carthago tow bar???? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have any funsters owned a Carthago A CLASS Chic or similar and have a tow bar fitted. I am thing of buying a second hand van and have never seen a towbar on such a vehicle. The dealers are always positive but I've had to many motorhomes to believe them. Please PM me but as I'm in France may not pick up your message for a few days.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Wilf

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I'm. Pretty sure you'd be able to.get one made for it
not if its 2012 or newer you wont. after that date it must be a type approved bar and there are very very few about

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Thanks. Had a belly full of so called type approval. Doesn't appear to be many brains running it. I'll just use my local blacksmith who has made everything I've needed for 20 years. My friend had a so called type approved bar fitted to his new car last week. Drove two miles and tow bar parted company with the car leaving over ÂŁ5000 damage to car and caravan. They had fitted the wrong towbar and packed it with washers. The UK appears to be going backwards much faster than forward.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
The towbar on my van was made up as it's not an alko chassis

Having had a van with an alko chassis towbar on it I can say that the one I have now is a far superior set up and made from stronger materials

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i agree that its not always progress, but when the law changes we need to comply. oh and the towbar must have the correct label fitted to pass MOT, as well as be fitted correctly

i hope the towbar fitter who messed up is insured

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
i agree that its not always progress, but when the law changes we need to comply. oh and the towbar must have the correct label fitted to pass MOT, as well as be fitted correctly

i hope the towbar fitter who messed up is insured

Have to say that I bought my van last November the towbar on it was fitted over 3 years ago by the previous owner

It has no label or plate etc on it ....and has passed mot twice in England and once in scotland ......so I'm not sure that's a concern

I've also a factory fitted towbar on my 59 plate passat that also doesn't appear to have any sticker or plate on it

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We just had a tow bar fitted by Watling, very friendly people. Just a shame their fitter managed to lose two of the screws he removed whilst connecting the electrics in the cab!

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi - we have a '12' Carthago Chic C-line. PWS Engineering in Poole supplied the tow bar and this was fitted by Car A Tow at the same time as our A Frame. We have an Alko 'heavy' chassis. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back