Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Well a big one actually...

We left Nort-Sur- Erde or what ever it was called and headed for the Loir ...

The "Aire" we picked out (Number 49730 or 48, "Parnay") in our old all the Aires book.. Is now basically a small car park.... right on the road... I remember seeing through the tree`s a few miles further back a few mororhomes scattered around, so thought we we will go back and have a look..

Boy am I glad we did...... it`s a lovely BIG official aire,,,, shaded or open ground or both,,, not marked out you just plonk yourself where you want..

Although you cant see it very well from the M.H. because of the tree`s the Loir River is beside the site... and there is a cycle walkway running alongside the camp/Aire and river..

Supposed to be a huge Chateu near,,,, not found that yet...

A guy comes round at 6pm to collect your 5 euros.... Dump, Water, Grey/Black..

And a bonus it will take as big a rig with trailer that you want... and the service point is easy in/out right at the entrance...

As far as I can tell it`s not in the aires book...

Very quite, well away from the road.... and dead opposite the entrance is a large restaurant.... dont know what else is in the vicinity, as we have not explored yet..

Some may have been here before, but thought well worth a mention...

Few Photo`s.. (y)

DSC00434 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC00435 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC00436 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC00437 (600 x 450).jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wonder if it was Municipal campsite once, or a private one which closed?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
That looks good Mo, have you the co-ordinates for it please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Here you go, Keith.. This should be them, if not get back to me...

Not very good with Sat-Nav`s... :(:)

N47.24212 X W0.02318...

I have got to give the computer up to our Paul..... he is champing at the bit to play a game..:(

If any one googles it and finds anything interesting within walking distance.... give us a shout.. (y) We no nothing of the immediate area..

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Here you go, Keith.. This should be them, if not get back to me...

Not very good with Sat-Nav`s... :(:)

N47.24212 X W0.02318...

I have got to give the computer up to our Paul..... he is champing at the bit to play a game..:(

If any one googles it and finds anything interesting within walking distance.... give us a shout.. (y) We no nothing of the immediate area..
That looks brill Mo, found it on Google Maps looks a nice area.
The Château du Hureau is only a short walk along the road from you and appears to be a wine estate of some note. :wine:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Chateau Saumur is about 2.5 miles WNW of you Mo, that is to say turn right out of your present Aire and drive for 2.5 miles.

Give our best wishes to Judy and Paul...........Griff (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
mo, how are you getting on without your car, are you missing it or glad you left it

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
mo, how are you getting on without your car, are you missing it or glad you left it

Missing it in some respects,,,, :(

As we are restricted to getting out & about a lot... hard going pushing the wheelchair... :(

But not in other respects..... as most of the Aires we have been on..... we would not have got on with a car in tow... :)

But this one is certainly not a problem.. (y)

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Broken Link Removed
Aire motorhome Saumur - Dampierre-sur-Loire
Saumur - DAMPIERRE-SUR-LOIRE
Access: RN 947 - behind the town hall of Dampierre-sur-Loire
GPS: Lat. 47.241159 ° / Long. -0.022600 ° This parking area, shaded, is ideally situated on the route "La Loire à vélo" whose bicycle facility allows you to reach the center of Saumur, located 5 kilometers away -.Paying 40 locations . Price:.. € 5 per night - Supply of drinking water, drain sewage and gray water - public toilets nearby, playground, tennis court - Open from April 4 to November 2, 2014..

John

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
stoped here in August, The resturant opersite called la amuse-bouche is amasing its only open 3 days a week now but well worth getting the credit card out. I had liver with chocolate sauce and it was to die for

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Chateau Saumur is about 2.5 miles WNW of you Mo, that is to say turn right out of your present Aire and drive for 2.5 miles.

Give our best wishes to Judy and Paul...........Griff (y)

yes you have to back to the roundabout by the bridge, theres some parking there and its a fair walk form there, I dont think you will get closer with your monster van. if you lke seafood the best seafood resturant in fance ( in my opinion) is called le grand blu service is typicly french with food of the Gods

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We stopped for a couple of days at the aire at Turquant, just a Km west of Parnay. Lovely air.
I believe quite a few campsite in the area have closed down and been turned over to motorhomes.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
stoped here in August, The resturant opersite called la amuse-bouche is amasing its only open 3 days a week now but well worth getting the credit card out. I had liver with chocolate sauce and it was to die for

Liver with chocolate sauce?

My wife eats stuff like that, I stay well clear

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We found that Aire, it's a good one. We rode our bikes to Samur to collect some post in the local post office. Only took overnight to get there. Not riding our bikes, the post I mean.
It used to be a campsite I think as there was a derelict washroom in the middle of the Aire. But there are new toilets and a newish Bourne area. We didn't use the restaurant as it was closed being out of season.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
We found that Aire, it's a good one. We rode our bikes to Samur to collect some post in the local post office. Only took overnight to get there. Not riding our bikes, the post I mean.
It used to be a campsite I think as there was a derelict washroom in the middle of the Aire. But there are new toilets and a newish Bourne area. nWe didn't use the restaurant as it was closed being out of seaso.

was this the one on the same side as the aire? if so it was closed in august, sadly a sign of the times. The one I was refering to is accross the road, called amuse-bouch, its only open 3 days a week now again a sign of less custom because of people lower spending powers

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Isn' t that near Fontevraude Abbey ? If it is, it's certainly worth a visit, Henry II and Richard Lionheart are buried there and there are wonderful effigies of them and Elineor of Aquitane. We bought some vin blanc from Saumur too, it was gorgeous. Wish we'd seen this aire. Will mark it for next time, thanx :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thank goodness for follow up posts, would have missed this one

nice find Mo, now on my list for next month (y)

and thanks to Keith for the map update (y)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
thank goodness for follow up posts, would have missed this one

nice find Mo, now on my list for next month (y)

and thanks to Keith for the map update (y)

You will need a bike, David.... (y)

It`s quite a walk from any where interesting...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You will need a bike, David.... (y)

It`s quite a walk from any where interesting...

Thanks Mo

Bev might have our electric bike, me and Lola will plod along for a few yards

Did you eat over the road? Just looking for one night stops with an eat option

(y)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Long walk into town... :(

No we didn`t eat there..... we thought the second night we would.... walked over the road about 6 pm.... and they were just closing.... :(

So go early if you go... well before 6pm... obviously not enough trade in the evening to warrant keeping open..

The guy who comes and collects your 5 euros each evening will take your order for fresh bread and Qusonts (spelling error.:RollEyes:) if you want them in the morning and you collect them from the information shed at the entrance.... Quasi things are the best we have had... (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back