesses

we only park in Tesco / Asda / Sainsbury's BECAUSE WE CAN!
ie no height barriers

just a thought

:Cool:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Well done gents-what about posting on the other sites now?

L

Leonard

Deleted User
Great News

Very well done, Graham and David ,your combined enthusiasm and dedication payed off in the end:Smile:,also ,well done to Redcar and Cleveland district council for their understanding and positive response,lets hope all users of this facility respect their decision and and prove to them that their stance is the way forward:thumb:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just A Thought?

Hi

Just a Thought, ASDA`s a part of Wallmart, who (in the USA) allow "overnighting" (and longer sometimes) in their Parking lots, we used this facility several times when in the U-S in 2004.

Might be worth a "small flood" of leters / e-mail`s to ASDA, to request they consider a similar arrangement here?, I might just do a (net) search and see if they have a consumer services contact.

I have done it "unofficially" in Portleven (near Aberdeen) some 10years back when we pulled onto the (ASDA) car park at 2am and went in and had breakfast (and some shopping) when they opened. They where a bit surprised I think to find 34ft of R-V parked waiting!! but no one actually aproached us to ask why or what, and of course we where gone before it got too busy.

Pete

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
:thumb:Well done David and Graham,More power to your elbows.Unfortunately we seem to lose facilities quicker than we gain them,(the same applies to us lorry drivers).Perhaps in these tighter times more towns will be wanting our custom.Thanks again for a good job well done.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
What is the nightlife like in Guisborough, is there a good pub?

Ralph

Plenty of pubs. Whilst I applaud the work carried out in getting this facility it's not somewhere I'de overnight. :Eeek: Especially at weekends.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Plenty of pubs. Whilst I applaud the work carried out in getting this facility it's not somewhere I'de overnight. :Eeek: Especially at weekends.

We're ahead of you Ken :Smile:

The subject of rowdy locals came up during discussions and the council has made arrangements for monitoring to take place to try to ensure that people don't cause trouble for anyone staying overnight.

Fountain Street is a bit set back from the main streets where (I think) the pubs tend to be - so hopefully trouble will be avoided.

Graham

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Well done everyone concerned

Well done everyone concerned - Last year I tried to get a similay arrangement here in Torbay but was turned down flat.

This year I tried for marked Motorhome/Campervan spaces in at least one car park - nothing doing!

Clearly we are not welcome in this Mayordom. I think Exmouth is much more user-friendly - and is cleaner with better facilities.

BW

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
an interesting post !......i would like to know what exmouth has to offer as i normally park up at the Haldon racecourse when travelling down to Cornwall and there are no pubs etc. within walking distance ! :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back