Northern lights tonight in uk (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Normally we'd have to travel up towards the North Pole
But tonight the display, known as the aurora borealis, is forecast to be on show in northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I've always wanted to see them and if I wasn't spending the weekend in cardiff with some girlfriends I'd be jumping in the motorhome and travelling North.

They will be best seen around midnight, somewhere with no street lights.

So whose up for a game of spot the aurora? Photos please. Good luck fellow Funsters, may the force be with you.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
But it's from a very reliable source....the daily mail and we all know everything they print is true. ;)

You've just burst the bubble of my excitement with your scientific link, I'll go back to my packing :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
But it's from a very reliable source....the daily mail and we all know everything they print is true. ;)

I'm sure the Daily Mail will sack their science correspondent for not telling the truth, and for failing to meet the paper's high journalistic standards. Don't you worry on that count.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

Thanks for the heads up Dawn, I keep a regular eye on this myself, but never expect much this early in the year, although the sun sends out the same bursts all year round, it is usually not dark enough to see the effects here

There has been some activity overnight so the DM might be right (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
And thanks for the link from me too. Had four winters in North Norway and saw the phenomenon many times. I was never anything but totally awestruck at natures majesty.(waxing lyrical....sorry!) In 2017 Mrs BB and self are going so that she can see them too! Best times are Sept and Feb according to Tromso University.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My OH spent army time in Norway and we planned to travel there in our motorhome. Of course we never got to do that. The winter after he died I went up in a Northern Lights flight-- the polarity changed just before take off and it was the only one of their flights that winter that didn't see any lights!

Maybe one day...........

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
And thanks for the link from me too. Had four winters in North Norway and saw the phenomenon many times. I was never anything but totally awestruck at natures majesty.(waxing lyrical....sorry!) In 2017 Mrs BB and self are going so that she can see them too! Best times are Sept and Feb according to Tromso University.

I didn't know that, right that is next September sorted, we are off to the top of Norway / Sweden before the weather closes in (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
My OH spent army time in Norway and we planned to travel there in our motorhome. Of course we never got to do that. The winter after he died I went up in a Northern Lights flight-- the polarity changed just before take off and it was the only one of their flights that winter that didn't see any lights!

Maybe one day...........

Me too H, I can remember some winters that were poor and others that were truly spectacular with shows every night for a week. Don't despair where there's a will(y), but Norway in winter isn't the place to mess with the weather so if you go you need to prepare well.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having experienced a total solar eclipse in 1999 and the eye of a hurricane in 2004, the aurora borealis is the last natural phenomenon on my bucket list. I think it'll have to be an autumn MH trip to Norway.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I didn't know that, right that is next September sorted, we are off to the top of Norway / Sweden before the weather closes in (y)

David I can't find the link but Tromso uni does a lot of weather research and certainly we used their stats whenever we deployed. Part of the research covers 'the lights'. Have a look online I'm sure you'll find it. Best place for us was about 20 kms outside Alta where there was no light pollution of any kind........absolutely magic on a clear night!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having experienced a total solar eclipse in 1999 and the eye of a hurricane in 2004, the aurora borealis is the last natural phenomenon on my bucket list. I think it'll have to be an autumn MH trip to Norway.
Interesting bucket list. Natural phenomenon. Haven't done a hurricane but had my trousers burned by a volcano once. A tidal wave I'll happily pass on.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Way hay....... Saw the northern lights from down here in Suffolk!!!

Edit - Mrs Deluxe tells me to lay off the scotch and that it was only next door checking on their horses :blush:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Saw the Northern Lights 2 weeks ago. We were in Alberta Canada though. Amazing!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
No Northern lights in cardiff bay last night but some "interesting sights" curtesy of the many stag parties. Message to self, never ask a man in a kilt if he's a true scot. #mentallyscarredforlife

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No Northern lights in cardiff bay last night but some "interesting sights" curtesy of the many stag parties. Message to self, never ask a man in a kilt if he's a true scot. #mentallyscarredforlife

You mean it is a worse sight than Shifty's hat?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun