Wild Camping, no wonder its frowned upon. (1 Viewer)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Like lots of people we do occasionally enjoy a bit of wild camping.

Most of us try to keep as low a profile as possible and try to look like were not camping, and not upset the locals.

We are currently parked on a lane just north of Bamburgh Castle facing onto the beach and overlooking the castle. The sun is shining and its beautiful. ( some of you will know this spot )

There are a limited number of places in this parking area and this is shared between a few motorhomes and local beach goes.

However, one of the motorhomes has set out all its tables and chairs in the adjacent parking bay and another has erected a full awning into the next bay.

This leaves very little space for others who wish to park here.

No wonder local authorities and residents get p*##%d of with us when people behave like this.

Neil.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Careful Neil, they might be Diddy Coys, and could have your expedition truck dismantled within minutes.
clear.png

Glad to hear that you and Pat are managing some quality time together.
clear.png

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It really annoys me when people act like that. Chris Calvert at Bamburgh Castle is as helpful as he can be in providing daytime parking. Thus is what he said back in December:
We are happy to accommodate motorhomes in our car park at the same charge as cars £2 a day and always try to position them with views out over the beach rather than inland.

There are still some issues with 'wild' camping on the Wynding road which have already resulted in barriers being put in place on the two car parks and talk of posts or similar to prevent overnight parking in the third car park. The unfortunate result of this is that it will prevent parking during the day as well. We are going to try with signs again first, but they keep getting removed.
Is it any wonder we see more height barriers? :mad:

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We had actually paid for camping furtger down the road, but pat was not well enough to get to the beach, so we have parked up here so that we can have a little walk on the beach. One ofthe car park that has a no overnight camping sign up closer to the castle had a few tents up in te parking area.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
No that car park i think has the height restriction. If you go about 1/4 mile past it away from the castle its a long layby on tge beach side. The bay however, is deep enough to park at right angles to the road. Loads of space for everyone if a little consideration is shown

Neil

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's a perennial problem Neil. The parking opposite the castle is free, motorhome friendly but no overnighting which is fine by me. We park there from time to time and if we have family who come and visit we put chairs out at the back of the MH on the grassy bank, out of sight, as there is not enough space inside the MH for us all. We do NOT stay overnight and usually go into Bamburgh for a drink / meal / ice cream. The chairs are put away as soon as we are done with them and they are never put where they would stop anyone else parking.

The car park further down between Bamburgh and Seahouses has toilets (and a charge) and views to the dunes but not the sea. I have never taken the MH there so can't say if there is a height barrier as we tend to say at the parking opposite the castle and cycle down to Seahouses for exercise and then a bag of chips.

Another good free parking spot is the big layby further north by Budle Bay and that one is great for bird watchers as it looks over the mud flats - pretty when the tide is in as well. I'm not sure about over night parking there. I hope the link works.

http://goo.gl/maps/fe2T2

If you look there are good discrete over nighting spots down the A1 and the A697 where no one would be annoyed (given no rubbish left etc).

I just don't understand the need to spoil things for everyone.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had actually paid for camping furtger down the road, but pat was not well enough to get to the beach, so we have parked up here so that we can have a little walk on the beach. One ofthe car park that has a no overnight camping sign up closer to the castle had a few tents up in te parking area.
I wasn't having a go at you Neil. I realised you had just parked up rather than being camped.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another good free parking spot is the big layby further north by Budle Bay and that one is great for bird watchers as it looks over the mud flats - pretty when the tide is in as well. I'm not sure about over night parking there.
There is no national legislation against camping in laybys and so long as there is no local order in place it is perfectly legal - see Here. It's different for private property like Bamburgh Castle though. Quite apart from the inconvenience caused, if the owners allow camping without a site licence then they make themselves liable to prosecution.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is no national legislation against camping in laybys and so long as there is no local order in place it is perfectly legal - see Here.
Perhaps I should say I don't know if there is a local order prohibiting camping there! Lots of good campsites very near anyway.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Go have a shit in their awning.

I know it will have been written / said as a 'joke' but its not relevant or funny (to me at least) more worrying is the number of likes

maybe it is me who is out of sync

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know it will have been written said as a 'joke' but its not relevant or funny (to me at least) more worrying is the number of likes

maybe it is me who is out of sync

nah.. I didn't think it funny either, but that's forum life, no point in stressing :)

I'm often out of sync, so you'll be in good company .. ;)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
go talk to them and explain what problems they are causing for everyone.
I doubt if you would get a favourable response from the type of camper that behaves in this way, you’d probably get a mouthful of abuse or worse,responsible campers wouldn’t need to be reminded of the problems they are causing for the responsible campers among us, they just don’t give a toss.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When you're really cross about some inconsiderate twerp (mine was one who insisted on leaving their car half way across my drive) I have a solution. A4 self-adhesive labels have plenty of room for a (polite) explanation as to why they shouldn't do what they are doing. And they take a great deal of time to remove from the portion of windscreen directly in front of the driver. Mine permanently solved the careless (or rather couldn't care less) parking problem.

FataMorgana

Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
newbie 10Sept 2020
The above Puddleduck links are not working.

Does anyone have a definite answer or links to "can motorhomes park up anywhere and what rules might apply?"

Is there or are there apps to help ID sites where "wild camping" is either permitted or tolerated?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
This is a very old thread.
If you have a specific question please begin a new thread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back