Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
After viewing migrants who show no concern and going to any lengths to reach the uk I
Am of the opinion to travel to Dunkirk or use the Channel Tunnel.

One lady had a migrant unknowingly stowed himself in her car! The officials at the ferry port just haven't the resources to deal with the numbers ... Very concerning.

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
In france they are checking vehicles for migrants make sure they are legit? BE AWARE:cool::cool:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't think the French police care, they just want rid of them and getting to the UK is indeed a way to get rid of them. Don't the Brit police look after the Chunnel?

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I've just cancelled the ferry & booked the tunnel for when we come back in 3 weeks. Don't want to risk any damage to the M/H or taking a passenger & possible fine.

PS. I took it as a joke as well! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On the one hand I do feel sorry for them as they are only looking for a better life but why here? They have crossed quite a few countries to get to Calais and not found what they are looking for, why not? Is France so bad? That's what I don't understand.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't forget to check under the bike rack cover I see there was a post of this happening recently and when they checked an immigrant fell out!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not wishing to add to the concerns of those above, but I am pretty sure all the recent 'stowaways' 2 on here forum members and the lady with the man in her Fiat Panda all used the Chunnel

The weak link appears to be the pet passport area, all had been through there

We are fans of the chunnel and are booked for October and will not be changing, we also have a dog

(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that we use it as well we need to be on our guard our return in the Spring

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I must say I'm a bit surprised that those reported had stowed away on a vehicle presumably carrying a dog as it was in the pet check area? did the dog not raise the alarm. I find that a little disturbing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I must say I'm a bit surprised that those reported had stowed away on a vehicle presumably carrying a dog as it was in the pet check area? did the dog not raise the alarm. I find that a little surprising.

When you get to the pet check area, it can often be quite manic, but you have to take your dog into an office area to be scanned for chip and their passport stamped, typically leaving MH empty, we pet owners like to do everything together you know :LOL:

It doesn't account for the Panda tale though, dogs and illegal in such close proximity, but the lady looked genuine enough and the guy was arrested soon after

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:cheers:we will have to let the dogs sniff around before getting back in

OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
I just think all of this is alarming when you have Sudanese. Afghanistan, IRaqs Syrian's etc congregating at the Port . As the majority have come via Italy paying traffickers they are very desperate and would go to any lengths to get into the uk knowing the majority will simply vanish.

I won't be using Calais and would pay the extra to use the Chunnel or other Ports taking some risk out of the equation.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I just think all of this is alarming when you have Sudanese. Afghanistan, IRaqs Syrian's etc congregating at the Port . As the majority have come via Italy paying traffickers they are very desperate and would go to any lengths to get into the uk knowing the majority will simply vanish.

I won't be using Calais and would pay the extra to use the Chunnel or other Ports taking some risk out of the equation.

The 2 posts on here with stowaways on their MH's both came through the Chunnel!!

OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Not having used the Chunnel I can't say what the security set up is , but there haven't been reports of hundreds of Migrants at the terminal .. Does one have to stay in their vehicle using the Chunnel if so the occupants must have known they were carrying someone.

OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
I don't know what the security set up is at the Chunnel Terminal but their are no reports of hundreds of migrants congregating there.

Does one have to stay in their vehicles using the Chunnel or lock vehicle and take a walk around?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
security is reasonably tight I would say, but not used now for 18 months, suspect it will a bit tighter from now on

you technically can do everything without leaving your MH, unless instructed to do, they are ridiculously keen on gas checks, you usually have to stop and open locker to confirm the gas is actually turned off at the cylinder

when on the train it is totally your choice stay in or walk around, loads of people walk past all the time, as we have a loo on board we do not bother moving, have resisted the temptation to turn gas back on and make a coffee so far

I can't quote specifics on where the potential stowaways are living / waiting, but would expect the Chunnel to be as bad as the ferry terminal

We will be sticking with the Tunnel though, making sure garage is locked before we get anywhere near Calais and maybe as other posters have suggested, saying we think we have just seen someone go under our MH, let the authorities check. After that point I think there is virtually no chance they will still get on / in / under (y)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I haven't used the port at Calais for over 10 years and cant remember how far outside the ports perimeter you have to queue. I use the tunnel about two to three times a year and other than Pet Passport area and Cite Europe I can't see how it they would be able to jump on the van unnoticed. We always drive in from the A16 and go straight to check in, then its all border checks and then its all very secure.

I have always been a little wary of staying at Cite Europe, which annoys me greatly as it would be very convenient, However every time I have driven around there I have noticed a few illegals wandering around. I never stop at pet pass port either so cant comment on this.

I will be returning on the tunnel in fortnight and will not stop until we are in the secure area. I will be taking a peak under the van when stopping at the shop. I don't see any reason not to ask the border people to check if I am concerned.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well! I think the timing is right for the French authorities to allow this to happen. By that I mean they have shot their bolt so to speak and will now be compelled to take action especially as it has become international news.
This morning I read the French have brought in more police to control this situation and I suspect the Mayor of Calais has been pulled to one side and given a bit of a roasting for allowing things to get out of hand. I suspect in a few weeks time this will be resolved. Another massive camp I suspect or perhaps catching them when they enter France and preventing the problem happening at Calais and other ports.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Came back to UK through Dunkerque a few days ago on DFDS ferry. Security was very tight. The French checked my MH twice! I was pulled over after leaving the border control and then two guys came along the line checking other vehicles as we were queueing in the marked embarkation bays. They looked all over the 'van and asked to go inside the hab' area. Quite impressive.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It doesn't account for the Panda tale though, dogs and illegal in such close proximity, but the lady looked genuine enough and the guy was arrested soon after

She said she realised there was someone there when the dog went crazy.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
From tonight's news it looks like they have called in the CRS which is the French riot police . I wouldn't worry too much . Just stay vigilant .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back