Economic cruise control (1 Viewer)

jools

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Funster No
I Thought I'd let you all know about my recent purchase of a Conrad Anderson throttle lock from; Link Removed

It's not a full cruise control in the accepted sense but is a lock that will hold the throttle in a steady position and allow you to rest that right leg when burning up the motorway. The unit is switched on by pressing a lever when the required speed is achieved and then switching off by hitting the red button or by just touching the brake pedal.

My cheque went off on Tuesday this week and I got the unit on Thursday, an excellent service,, and at £52.95 including postage,,,,, a reasonable price.

This morning I set to and after a bit of chin scratching to find the best position I got it all fitted and working in just over half and hour and am well pleased with the result. Apart from fitting the control box and the cable to the throttle lever, I had to connect one electrical wire to earth and another to the brake light switch with a scotch-block

Here are a couple of pics of my 1990 Peugeot 2.5D non turbo;

The cable outer was fitted through a hole I drilled into the existing cable bracket and the inner cable looped around the existing return spring on the throttle lever. Enough bits and pieces were supplied to enable easy fitting to a variety of engines

DSCF1138.jpg

I mounted the control box to the side of my reversing camera bracket

DSCF1140.jpg

Now I've had a cup of tea all that remains for me to do is cable-tie up the wires and look forward to some less stressful cruising :D

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well done and a useful bit of kit at reasonable price,BUT,theres always a BUT isn't there, the use of a scotch lock in a safety critical area is not recommended, they are notorious electrical failures waiting to happen, take a few Min's and solder the joint:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
jools

jools

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Funster No
Point taken,,,,,,, and I've slapped my hand :Sad: I only used the scotch-block because I couldn't find a piggy-back spade terminal in my tool box,, it will be no trouble to rectify this after I've been to the shops

,,,, thanks for the fillip Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Might well be interested myself in this.

If I can find a long enough piece of road in this country to use it....:ROFLMAO:

Used it in the States all the time.

I assume this just holds the throttle opening and does not keep a stable speed up and down inclines.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i remember the old LADA's had a manual version of this.

as they used 'em as tractors ect they had a hand throttle.....bit of a bugger finding the knob if you had to stop quick.........but there again... was it possible to stop quick in a LADA:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
mechanical cruise control add on

Hi Jools
I'm a bit concerned about mechanically 'locking' the throttle in position. I'm no car mechanic but it does sound just a tad disconcerting. Let us know how it goes, over time please.
:Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jools
I'm a bit concerned about mechanically 'locking' the throttle in position. I'm no car mechanic but it does sound just a tad disconcerting. Let us know how it goes, over time please. :Confused:
It doesn't, it works almost as do most factory fitted units, and releases on braking:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back